New to nitro buggies...need a little help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LtGhost08

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello i am new to nitro rc cars. i want to get a nitro buggie like this one http://www.nitrorcx.com/exnigasbeveh.html. i want to know if this will be a good buggie for me being a beginner. my other question is the transmission in these vehicles able to be swapped out? i ask this because this one is one speed so i would maybe like a 2 speed in the future. this would be a big help. thanks everyone!

I don't have any experience with the Exceed Buggies. They look good on your wallet, but if you break something you have to find parts for it, and potentially have to order them from overseas. Could mean a lot of down time.

For a decent RTR I would have to recommend the OFNA Picco RTR Buggy.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product.../OFNA-Picco-Off-Road-RTR-1-8th-Off-Road-Buggy

It's @ $100 more, but it's proven to be durable and you can generally buy OFNA parts at just about every Local Hobby Shop since it's a widely known brand. I would suggest you visit your local hobby shop and see what brands they stock for parts and let us know.

We can make recommendations based on what they carry, but in general, stick to a name brand vehicle and you will have a MUCH better experience. Team Losi, Associated, Traxxas, OFNA/Jammin, Mugen, Hot Bodies...etc etc etc

ok thanks for the tip. i was also wondering abouta fuel filter. i saw on the website with the buggy from my original post they had a fuel filter you could get. does anyone use one of these and r they worth it?

Most local hobby shops carry inline fuel filters for nitro engines. When you're in yours looking to see what parts they carry, ask them about the filters they carry.

90% of r/c's have an internal fuel filter in the fuel tank. So unless you just want one, don't bother.

ok thanks guys. my other question is are you able to swap out transmissions on these? because the one i want (because i can upgrade it when i have the money and am used to the buggy) has a single speed trans, so could i eventually swap out the single speed for a 2 speed or are you not able to swap out transmissions?

Unfortunately most buggies are not equipped with a transmission. They use a center differential instead. You probably won't be able to change it out for a 2-speed transmission without a whole lot of effort and fabrication.

ok thanks. another question is i saw on the 1/8 models they have what almost looks like a cold air intake, sort of a bent pipe and a filter. could you rig one of these up on a 1/10 model?

Motor Saver makes an excellent for most of the more popular 1/10th scale nitro trucks. Iused one on my Revo with great success.

ok kool thank you. they look like they would work really well since it sticks out and have 360 degrees of entry for air to go into instead of the ones that have a gause plug in them.