New Tool Stand in the Works

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedFog

Starter of too many projects
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
I bought a 3 tiered wooden spice rack off Amazon and was going to drill it full of holes, but that was proving to be a pain in the butt. So I decided to 3d print some holders to fit it. I will post pics as I go. Please excuse the mess. I have every tool I use often scattered around my bench atm 😜

Oh, I will upload all these designs to Thingiverse when completed if anyone wants to print some of these.

It started off like this...
20210709_170130.jpg

And here is the 3d printed 1/4" hex bit holder glued down with Shoe Goo (stuff works great for this)...
20210709_112337.jpg

Got the box done for the pliers. I will probably print some pieces to drop in the bottom of the pockets to keep the pliers standing up straighter (OCD is a b!tch). I wanted the pockets to just be rectangular all the way down in case I change tools later. Custom inserts can be made quickly on the fly.
20210709_231218.jpg

Lug wrench found a home. Isn't it cute 🤗
Of all parts to print and fit perfectly, the lug wrench slides in with a bit of a click.
20210709_235858.jpg

Got the screw driver and hex driver box done. I redesigned it because I didn't like having the nut drivers in it. So I added some extra pockets for random things, a pocket for a snap-blade knife, and some paintbrush holders.
20210711_173700.jpg

Nutdriver box complete with turnbuckle wrench holder and extra junk drawers.
20210712_081705.jpg

Got the body cutting tools holder done (upper middle location). It has spots for two Xacto knives, extra blades, body reamer, markers, and three scissors. Next task is to make inserts to slide into the pockets the pliers are in to keep them standing up straight and closed.
20210713_210150.jpg

Getting the inserts for the plier pockets done. These allow a modular design in case changes are needed. The inserts have an internal hole that a hook can get into to pull them out as they fit pretty snugly.
20210715_090107.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a 3 tiered wooden spice rack off Amazon and was going to drill it full of holes, but that was proving to be a pain in the butt. So I decided to 3d print some holders to fit it. I will post pics as I go. Please excuse the mess. I have every tool I use often scattered around my bench 😜

It started off like this...
View attachment 129338
And here is the 3d printed 1/4" hex bit holder glued down with Shoe Goo (stuff works great for this)...
View attachment 129339
Pockets for various pliers and scissors to mount in upper right being printed...
View attachment 129340
Very cool I need /want one of those printers awesome 👍👍

I've thought about buying one but A) I have no idea where Id put it and B) I dont really want to learn a whole new hobby/tool lol

Just like soldering, painting, brazing, and porting. Come to think of it, everything in this hobby seems like an addiction.

If you change your mind, check out thingiverse. Tons of cool items. Easy way without learning coding.

3d printers - everyone needs at least one. I had 7 at one time, but have since whittled that down to 4. Sold my SLS and a couple other ones. I even have one that will run on a LiPo and can print on the go 😎

They are a lot easier to use than people think. And 3d modeling/design is just a blast.

I need to make some tool racks, most of mine fit in a carrying case but it's still a pain to dig them out.
That is what I have been going through. My Kennedy roll-around houses all my tools, but everything is in its own case, pouch, etc. Such a pain. I have been wanting something to hold everything I normally use on my bench for quick access, and after looking at all the options out there I decided to just make my own.

3d printers - everyone needs at least one. I had 7 at one time, but have since whittled that down to 4. Sold my SLS and a couple other ones. I even have one that will run on a LiPo and can print on the go 😎

They are a lot easier to use than people think. And 3d modeling/design is just a blast.
That's sick fantastic 👌
Post automatically merged:

I need to make some tool racks, most of mine fit in a carrying case but it's still a pain to dig them out.
That is what I have been going through. My Kennedy roll-around houses all my tools, but everything is in its own case, pouch, etc. Such a pain. I have been wanting something to hold everything I normally use on my bench for quick access, and after looking at all the options out there I decided to just make my own.
Had my tools in bags and divider boxes for yrs till I got a house with garage. It is a very BIG pain to find / dig for something. And it's always on the bottom and the last thing you grab

Peg board is prolly one of my favorite inventions :)

Prolly look in to the whole 3d printing thing eventually

Peg board is prolly one of my favorite inventions :)

Prolly look in to the whole 3d printing thing eventually
I looked into pegboard options, but living in an apartment kinda limits me as to what I can do. I have been here for 6 years though, and will likely be here for a lot more, so I still think I am going to try to find something to mount to the wall above my bench. I have a shelf above me too, so I only have about a 4' x 3' area to work with. But that would be great to hang my bigger tools up.

I looked into pegboard options, but living in an apartment kinda limits me as to what I can do. I have been here for 6 years though, and will likely be here for a lot more, so I still think I am going to try to find something to mount to the wall above my bench. I have a shelf above me too, so I only have about a 4' x 3' area to work with. But that would be great to hang my bigger tools up.
I feel it, I've been in my house for about 5.5 years now but before than I lived in a 2bd apt for almost 10 years. I had to get pretty creative with my hobby area. I took the sliding doors off the closet in the spare bedroom and found a desk that fir perfectly inside of it. Since I waS surrounded by 3 walls I had lots of places to hang stuff. I didn't use pegboard back then though. I'll see if I got any pics of my old work space

You can get 16"x16" plastic peg board PCs at Homedepot. that can snap together if you want more. For 6$. That you can screw and unscrew from your wall.

Ohbyeah same thing just slats same style of hanging things
Yeah, but there are many more options available, and a lot nicer stuff than just the metal hooks and plastic boxes. If you ever watch RC Driver on YT it is what he has on his walls. If I still had a garage, I would do the entire inside with it.

Yeah, but there are many more options available, and a lot nicer stuff than just the metal hooks and plastic boxes. If you ever watch RC Driver on YT it is what he has on his walls. If I still had a garage, I would do the entire inside with it.
I get it but got to think unless your maken videos. Who else will really see it. This is what I got. Getting more of the panels that I told you the 16x16 one and just build off what I have
16258646277522653381423962656934.jpg

And it's cheap. Because all it does is hold my crap LOL so I don't have to dig for it. I need those little draws like wolf has so don't have boxes of screws ,small parts , plugs,connectors and others all over LOL

I get it but got to think unless your maken videos. Who else will really see it. This is what I got. Getting more of the panels that I told you the 16x16 one and just build off what I have View attachment 129346
I've got that same grey tool holder you have at the bottom of your peg board only mines blue :)

I've got that same grey tool holder you have at the bottom of your peg board only mines blue :)
Damit where did you get blue TRADE YOU 🤣🤣 💙 BLUE MY FAVORITE

If you all couldn't tell already lol

Back