Newbie needs advise

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fraz720

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys I got a big question for you. Here’s the scenario. I work on the rigs and live on site for weeks at a time. Sometimes it’s slow and boring and I thought rc cars might be a cool time killer. Where would you start as far as types, sizes, brands to go with and avoid, ext? Lots of country roads, open space and always 10 to 20’ dirt piles and berms surrounding us which would be the best part. I want something that can really chew up them hills. 5 to 700 budget. Maybe a couple units for under 1k combo. Thanks

ARRMA is a safe bet, reasonably durable and you won't get nickle and dimed on necessary upgrades if were to buy TRAXXAS which would be the only brand I would caution, more info here on Traxxas:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3067295-Boycott-Traxxas

I do not own ARRMA nor do I have any ties to ARRMA, I am basing my opinion on what I have observed seeing both brands show up to race at the track in my area where ARRMA can take a decent beating and make it through many race days before I see one break. Traxxas tends to break nearly every run due to slough of design flaws with dated geometry. (UPDATE : Comparing ARRMA Senton 4WD to Traxxas Slash 4WD)

Other RTR brands to consider are NitroRCX, HoBao and Losi

Good Luck!

Last edited:
The Aarmas I owned (both 3s models) were very fragile.

The Associated MT10 has proven quite tough in my use.

My son has a Traxxas Maxx that has held up well for him.

I have a Traxxas Hoss that hasn't given me any trouble, although I did replace the shocks as a precaution, and because I prefer aluminum body shocks.

Anything from arrma. Like @bill_delong stated, Traxxas is a no go. I break my slash and rusty like every 30 seconds. Fully upgraded too. It's bad. I actually raced my slash last night on carpet. The only thing that really didn't break is the rear hub, which is plastic getting warped where the bearings is (which was upgraded to RPM)

Arrma 1:8 6s lineup will probably be the best. But doesn't hurt to look around more to see where you want to go.

One thing I consider is parts support near you in local hobby shops, online stores and ect. This is more of the racing side but can be done with bashing too.

Back