New to crawling hobby.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another question, Is there any specific tools or a small tool kit that you all recommend for maintaining scx24?

You need a 1.27mm or .050" hex driver for the screws, and a 4mm nut driver for the wheel nuts. That's it.

This is the hex driver I use
Dynamite Machined Hex Driver Red .050" DYN2910 Hand Tools Misc https://a.co/d/cJvrSvN

Dynamite has a set of nut drivers too.
Dynamite 5 Piece Metric Nut Driver Assortment DYN2806 Hand Tools Misc https://a.co/d/dbNPkim

If you want really high end tools, MIP makes some that a lot of people use. But I have had no problems whatsoever with my Dynamite set in 7 years or so except the hex tools can be a bit too short sometimes. Team EDS has some nice long ones as well.

Last edited:
Another question, Is there any specific tools or a small tool kit that you all recommend for maintaining scx24?
I have this set and I have had no problems with it and it has done everything I have asked of it working on all of my scale cars (24th - 7th scale) and it is nice and compact so it fits in my tool box great.

PXL_20230208_031445768.jpg

I am sorry for all the questions. Do you guys recommend any extra batteries that I can order? I’m sure I want more than the one it came with. The Deadbolt arrived. I can’t wait to get home. Lol. Like a 58 yr old kid before Christmas

I am sorry for all the questions. Do you guys recommend any extra batteries that I can order? I’m sure I want more than the one it came with. The Deadbolt arrived. I can’t wait to get home. Lol. Like a 58 yr old kid before Christmas
Ask away! That's one of the main reasons why forums exists.
Have fun with your new toy!

I got these when I got my first 24. They seem to last and hold a charge as well as the original.

The stock battery lasts us about 25 minutes or so, but I've never really timed it. These trucks don't take much juice to get a run in. That's one thing nice about crawlers.

I'll second the batteries @Jamr suggested, I picked up a few of those. I needed a replacement when one of my original batteries died and those worked well.

Thank you all. So far I have ordered the tools needed. Extra batteries also on the way.

Driven the deadbolt for about 20 minutes. I really enjoy setting on the couch and running it around. I did notice it seems to tip over easy. What would be the first suggested upgrades? Weight down low? New shocks? Tires and rims?

Thank you

Thank you all. So far I have ordered the tools needed. Extra batteries also on the way.

Driven the deadbolt for about 20 minutes. I really enjoy setting on the couch and running it around. I did notice it seems to tip over easy. What would be the first suggested upgrades? Weight down low? New shocks? Tires and rims?

Thank you
Steering knuckles, diff covers and axle extensions are all good ways to get yor center of gravity lowered. Wheel weights or aluminum wheels are the easiest way to achieve this, but do add a lttle more stress on the motor and servo. I have not personally had any issues but some have.

Add brass down low, it really helps to keep her upright.

Brass extended hexes will solve a lot of that. You can also get some brass spindles for the front, and a brass front diff cover.

The only drawback is more weight will be more taxing on the stock motor. Some have had no problems with the stock motor, but the one in our Deadbolt only lasted 3 runs.

As far as motor upgrades, there are only a few upgrades for the motor that I would go with. One I have used is the PN Racing motor/motor mount/gearset from www.kenonhobby.com. it's $57.86 if you add the gear set and motor mount with the added discount. It's a fairly simple install, but requires some hacking of either the esc tray or battery tray, which then requires some creativity in moving components around.

The other would be the Furitek Lizard Ultimate ESC and their mini Stellar transmission with mini Komodo motor. But that setup is like $218. The Stinger system is said to be good too.

Doom and Tunedpipe beat me to it 😜

Thank you
You need more weight down low. Just add these steel wheels with your preferred tires will drastically improve crawling performance.
https://a.co/d/aOvey25
Steering knuckles, diff covers and axle extensions are all good ways to get yor center of gravity lowered. Wheel weights or aluminum wheels are the easiest way to achieve this, but do add a lttle more stress on the motor and servo. I have not personally had any issues but some have.
Add enough weight down low and you can manage angles like this
1121211443d.jpg
1121211444b.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I’m totally addicted. Been crawling all over the house, even my chocolate lab. Lol. With the warmer weather, been doing some trail climbing around the house. I’m ready to order rims and tires. What are you all running?

Well, I’m totally addicted. Been crawling all over the house, even my chocolate lab. Lol. With the warmer weather, been doing some trail climbing around the house. I’m ready to order rims and tires. What are you all running?

I like the Injora rims and tires myself.

Back