Newbie help - 144001 motor broken?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornolix

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

yesterday i've bought my first rc car which is WL 144001. After the second ride, it's motor started to make weird sounds. Additionally, after releasing a throttle, it continues to spin wheels, which is making another weird sound (all can be seen at the video). I tried to remove motor from the car, but 2 screw that hold motor mount are impossible to remove (i tried multiple different techniques including hitting a screwdriver with hammer, but after all i ended up with broken screws, I will probably need to buy some specific gear that can remove them. But what can cause those weird sounds? Did it really brake after 20 minutes of riding? Or maybe I can just ignore it? If it's broken, what's the best replacement for the stock one? I don't want to spend another 80$ for brushless motor with all those gear required for it to work properly, maybe u guys know some cheap replacement for the stock one that won't break so easly?

That is a brushed motor, and, it sounds normal to me. The gear mesh may be a bit off, but other than that, i dont hear anything odd. As for the motor still trying to spin when the throttle is released, either the end points arent set right, or the throttle trim isnt at 0. I would check the manual, and reset throttle end points, but, make sure both throttle and steering trim is set at 0 before you do.

Hello,

yesterday i've bought my first rc car which is WL 144001. After the second ride, it's motor started to make weird sounds. Additionally, after releasing a throttle, it continues to spin wheels, which is making another weird sound (all can be seen at the video). I tried to remove motor from the car, but 2 screw that hold motor mount are impossible to remove (i tried multiple different techniques including hitting a screwdriver with hammer, but after all i ended up with broken screws, I will probably need to buy some specific gear that can remove them. But what can cause those weird sounds? Did it really brake after 20 minutes of riding? Or maybe I can just ignore it? If it's broken, what's the best replacement for the stock one? I don't want to spend another 80$ for brushless motor with all those gear required for it to work properly, maybe u guys know some cheap replacement for the stock one that won't break so easly?

I dont mean to be rude or condescending but WLToys is such cheap Chinese garbage I personally dont really consider it to be hobby grade. So the answer to your question is "Yes, it really can brake after 20 minutes.". That being said, the only thing I can hear or see in your video thats off is your steering servo is intermittently "chattering". This can be caused by RFI (radio frequency interference) or could be that the servo itself has a problem and has an intermittent issue with positioning. If its not necessarily causing any issues in steering you could just ignore it. Otherwise you would have to troubleshoot whether the issue is with the servo itself or is being caused by RFI.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am just curious. Since you are.new to the hobby and don't know a lot about different cars and brands, I am wondering what made you decide that wl toys is the best beginners rc car? YouTube channels, commercial, Google, forum?

I am just curious. Since you are.new to the hobby and don't know a lot about different cars and brands, I am wondering what made you decide that wl toys is the best beginners rc car? YouTube channels, commercial, Google, forum?
Tbh i didn't do any extensive research, watched couple of videos and found some articles on google. Spent like maybe an hour on researching, and thought that WL can be a good RC car for quite a cheap price.
Thank you guys for the answers, I will just ignore it, lets see if it's a major issue, if so, then I will need to buy another motor :/

Tbh i didn't do any extensive research, watched couple of videos and found some articles on google. Spent like maybe an hour on researching, and thought that WL can be a good RC car for quite a cheap price.
Thank you guys for the answers, I will just ignore it, lets see if it's a major issue, if so, then I will need to buy another motor :/
Its not your motor, its your steering servo that is having the problem. Either that or possibly the receiver.

From what I have seen of the 144001, they look to be a decent attemp by WLToys to step up their game a bit, but I would have gone for the brushless 144010 for a few dollars more.

We see a lot of people get into the hobby buying WLToys RC's off Banggood, or similar sellers off Amazon. They are ok RC's, but the electronics in them are not built to last, and quickly fail. So in the end, a lot of people end up with electronics issues with them. So yeah, they are cheap RC's, but not so cheap by the time you replace all the electronics.

A big reason they are so popular is because of all the Youtube channels out there creating unboxing and review vids for them. Banggood will send free crap to anyone with a Youtube channel just about. But you hardly ever see any videos of WLToys RC's past the initial unboxing and first run vids. There is a very big reason for that 😉🤔

That being said, we have a WLToys 12428-B that is still going strong, 7 years after buying it. But it doesn't see a lot of action.

As far as the problem... don't mess with it. Contact Banggood or whoever you bought it from and file a support ticket. If you bought it from Banggood, after a month or two of pointless back and forth emails, maybe they will refund your money. If you bought it through Paypal, you can ultimately file a claim for a refund. Just make sure and let them know to ship it back to China will cost more than you paid for it, because it likely will.

Hello,

Hello,

My first car was this same car. They are fun cheap and fast. They are brushed and do make some motor/drivetrain noise. I still have mine and use it after several years, so don’t feel bad about buying it. One notorious thing about this (any many other cars) is that the differential(s) are usually pretty much barren of grease. The first thing to do before even running it the first time is to pack the diffs with a good lithium grease. I have 2 Arrmas, but still have loads of fun with my wl toys and HBX brushed and brushless. If they break, which they haven’t yet. I won’t be too upset. This is just my personal opinion

Write to Banggood and ask them for a replacement. If this is 20mns old I‘d send the crap back and get a new one

Write to Banggood and ask them for a replacement. If this is 20mns old I‘d send the crap back and get a new one
I bought an FT012 boat off Banggood. It made it through half a pack and the combination rx/esc went bad and lost all signal to the steering servo. After 2 months of ridiculous back and forth emails that made no sense whatsoever, they finally sent me an esc. It was covered in dirt, grease, and looked like it was at least 10 years old.

After another month of complaining to them, and filing a Paypal claim, they offered me a $50 refund on a $90 boat that was now a paperweight. I gave in and accepted the refund. Never again will I go through that. Banggood is not only full of customer service agents that are idiots, but don't speak english well enough to tell you they don't speak english.

Last edited:
A big reason they are so popular is because of all the Youtube channels out there creating unboxing and review vids for them. Banggood will send free crap to anyone with a Youtube channel just about. But you hardly ever see any videos of WLToys RC's past the initial unboxing and first run vids. There is a very big reason for that 😉🤔
They seem to only send to verified channels. When i was originally trying to grow mine, i contacted them, and they said it is dependent on amount of views and subscribers. I even tried it with AliExpress, and same thing. Now, i dont even bother with it. I dont think i have even made a video yet with anything i have gotten recently (after i lost everything), all of which is older, and i bought used.

I bought an FT012 boat off Banggood. It made it through half a pack and the combination rx/esc went bad and lost all signal to the steering servo. After 2 months of ridiculous back and forth emails that made no sense whatsoever, they finally sent me an esc. It was covered in dirt, grease, and looked like it was at least 10 years old.

After another month of complaining to them, and filing a Paypal claim, they offered me a $50 refund on a $90 boat that was now a paperweight. I gave in and accepted the refund. Never again will I go through that. Banggood is not only full of customer service agents that are idiots, but don't speak english well enough to tell you they don't speak english.
I had exactly the same, they gave me 50$ as well plus a load of shopping points for their website worth about 30$. I bought a 2nd car (not at Banggood) and now use the 1st as a parts car, after all a good deal.

Back