Newbie motor upgrade recommendations

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haggardblair

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, like I said I'm a newbie so forgive me if I use any incorrect terminology. I have a team associated rc8.2e. a few upgraded shiny aluminum bits but for the must part it's stock.

I was thinking about upgrading the motor to make it a bit faster. The factory motor is a Reedy 1515sl 2000kv. Would anyone be able to make some recommendations on motors that would be a bit faster but wouldn't destroy the car... Or my bank account ;) .... I'm thinking about $150 price range.

Thanks for any input. Cheers

Speed comes from gearing also, depends on your goals. How fast are you looking for it to go? Racing or bashing? Sometimes going to a higher amp battery or more cells can squeak out more speed and power.

Thanks for the response, I'm definitely just blasting this thing around empty parking lots and some AZ deserts but no real racing. "I just want to go fast" -Ricky Bobby

So I did just order a 4s battery which I read was the highest my buggy can handle. (Currently have a 3s) But I had no idea that I could also just change gears to get more speed. That's an interesting prospect as I'm sure it's much less expensive than buying a motor.

If I started with gears is there a "ratio" that you'd recommend? Again sorry if I'm using incorrect terminology.

Thanks again for the insight.

Usually manufacturers put suggested gearing typically an option pinion gear. The smaller pinions will cause motor and esc temps to rise so you may want to research safe gearing options if the manufacturer doesn’t provide suggestions. Others with more familiarity with your specific model may have feedback on max gearing. You can also keep temps down by not launching hard on the throttle. Obviously on street you can get away with smaller pinion than off-road. Can also run taller tires to increase final drive. Sometimes adding more motor will simply destroy your driveline so you can start out by upgrading your gears to hardened steel with more optimal ratios. Then if it’s not quite the speed you want you’ll be ready for more motor. The 4s is going to be a significant upgrade.

Back