Newbie electric R/C drift RTR kit?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westie06516

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey guys.

I've had nitro powered street cars in the past and have been out of the hobby for sometime. Recently I've really gotten into R/C drifting after seeing a R/C club do a demo in Englishtown New Jersey one weekend when I was drag racing.

So I have no knowledge of electric R/C, how to work on them, charge batteries faster, etc.

But I'm do drawn into the idea of R/C drifting and living in a dead end with no traffic gives me the opportunity to set up a course. So I started surfing the net and saw HPI has a Mustang drift kit, but it's a bit pricey. I stumbled upon this site, www.nitrorcx.com and found a 1/10 2.4Ghz Exceed RC Electric DriftStar RTR Drift Car for only $95.00.

Is anyone familiar with this brand? Are getting extra batteries easy to find, cheap, easy to work on, good at drifting, decent build quality? I'd like to hear any feedback, opinions, or suggestions.

I'm on a budget so please keep that in mind :\

Here is a link to this RTR drift car I'm interested in: http://www.nitrorcx.com/51c806-driftstar-lightblue-24ghz.html

The video looks like it's a fun car and looks like it runs decently, but I've never heard of this brand.

I would appreciate any input and feedback on this brand or any others that are affordable for a first time electric R/C drifter.

Thanks in advance!

Exceed is well known in the RC realm.......known for being cheap pieces of crap. most folks will agree. Personally if it was me I would go for an HPI Sprint 2 Drift. Might be on the pricer side of things but one thing you dont want to do IMO is buy cheap RCs. They are generally not good quality. I've not done drifting yet so I can't really much advice on what other kits are available out there but I do know that the Sprint 2 Drift is what I would get. Part of that is based on recommendations from a couple drifters I've chatted with and part of it is because HPI makes quality kits.

Exceed is well known in the RC realm.......known for being cheap pieces of crap. most folks will agree. Personally if it was me I would go for an HPI Sprint 2 Drift. Might be on the pricer side of things but one thing you dont want to do IMO is buy cheap RCs. They are generally not good quality. I've not done drifting yet so I can't really much advice on what other kits are available out there but I do know that the Sprint 2 Drift is what I would get. Part of that is based on recommendations from a couple drifters I've chatted with and part of it is because HPI makes quality kits.

Thanks!

I had no idea Exceed where known as crap...I was very close to buying one after checking out their video and customer feedback/reviews. I've looked into the HPI drift cars and they look sick, but a bit out of my price range for the time being. I was hoping to find something a bit less expensive but with decent quality...it's not like I'm looking to compete and win...just want to have some drifting fun in my dead end street or an empty parking lot.

You could always get a used roller, then get the electronics from hobbyking or hobbypartz. If you go that route, I'm sure some of these guys could guide you in the right direction for the brand, size, etc, etc.

You could always get a used roller, then get the electronics from hobbyking or hobbypartz. If you go that route, I'm sure some of these guys could guide you in the right direction for the brand, size, etc, etc.

I thought of that, but I'm not very good with electronic components. I could never get the radio control stuff set up. I've had no issue working on nitro cars, but when it comes to wiring, electronics...I'm lost to say honestly.

Just jump in to electrics feet first....theres enough people here that you probably wont drown :) Its actually not that hard to learn just takes a little time. :)

You might get away with exceeds drifter since drifters arent bashed nearly as hard as most other RCs are then you might not have as much problems with them breaking as you would say a buggy or a MT. Most drift guys are racing 1/10 scale though and I believe the Exceed is a 1/8 kit. Something to also consider if your planning on maybe racing them one day.

Just jump in to electrics feet first....theres enough people here that you probably wont drown :) Its actually not that hard to learn just takes a little time. :)

You might get away with exceeds drifter since drifters arent bashed nearly as hard as most other RCs are then you might not have as much problems with them breaking as you would say a buggy or a MT. Most drift guys are racing 1/10 scale though and I believe the Exceed is a 1/8 kit. Something to also consider if your planning on maybe racing them one day.

The Exceeds are 1/10 but on that site I mentioned in my first post...they offer this odd looking "hybrid" drifting/off road electric car that comes in 1/8 scale and there was another brand that came in 1/8 as well. If I was to get one, I would settle on the 1/10 as I've had a 1/10 nitro street car 6 years ago and liked that size.

The Exceed I would not recommend to anyone. I would also recommend the HPI Drift RTR kit.

You're very welcome. Yes, it even comes with a battery pack. Amain is an awesome hobby shop, just as good if not better than Tower.

Thanks for another online retailer! I booked marked their site for future reference when I get the funds to finally make a purchase :)

Back