New to electric RC. Need help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big J

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I just bought a used electric Traxxas Rustler off ebay.This will be my first electric RC. I am going to assume that it is all stock. What mods can I add to it to make is faster?
What different type of battery packs are out there for me choose from?
What is the diffence between brush motor and brushless?
Can u just swap a brush for a brushless?
Do I need a special battery charger?
What is a lipo battery?
So for all the questions, its that I want good understanding of what I am dealing with.

What mods can I add to it to make is faster? New motor, ESC, Tires
What different type of battery packs are out there for me choose from? With stock XL-5, you can use up to 2s LiPo batteries and nimH batteries.
What is the diffence between brush motor and brushless? Day and night. Brushless is A LOT faster, and allows you to support better batteries such as 3s LiPos.
Can u just swap a brush for a brushless? I believe with the XL-5, you'll need the steel gearing, a new brushless motor, and a brushless esc.
Do I need a special battery charger? For LiPos, yes, and certain batteries. I know with my newest battery (Venom 7 Cell 5000 maH) My charger wouldn't work with it so I bought a new one.
What is a lipo battery? Lithium-ion polymer batteries

Thanks for answering my questions. I think for now I will stick to a brushed motor(after all you got to learn crawl before you can walk). What brand/kind Of motor can i just do a simple swap on? What is a ESC?

The Traxxas Upgrade is called the Velinion System or VXL. It is the one I am most comfortable with, considering it's the only one I own, so It'd be a direct drop in on a Traxxas Vehicle. An ESC is an 'Electronic Speed Control'

Last edited:
The Castle Creations ESC's are far superior to the VXL ESC. You have the option to hook up to a computer with the Castle Link software, and literaly tune your motor to your driving style.

Learning to drive with the stock brushed motor is a pretty good idea. As far as needed upgrades, I would recommend that you wait until something breaks and then replace the failed part with something better. I would also recommend starting with a 6-cell NiMH which can be charged by most current peak chargers that you can buy. It's a good palce to start and later you can always upgrade to a LiPo when the funds are available.

If my stock 12 turn motor does fail on me. Wich is better? Titan or a Stinger motor?

The Titan motor is what Traxxas uses on their larger electrics like the E-Maxx.

OK my bad. Then what brushed motor is a good upgrade to the 20 turn stinger.

An orion 12 turn is what I like to use on my stampede

Back