new to the hobby

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAZAXXI

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i got a hsp tyrannosaurus top for my first nitro rc truck.

as a beginner you can tell that i dont know anything about the engine or what I'm doing is right. so i thought asking here was the best idea.

so here i go.

i can get my engine to start but it will not idle very well. also it shuts off eventually when i try again starting it i will have a hard time starting it again(i stop trying, in my experience an engine not starting means something isn't right).

sorry if i am not very clear.

alright. waited for 2 hours. nobody wants to help me out ;(

Take it easy guy, people have jobs and dinner plans with there families and what not, if you want help you picked the right place for sure but you have to be patient, that kinda attitude wont get you any help any sooner

Set your idle gap to no more than 1mm, it's the tiny screw with a spring on it,....is there alot fuel coming out of the exaust at idle? If so then you need to lean out the low speed adjustment, start with 1/8 turn, you may need to go 1/16 in either direction after to get it dialed

Last edited:
Nice car. First question for you, Is it new or used? If it is used how long has it been sense it last ran? If it is new did you follow the instructions for break in? My bet is that it needs tuned. It may be a bit frustrating, especially for someone new to nitro. Also, check the glow plug (I have had them light when puled but never fire the engine). What I would do is take it back to factory settings and tune from there.
One more question, How is the compression? Shaun

I'm sorry regarding my attitude, i was a little impatient.

the truck is brand new

maybe I'm blind but the manual fails to specify where the lowspeed needle is if

maybe someone here can identify it for me

(again I'm sorry for being impatient) uploadfromtaptalk1401848536873.jpg/ATTACH]uploadfromtaptalk1401848536873.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401848555910.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401848555910.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 123
argh I'm new to this tapatalk thing -__- double post....

The lsn is in the center of the little arm on the carb

your Low speed needle is the one on the carb where your throttle linkage hooks up at it site in the middle of the carb on the side where the hook up is. your High speed needle is the one that points up in the air where your fuel line hooks in at.

alright so how do i adjust those needles? while the engine is running or must i absolutely not dl that?

Only make muxture adjustments to a hot engine, unless the engine will absolutely not run at all,...have you completed the break in yet?

Well then what you are experianceing are the break in pains! Check out the heat cycle method mentioned in the engines section of this forum,...

Keep a spare glow plug on hand
Keep your igniter fully charged

Keep your transmitter/receiver on
Keep your cool
Engines are always set too rich from factory for a proper break in, what your experianceing is completely normal

i got successfully tuned now :) thanks i had idling for a while too so all is fine now

thanks for helping me out

....i still feel bad how i started this thread :(

....i still feel bad how i started this thread :(

No worries buddy, you had a situation and you wanted results. Perfectly natural. We've all been there.
Never hesitate to ask a question, someone here will surely answer.
If nobody else does, I will, even if I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.:D

Understood my friend? ANSWER ME!

No worries buddy, you had a situation and you wanted results. Perfectly natural. We've all been there.
Never hesitate to ask a question, someone here will surely answer.
If nobody else does, I will, even if I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.:D

Understood my friend? ANSWER ME!

hahaha thanks :)))