New Tool Stand in the Works

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All though my 12yr daughter will probably take it over and burn all the filament. And would have to ask her to print me stuff 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I'll tell ya what - that would be a very awesome outcome. Kids that could get into this early on - man, that would teach them so many useful skillsets. I have tried very hard without pushing to get my kid some experience with 3d modeling, but he wants nothing to do with it if it doesn't have a game controller, RC Tx, or a bat and ball.

The filament I use is Zyltech brand, and it used to be $13/roll. Now it is $22 shipped. This whole project has taken almost one roll so far because of a couple prints I had to redo because I wanted a different design.

I'll tell ya what - that would be a very awesome outcome. Kids that could get into this early on - man, that would teach them so many useful skillsets. I have tried very hard without pushing to get my kid some experience with 3d modeling, but he wants nothing to do with it if it doesn't have a game controller, RC Tx, or a bat and ball.

The filament I use is Zyltech brand, and it used to be $13/roll. Now it is $22 shipped. This whole project has taken almost one roll so far because of a couple prints I had to redo because I wanted a different design.
That's really not that bad in the bug picture of thing 22$. Basically could get a lot. Depending on what your printing. My daughter loves her phone/ iPad/ laptop/ games any tech. It is so hard to get kids out of the tech/games these days. It's a complete different Era compared to when we grew up. I left the house at day break came home when lights were on
Going have to really look into this printer. Can do so many different very diverse unit. I like it thanks for posting your progress. Very cool. Dies it come with programs or they are separate?
Sounds like a good arangment to me. PLA filament isnt very expensive and you could offload some of your hobby work :hehe:
Good call like the way you think

That's really not that bad in the bug picture of thing 22$. Basically could get a lot. Depending on what your printing. My daughter loves her phone/ iPad/ laptop/ games any tech. It is so hard to get kids out of the tech/games these days. It's a complete different Era compared to when we grew up. I left the house at day break came home when lights were on
Going have to really look into this printer. Can do so many different very diverse unit. I like it thanks for posting your progress. Very cool. Dies it come with programs or they are separate?

Good call like the way you think
The printer comes with Cura, but it will likely be a really old outdated version. It is free and can be downloaded online. I personally prefer Simplify 3D. It is a bit over $130 last time I looked, but well worth it to me. This software takes your 3d model and generates the program the printer uses to print the part.

As far as 3d modeling software there are lots of options out there from free to "you will need a home mortgage to buy it" prices. I got a student license for Fusion 360, which is awesome software, but not cheap.

There is also Thingiverse and other sites that has tons of things you can download and print for free. From RC car parts for every make and model to weird sex toys. You name it, it's there. I can't tell you how many penis prints I have seen people sharing pics of in the 3d printer groups 😜

The printer comes with Cura, but it will likely be a really old outdated version. It is free and can be downloaded online. I personally prefer Simplify 3D. It is a bit over $130 last time I looked, but well worth it to me. This software takes your 3d model and generates the program the printer uses to print the part.

As far as 3d modeling software there are lots of options out there from free to "you will need a home mortgage to buy it" prices. I got a student license for Fusion 360, which is awesome software, but not cheap.

There is also Thingiverse and other sites that has tons of things you can download and print for free. From RC car parts for every make and model to weird sex toys. You name it, it's there. I can't tell you how many penis prints I have seen people sharing pics of in the 3d printer groups 😜
Oh imsure there more then just that as well 🤔🤫🤣🤣

I've got a 3d printer that I got mostly set up, then life got complicated for a while. I need to get my head back in the game and get it running, I've already come across a ton of stuff I wish I could have printed. It is just so hard to concentrate on anything in the summer when it's hot.

These are the 3 that I've been looking at for a couple weeks since you started talking about 3D printing your shelves. Lol plus every time I look up printers these always come up first. Plus good reviews across the board. Whats your opinion
Screenshot_20210715-113700_Amazon Shopping.jpg

From what I've read, the Ender 3V2 is the best choice of the bunch.
Thank you sir. mentioned it to my kid you would think that it was delivered to house today. Guess she watches videos on YT about them

These are the 3 that I've been looking at for a couple weeks since you started talking about 3D printing your shelves. Lol plus every time I look up printers these always come up first. Plus good reviews across the board. Whats your opinionView attachment 129563
You can't really go wrong with any of them. They each have their own pros and cons. I would go with the V2. It has the new display and glass print bed. It is a 24v system, so the bed will heat up quickly. The Pro is a nice printer, with the removable build plate, but I prefer a glass build surface over anything else.

