Newbie needs a charging set up for 3 Arrma BLX trucks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raptor916

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone. A month ago I bought an Arrma Granite BLX. The hobby store recommended the Spektrum s1500 charger with 3s lipo battery combo and got that for myself. A week ago I bought my kids a Granite and a Vorteks. I need help deciding how to move forward with the charging set up. Spektrum does sell the S2100 6S lipo bundle (2 3S batteries for 319. I'm guessing the main benefit of the Spektrum setup is that it will auto discharge to storage after 72 hours. If I run the battery to the end, does it get lower than the storage level and then need to be charged up to that point? I need help with fellas.

I recommend getting the "non-smart" stuff as it's twice as cheap and does the same thing and can be even better than the "smart" stuff. If it goes below storage voltage, storage charge it, if it's charged above storage voltage, storage charge it.

What pug said. Spektrum smart stuff is not that smart, and you need to learn lipo maintenance anyway.

Plenty of threads on chargers around here, and I'd recommend Hobbyking batteries (35C and above) or CNHL.

Hello everyone. A month ago I bought an Arrma Granite BLX. The hobby store recommended the Spektrum s1500 charger with 3s lipo battery combo and got that for myself. A week ago I bought my kids a Granite and a Vorteks. I need help deciding how to move forward with the charging set up. Spektrum does sell the S2100 6S lipo bundle (2 3S batteries for 319. I'm guessing the main benefit of the Spektrum setup is that it will auto discharge to storage after 72 hours. If I run the battery to the end, does it get lower than the storage level and then need to be charged up to that point? I need help with fellas.
Like the other guys said, it's best to learn yourself how to take care of LiPos, it's not too hard, don't over discharge them (it any cell goes below 3v, it's most likely not going to charge again), don't over charge them (ie. don't leave them on the charger overnight, unplug them ASAP when they're done to maximize life), storage charge them for storage, don't drop/puncture, or destroy them, and don't use a pack if it leaks stuff or is in anyway puffed! It'll get easier as you do it more and more, don't worry.

Taking care of your packs yourself is better, and cheaper, plus, if a "Smart" charger glitches or something, you'd know how to charge your packs, ect. So unless you're very bad at electronics and don't have any spare time, need maximum performance out of your rig/pack, and have the money, then a normal charger will do you fine, and a charger with a screen and some adjustability will be even better, and much cheaper! I know that @pug has a Hitech charger that he really likes, and I think it's under $150, and has lots of features (correct me if I'm wrong @pug!)

It may be complicated at first, and the Smart charger route is tempting, but try the tried and true, do-it-yourself method! Welcome to the forum and RC! Oh, and a last note, don't leave your LiPos fully charged for 3 days, preferably discharge them to storage charge by the end of the day to maximize life and performance of the pack!

if you do go below 3 volts a cell you can bring it up to a voltage your charger will be able to charge,make 1 of these charge on nimh mode watch voltage take it up to 4 only
single cell ballance plug.jpg

Like the other guys said, it's best to learn yourself how to take care of LiPos, it's not too hard, don't over discharge them (it any cell goes below 3v, it's most likely not going to charge again), don't over charge them (ie. don't leave them on the charger overnight, unplug them ASAP when they're done to maximize life), storage charge them for storage, don't drop/puncture, or destroy them, and don't use a pack if it leaks stuff or is in anyway puffed! It'll get easier as you do it more and more, don't worry.

Taking care of your packs yourself is better, and cheaper, plus, if a "Smart" charger glitches or something, you'd know how to charge your packs, ect. So unless you're very bad at electronics and don't have any spare time, need maximum performance out of your rig/pack, and have the money, then a normal charger will do you fine, and a charger with a screen and some adjustability will be even better, and much cheaper! I know that @pug has a Hitech charger that he really likes, and I think it's under $150, and has lots of features (correct me if I'm wrong @pug!)

It may be complicated at first, and the Smart charger route is tempting, but try the tried and true, do-it-yourself method! Welcome to the forum and RC! Oh, and a last note, don't leave your LiPos fully charged for 3 days, preferably discharge them to storage charge by the end of the day to maximize life and performance of the pack!
My Hitec charger is good, but it's a single channel charger, maybe the Hota D6 Pro that @WickedFog uses would work better in their application.

Thanks guys. I definitely want a dual channel. I'm looking at the Hota D6 Pro, HTRC T240 Duo and a couple others. My neighbor across the street has the HTRC and likes it a lot. Wicked knows his stuff and likes the Hota D6 Pro. Help a brotha pick one lol

This is the Hobbymate version. Same charger as D6 Pro

Thanks guys. I definitely want a dual channel. I'm looking at the Hota D6 Pro, HTRC T240 Duo and a couple others. My neighbor across the street has the HTRC and likes it a lot. Wicked knows his stuff and likes the Hota D6 Pro. Help a brotha pick one lol
HTRC has some poor QC in my experience, I had a C240 Duo and the voltages were way off.

As far as I've heard and seen, the D6 Pro is just the faster version of the D6. It may have one or two more features, I'm not sure. You can make the call if a little faster charging and maybe an extra feature or two is worth the extra $60-$70. If I were in your shoes, I'd go for the D6, as I don't need super fast charging, and, plus, most of the time you probably won't be charging packs at those amps/Cs, as it'll wear your packs out much faster. Save that money for LiPo bags, 1 or 2 LiPo alarms (~$4 each), and perhaps some truck upgrades!

The D6 doesn't have AC power supply built in. It is DC only. Just saw that a bit ago in a vid. The D6 Pro does.

Last edited:
Back