newbie paint question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazymatt

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I recently bought a used scx10 jeep Rubicon jk and I'm currently waiting for delivery. The question is if there is any way to paint the body a different color? I undetstand that rc vehicles are painted Frome the inside. Is there any way to just paint on he outside?

You can paint on the outside but it won't last. The first time you drop the body or crash, the paint will scratch off and once it starts coming off there's no stopping it.

For better adhesion you could scuff it up before painting. While I dont use it as much as I used to some of the guys I used to crawl with have bodies painted like that and they actually dont look that bad. Just keep in mind everytime you scratch it you will have a different color showing thru

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I might just scuff it and try it. The jk body idont care about too much anyway as I want to build a tj body after my real tj rig.

You can also try stripping the paint off with Dot 4 brake fluid and then repainting it but its a process.

I custom airbrush for a living. I primarily paint plastics and I use auto paints and auto urethane clear coat . I understand most people will not have the airbrushes and all the automotive paint/supplies but here's how it would work best if you did. Prep the surface with a red scotch Brite pad. # 7440 I think. It's the maroon one. Don't dig into the plastic. Just scuff lightly until it all has a matte finish. Prime with base sealer or white paint. Spray the color and design and then use something to sit the body on from the inside while keeping it level. Spray thin coats of urethane clear about 5 times with a min. between each coat. Keep in a heated area around 80* for 24 hours. You can handle it after that time. It will still be soft enough to trim any cured drips with a razor or exacto from the bottom edges of the body.

I realize most people don't have this set up. You could use the scotch Brite pad(from any auto paint store) and whatever paint you have. They sell aresol cans of some good clears for $20-$30. They are usually used for spot repairs on bumpers or body parts.

That is about the best way I can think of for outer body painting. I have not done this on an rc body yet but thats how I paint plastics. Hope some of this helps

Not a bad suggestion Ford, providing you use a paint specifically made for lexan application. I'm not sure auto paint will adhere and typically needs a curing. Lexan based paints need to just dry and bash. Non lexan paints are typically not made to flex and when you drag your body across rocks or flip over the plastic is going to flex and start to chip off the non lexan based paints.

I'll admit I'm no expert with lexan or rc lids. But most of the auto paints I use are water based and I use a lot of overhead projector film to make stencils with because they are so flimsy and I can get hard angles with it. They have tons of paint on them from use and no cracking or flaking. That's just stencils so no clear on them. I've got a few that are creased for corners. The lacquer paints are more advanced and require some curing time. But they are both dried in seconds by using a hair dryer on high with med heat. But I strongly suggest water based auto paints or createx. Just easier for novice painters. I use them all together in combinations on certain paint schemes. Urethane clear works great on all of them.

But by no means am I trying to say I'm right. I have not painted a lid. I will and let you guys know how well it works. I'm just offering what I know from my work on plastics. Just trying to help if I can. Hope I didn't come across the wrong way. Not my intention at all. You guys here have been more than helpful with my newbie questions and guided me to my 1st nitro buy. It's in the mail.

No offense taken. Just giving a heads up with what I've used and painted. Auto paint may work just fine. Dont know I've never used it. Its just that any paint can't be used because some normal rattlecans do not have any agents in them to allow them to flex with the lexan. The first couple bodies I did was with a regular rattlecan and by the 3rd time out the body looked like it had leopracy as the paint was just flaking and peeling off in huge chunks. Theres a few solid painters that occasionally troll this forum so I'm sure they will chime in. Again no offense taken. The whole idea is to have a place where we can all give opinions and experiences with what we have dealt with in hopes of helping each other out.:)

Thanks. I was talking about airbrushing the car but I understand most people don't have them laying around. I didn't take into account that a lot of rc shops sell the paint in spray cans and that might be the most common way of painting lids. Back when I got out of rc cars 20 years ago I didn't have an airbrush and I remember spraying mine with small cans. I'll experiment when I get my savage. Well, not right away. I'm still working on buying a good quick charger for roto start. But when I buy a lid I'll be sure and post it up when I'm done airbrushing it. Now I'm just down right curious.:D

in my opinion it would just be easier to buy a new body and paint that. it will look much better too.