NEW Traxxas Slash 2WD BL-2s

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from what I've heard, the vxl is pretty bad compared to hobbywing, spektrum, etc.
I agree. Got to the point when I called traxxas I started asking for a certain individual.

One day my boss at the time owed me money and a client owed him. I got an ofna with the 2007 og mamba system for around $100.

Although I want to try hobywing and tekin, castle has been great yo Mr.

I did purchase an old traxxas xl5 esc for my stampede. The yellow case ones seemed to be solid.

from what I've heard, the vxl is pretty bad compared to hobbywing, spektrum, etc.
Thanks,
I've heard similar comments, but the three I have keep perking along, and I'm using the TQi Radios and Link modules/app too. I know there are "better" systems for racing but the OEM stuff hasn't caused me any problems. I did add cooling fans to the ESCs that didn't come with one.

I saw on YouTube that you need to remove 12 screws to remove the body. If that's true, its a deal ender for me. :rolex:
It’s serviced mostly from the bottom, but cleaning it would be a pain. That’s how shelf queens are forged
Having owned Spektrum's SLT3 and DX3, I'd opt for the DX3

My middle son has the Traxxas UDR, and his hasn't proven to be delicate at all.
What’d he upgrade?
I know the wheel nuts should be upgraded, and add a rear differential.
you dont have to remove the body to load a bettery. it has a tray underneath.
*battery
Super Baja Rey
The SBR 2.0 is great, but I like the 1/10 Baja Rey 2.0 because it’s smaller & cheaper. The UDR is “Pro-Scale” (1/7), the SBR is 1/6

It’s serviced mostly from the bottom, but cleaning it would be a pain. That’s how shelf queens are forged

What’d he upgrade?
I know the wheel nuts should be upgraded, and add a rear differential.

*battery

The SBR 2.0 is great, but I like the 1/10 Baja Rey 2.0 because it’s smaller & cheaper. The UDR is “Pro-Scale” (1/7), the SBR is 1/6
Asked my son about his UDR, if he's made any upgrades... his response:
"Nope, it's as it came and I haven't had a want or need to upgrade anything

It's not a basher like the Maxx but it's also not fragile. I've flipped, rolled, cartwheeled, and crashed about every other way except for full speed impact on something and haven't broken anything.

I've replaced parts on the maxx and nothing on the UDR. But I also don't do big air jumps. It's a true to scale desert racer. It makes high speed driving over rough terrain easier. It's not made to jump... I guess it's about using it how it was designed..."

I don't do big air jumps either. That Losi cost 969. Big $.
It's is big money. It is also a big truck. I just tossed that out there. I have no experience with it. It cost to much for me. It just looks sweet. Between the Mojave and UDR I would pick the Mojave. I'm not a scale person. I think the Mojave is probably the tougher rig, but I'm sure it can be broken just like a UDR depending on how it's driven. I have not driven a UDR, but did get to drive the Mojave and I was quite impressed with it. The Mojave appears the be more of a basher truck with a Trophy truck look. The UDR amd Baja Rey are actual Trophy trucks. You probably can't go wrong with any of them.

It's is big money. It is also a big truck. I just tossed that out there. I have no experience with it. It cost to much for me. It just looks sweet. Between the Mojave and UDR I would pick the Mojave. I'm not a scale person. I think the Mojave is probably the tougher rig, but I'm sure it can be broken just like a UDR depending on how it's driven. I have not driven a UDR, but did get to drive the Mojave and I was quite impressed with it. The Mojave appears the be more of a basher truck with a Trophy truck look. The UDR amd Baja Rey are actual Trophy trucks. You probably can't go wrong with any of them.
The Mojave is nothing more than an oversized short course truck.

Has anyone done a side by side with the new and old Slash 2wd? I was wondering if an upgrade to BL-2s would be worth it? I already own a 2wd slash and it's a great entry level RC. Literally nothing has broke on this truck in 2 years but would a brushless system overpower the stock components? Maybe not if Traxxas hasn't upgraded them with the BL-2s truck.

Has anyone done a side by side with the new and old Slash 2wd? I was wondering if an upgrade to BL-2s would be worth it? I already own a 2wd slash and it's a great entry level RC. Literally nothing has broke on this truck in 2 years but would a brushless system overpower the stock components? Maybe not if Traxxas hasn't upgraded them with the BL-2s truck.
The only difference between the old brushed and the new BL2s is the power system, clip less body mounts. Possibly new body colors and wheel/tire combos but that's much it. It's Traxxas so they don't really update anything performance or durability wise besides when they upgraded the VXL models to the 272R transmission.
but would a brushless system overpower the stock components?
depends how you drive. Back then before the 272R tranny, the VXL BL models had the same parts as the brushed model, but the only thing different was 3s BL system and a TQi Radio.
I been running my 2wd rusty on the stock 272 transmission on 2s, 4k-kv BL combo, and conservative gearing and is still alive. While in my slash, I burned up the 272 transmission because I was running over sized tires and didn't properly set gear mesh and slipper clutch, therefore I upgraded to the 272R.

Last edited:
The BL-2s system is the same speed as the XL-5 12T, so you shouldn’t be overpowering the drivetrain or transmission.