New User with Servo Question/Issue with my New Savage X

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwalk03

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I've been lurking for about a month since I got my Savage X 4.6. I have already got quite a few hop-ups and up graded both servo's. I am running a Hitec 7955TG for my steering and a Hitec 5565 for my throttle. I have only ran about half a gallon through it so far. It has broken in well and I have it tuned pretty nicely. My question is yesterday when I was running after about 20 minutes on my second tank of nitro the steering suddenly seemed to get very weak. When I picked up the truck the steering would seem fine but when running the steering radius seemed to get HUGE and the wheels barely were turning. I have a Futaba 3PL radio and running a 2500 MAH battery 6.0v that was fully charged before running. I have searched and searched and can't seem to find an answer. I adjusted my end points when I set up my radio. I am totally new at this but have a decent understanding so far. I tried looking up BEC's but that seemed for mostly electric RC's. Do I need a glitch buster. From everything I read about the 7955tg it should be PLENTY for my steering on my Savage X. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. I will keep checking this post to see if you guys have any questions about my setup that might fix my issue.

Typically, it sounds like a weak battery pack in the car. Either put in new alkaline batteries or get a 5 cell rechargeable pack.

Typically, it sounds like a weak battery pack in the car. Either put in new alkaline batteries or get a 5 cell rechargeable pack.
I thought that too but I'm running a 2500 mah 6.0v rechargeable pack that was fully charged yesterday before I ran my savage and still showed good charge after I quit running. I might try running with the alkaline batts to see if that fixes anything.

@gwalk03 - First, Welcome to RCNT! Glad you joined.

The Hitec 7955TG servo is a monster of a servo for the Savage and should have no problems what so ever turning those tires. Have you checked the servo horn and the steering linkage? Just curious, how are you checking the battery life? With something like the Hyperion Sentry?

Thanks for the warm welcome!!! I have the HPI battery indicator installed in my battery box and was just going by that. Should I purchase a actual meter for NiMH batteries? I have seen some of the generic ones on eBay for around $10. Are they ok or should I get one of the hyperions for around $25? My servo horn is ok but I ordered an aluminum one just to be safe.

Just to narrow things down, you might want to disconnect the servo horn and move the steering by hand just to make sure everything moves freely and there's no binding. If you feel resistance make the proper adjustments.

If this is what you're using, that's just fine. About $25, but the next one is just as effective at about $5.
$_57.jpg

$(KGrHqNHJEgFHVO3TfDCBR7Ows1zPg~~60_1.jpg

Just to narrow things down, you might want to disconnect the servo horn and move the steering by hand just to make sure everything moves freely and there's no binding. If you feel resistance make the proper adjustments.
I will do that as soon as I get home and try to narrow things down.

I have the HPI battery indicator installed in my battery box and was just going by that. Should I purchase a actual meter for NiMH batteries?
No need, the HPI battery indicator works just fine.

Well I drove it again yesterday and I'll say I'm 95% sure it was the servo saver spring nut loosening up. I put some thread lock on it and will keep an eye on it for future issues.

Well I drove it again yesterday and I'll say I'm 95% sure it was the servo saver spring nut loosening up. I put some thread lock on it and will keep an eye on it for future issues.
So it's working now? :)

So it's working now? :)
I drove it for about 1.5 hours yesterday and had no steering issues after I added the HD servo saver spring and Loc-tite and fine tuned my EPA for the steering. The truck ran perfect for about 3.5 tanks and then it started running funny. I think my HPI R5 glow plug is crisp. I purchased some R3 plugs and switched one of those in but the truck never ran right again yesterday. The original R5 plug lasted me almost a gallon so I know I can't complain but my truck didn't like the R3 plugs. I ordered 3 McCoy #8 plugs last night and 2 more HPI R5. I have read that everyone LOVES the McCoy #8 so I'm going to try to get my truck tuned with those when they get in this week. I know I'm getting off subject from my original question but do any of you have experience with the #8 plug from McCoy? I almost went with the #9 since my truck like the R5 so well but I thought I would try what everyone else seemed to have good luck with. If the McCoy doesn't work ill just go back to the R5 but the McCoy is cheaper with the R5 being almost $10 each.

I drove it for about 1.5 hours yesterday and had no steering issues after I added the HD servo saver spring and Loc-tite and fine tuned my EPA for the steering. The truck ran perfect for about 3.5 tanks and then it started running funny. I think my HPI R5 glow plug is crisp. I purchased some R3 plugs and switched one of those in but the truck never ran right again yesterday. The original R5 plug lasted me almost a gallon so I know I can't complain but my truck didn't like the R3 plugs. I ordered 3 McCoy #8 plugs last night and 2 more HPI R5. I have read that everyone LOVES the McCoy #8 so I'm going to try to get my truck tuned with those when they get in this week. I know I'm getting off subject from my original question but do any of you have experience with the #8 plug from McCoy? I almost went with the #9 since my truck like the R5 so well but I thought I would try what everyone else seemed to have good luck with. If the McCoy doesn't work ill just go back to the R5 but the McCoy is cheaper with the R5 being almost $10 each.
I haven't had experience on those glow plugs- but would be nice to know how they run for future reference :)

I will let you know this weekend. My engine will be back tomorrow but will have to be broken in again due to a new piston and sleeve. Glad HPI fixed me up since I only had 3/4-1 gallon through it. I still don' t know how I messed it up because I was VERY careful and always watched temps. Ill be even more cautious this time. They told me the sleeve and piston were very worn.

I will let you know this weekend. My engine will be back tomorrow but will have to be broken in again due to a new piston and sleeve. Glad HPI fixed me up since I only had 3/4-1 gallon through it. I still don' t know how I messed it up because I was VERY careful and always watched temps. Ill be even more cautious this time. They told me the sleeve and piston were very worn.
good :)

Back