Creality is probably the most popular printer. They listen to their customers, and they make changes people have asked for. The ender series is an example of that. The only thing I have had a problem with that I didn't like was they took my support design I shared on Thingiverse and started selling it as a kit for the CR-10. They did eventually give me a Creality CR-10 S5 for using my design, which was about a $950 printer at the time. But that was after the support kit was for sale in their store. But to be fair, I found out they were selling my design when they sent me a message on Thingiverse and FB saying they wanted to reward me for my design. I would have let them use it for free, but I got a really wicked printer out of the deal.

Last edited:
You can't really go wrong with any of them. They each have their own pros and cons. I would go with the V2. It has the new display and glass print bed. It is a 24v system, so the bed will heat up quickly. The Pro is a nice printer, with the removable build plate, but I prefer a glass build surface over anything else.

Creality is probably the most popular printer. They listen to their customers, and they make changes people have asked for. The ender series is an example of that. The only thing I have had a problem with that I didn't like was they took my support design I shared on Thingiverse and started selling it as a kit for the CR-10. They did eventually give me an Creality CR-10 S5 for using my design, which was about a $950 printer at the time. But that was after the support kit was for sale in their store. But to be fair, I found out they were selling my design when they sent me a message on Thingiverse and FB saying they wanted to reward me for my design. I would have let them use it for free, but I got a really wicked printer out of the deal.
Dam that's crazy man. Cool they made up for it. With out you saying anything. But WOW thank you for the info going to look into the V2 a little more

I've got a 3d printer that I got mostly set up, then life got complicated for a while. I need to get my head back in the game and get it running, I've already come across a ton of stuff I wish I could have printed. It is just so hard to concentrate on anything in the summer when it's hot.
If you ever need help, shoot me a PM and I will get you my number. You can call any time. I worked with CNC machines for 25 years. 3d printing for 6. It's not hard to get them up and running smoothly. Learning the software is the hardest part, and even that is fairly simple.

@WickedFog Thank you, mostly it's just getting myself out of the rut I've been in. I'm sure once I get going I will have questions. :thumbs-up:
I get the same way. I have about 5 projects besides this one that I keep putting off because I am just not feeling it right now. It goes in stages 😉

Thank you sir. mentioned it to my kid you would think that it was delivered to house today. Guess she watches videos on YT about them
Sounds like your fate is sealed lol

I get the same way. I have about 5 projects besides this one that I keep putting off because I am just not feeling it right now. It goes in stages 😉
Is it just me or do yall get upset at yourself when you find that you could have spent time working on a project but you decided to chill or do something else instead? I know it prolly dont make much sense but Everytime I get that "I'm not feelin' it today" vibe and dont work on something the next day I'll be upset at myself for not puttin' in work. lol

Is it just me or do yall get upset at yourself when you find that you could have spent time working on a project but you decided to chill or do something else instead? I know it prolly dont make much sense but Everytime I get that "I'm not feelin' it today" vibe and dont work on something the next day I'll be upset at myself for not puttin' in work. lol
Yeah, I pretty much hate myself every day 😜

Yep, sometimes something seems overwhelming, and you don't know where to start, so you don't, but you really want it done. :doh:

Yep, sometimes something seems overwhelming, and you don't know where to start, so you don't, but you really want it done. :doh:
My worst thing is masking and painting. Back when I was younger I loved it. But now my eyes are so bad it is a pain in the butt. I have 3 painting projects I need to finish. Every time I start working on them I get too frustrated and move on to something else. Tomorrow, one of them is getting done!

My worst thing is masking and painting. Back when I was younger I loved it. But now my eyes are so bad it is a pain in the butt. I have 3 painting projects I need to finish. Every time I start working on them I get too frustrated and move on to something else. Tomorrow, one of them is getting done!
I feel it. My eyesight has really gone south the last few years. I had to buy a magnifying glass to read fine print on electronics.

Added a side unit to this stand that will hold my M12 tools.
20210807_095837.jpg

20210807_095826.jpg

20210807_095832.jpg

Currently printing the last piece for this side unit that will hold the rotary tool bits. Will post some more pics later on today.
20210807_100725.jpg

Last edited:
Back