Newbie needing a Buggy (Electric)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdecoudres

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am am new to the RC world and want to give it a whirl at the local level. My local track does 1/8 outside dirt and needing someone to recommend a buggy that will be competitive once I figure out the ends and outs. Is these older buggies just as fast as a newer RC 8B3.2? I need all the information and help you all will throw at me.

There are a lot of options. Do you want to jump in with the latest and greatest or with something that is competitive on the rookie level and a lot more cost effective and build it up as you get better? In other words, do you want to spend about $800 or $1600 to get started? I'm guessing you're wanting to go nitro over electric.

There are a lot of options. Do you want to jump in with the latest and greatest or with something that is competitive on the rookie level and a lot more cost effective and build it up as you get better? In other words, do you want to spend about $800 or $1600 to get started? I'm guessing you're wanting to go nitro over electric.
Sorry no I'm wanting to go electric. I don't need the latest and greatest just something that will compete with that but allow me to build up as I get more knowledge.

My personal opinion is the Kyosho MP9e Evo V2. It is based on the race version of the MP9, which a lot of people still race with. There are a ton of aftermarket parts for it, so you can upgrade to be the latest and greatest as you get better. It will even fit the MP9 TKI parts. The MP10 is the newest version, but you will be spending a lot more. However, like I mentioned, there are still a lot of racers, in the Sportsman class, that still run the MP9 platform. Check with your track if you can run the supplied motor in a race. Otherwise, all you need are a couple batteries, a charger, and the proper tires for the track.

https://www.kyoshoamerica.com/34111-inferno-mp9e-evo-v2-readyset.html

Kyosho and Tekno are good. Id also look at the Losi 8ight-XE and the Associated RC8b3.2E. Any of them are going to be competitive on any level. Xray and Serpent also make high end race buggies.

Kyosho and Tekno are good. Id also look at the Losi 8ight-XE and the Associated RC8b3.2E. Any of them are going to be competitive on any level. Xray and Serpent also make high end race buggies.
Xray was one I was trying to remember. There is also another brand I can't remember right off hand that is big here, but I had never heard of it before seeing some guys talking about it. Trying to find the post on our local track's FB page about it. It looked like a really nice kit.

Oh, nevermind. That was a nitro I think.

Xray was one I was trying to remember. There is also another brand I can't remember right off hand that is big here, but I had never heard of it before seeing some guys talking about it. Trying to find the post on our local track's FB page about it. It looked like a really nice kit.

Oh, nevermind. That was a nitro I think.
Mugen is another high end race brand.

Mugen is another high end race brand.
It was an off the wall brand that only made a single race buggy I believe. Probably a small shop pumping out parts. They're kinda like the Raminator company. Really high end, pricey stuff.

Thank you, I guess I should clarify, I was wondering about some good older models that would keep up
With the guys using a newer model
Buggy that still has the availability for parts ect.

I would like to be around $600ish.just going to build a little at a time. That’s why I thought if I could get a deal on a older one, I could use extra money for electronics ect.

You can try this one. They have a red version also. when parts break, you can still upgrade them with the pro parts. You can go with a used buggy, but you run into the problem of not knowing where it has been. Everyone tries to sell their buggies while claiming they only have a couple race days on them.

Just another thought.

https://www.kyoshoamerica.com/34108T1-INFERNO-NEO30-VE-T1-Green_p_26139.html

Hyper VSE is probably a good choice. Leave ya almost half your budget to buy electronics with although this kit doesn't come with a transmitter/receiver So youd have to buy that too if you dont already have one but then again if you dont already have a good radio then you're going to need to buy one regardless for racing.

https://www.hobao-usa.com/product/hb-vse/

get 1 the other drivers run. if theres a shop at the track they will have parts for most of the buggies that race there.

Back