New to hobby Advise please

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhumphus

RC Newbie
Reaction score
My sons and I are new to this hobby. We want to start out with an RTR Kyosho 33154, somewhat entry level, so a few specific model questions:
Anyone running this car and your impressions?
Can these RTR's be hopped up, modified, improved (over time as we gain experience)? Is IFS available for this or most cars? Can engine size be upgraded? Not sure how "universal" fitment-wise these parts are.
Any recommendations for alternates in the same price range?
Thanks.

Get out get out now before it's to late.
for less than 200 you can get a traxxas and you can upgrade and exchange parts. I would look into parts availability before ordering anything from china

My sons and I are new to this hobby. We want to start out with an RTR Kyosho 33154, somewhat entry level, so a few specific model questions:
Anyone running this car and your impressions?
Can these RTR's be hopped up, modified, improved (over time as we gain experience)? Is IFS available for this or most cars? Can engine size be upgraded? Not sure how "universal" fitment-wise these parts are.
Any recommendations for alternates in the same price range?
Thanks.
that is the FO_XX nitro model right? those are some awesome looking trucks, and the few people that i talk to that own them love them. they are solid axle and can not be changed to IFS though. there really isnt many upgrade parts for that model specifically because from what I've seen, really doesn't break alot. axle tubes seem to be the weaker point on it but looks that it needs to take a good hit to break them. it is quite similar to the Kyosho Mad Crusher.
As far as upgrades, except for things like wheels/tires, Servos, bodies, engines/clutches etc. there isnt really much that is cross compatible. unless it is a same model type just different version.
for an upgrade engine, jsut be sure to look for a .21-.32 engine sizes. .12-.19 are small blocks. also do remember that size isnt everything, porting, carb, etc all make the engine jsut as much as displacement. for upgrades i would have to recommend something like a dynamite BIG RED (150$) or a Novarossi 28-8. (220$)
Kyosho is a great brand with quality products.

That's awesome, Thank you. Seems like I'm making a good decision on the product. Like anything technical, it's a learning curve. I picked nitro because I'm used to the same smells and sounds from my dirt bikes.

Kyosho makes great products, no doubt about that. I love my Mad Crusher nitro