New Tires and maybe rims?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AeroFrog

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Crawling
  2. Flying
I have the Pheonix RTR. it has 1.9x4.65" Falken tires on it. Does not have Portal axles. can it handle bigger tires and is that something you would do to get more clearance. I'm a complete newb to crawling. I just got the thing last Friday. Any tips or recommendations?

I have the Pheonix RTR. it has 1.9x4.65" Falken tires on it. Does not have Portal axles. can it handle bigger tires and is that something you would do to get more clearance. I'm a complete newb to crawling. I just got the thing last Friday. Any tips or recommendations?
I would try driving it over your terrain of choice and see how it does. You never know on crawler tires til you give some a go. And pay attention to what the tires are doing. You may see you need a more agressive tread, softer tires, etc. I would guess the stock tires on that are pretty decent, being a Vanquish and all.

It's a balance. The higher a vehicle sits, the higher the center of gravity. Which means more tendency to rollover. With rccrawler clearance isn't always a necessity. Many people run their rigs full droop. That is with the suspension without springs allowing the body to settle at the possible lowest point on the shocks.
This is one of my SCX24 in full droop.

Ok this makes sense, I was just thinking about more clearance due to high centering. Theres not many rocks in Louisiana so I've been crawling over logs and hills. I definitely see where keeping a low cog is beneficial.

Totally agree with everything Xraycer said. The lower you keep the weight, the more severe obstacles you can get over. The portal axles are cool, but there again, you're raising all that axle weight.

Drive it, and you'll get a good idea if it needs anything. That's the fun of crawlers. Adding bits and seeing what it does. You are fortunately starting out with a beast of a truck.