New soldering station what do you use or like

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just like soldering, it requires a bit of practice. YT is your friend.
I've watched YT vids and I have a device similar to what you are using to keep the coals on one side of my grill for slow cooking. 5 hours later my ribs will look like yours but all the connective tissue is still holding all the meat together and its like chewing on leather. I really dont understand what I'm doing wrong. I gave up even trying cuz its a hell of a long time to waste only to not have it turn out. My wife can throw em in the oven for an hour or 2 and they come out amazing 🤷‍♂️

I've watched YT vids and I have a device similar to what you are using to keep the coals on one side of my grill for slow cooking. 5 hours later my ribs will look like yours but all the connective tissue is still holding all the meat together and its like chewing on leather. I really dont understand what I'm doing wrong. I gave up even trying cuz its a hell of a long time to waste only to not have it turn out. My wife can throw em in the oven for an hour or 2 and they come out amazing 🤷‍♂️
You could always cook in the oven, then finish on the grill.

It's all about practice and patience. The smells of those ribs going all day they wouldn't make it to dinner. Love a good BBQ. Gill all yr round haven't smoked yet

After you get a bit of a char directly over the coals (just a few minutes, flip, do it again) then move to indirect heat and do not exceed 225°. Let her go three or four hours for a big rack and you’re groovy. Takes practice to keep 225° consistently on a Weber. I use both the side coal baskets and only replenish one as needed along with the water soaked wood chips of choice. Apple wood is my personal fave. I find mesquite and hickory both a little sweet for my taste. And seriously, there’s not a better thing to practice than barbecue. Rewards are great. Hang in there and soon you’ll be the neighborhood hero!
Wait, what was this thread about…?

I have four temperature controlled soldering 'stations.' Two for tin-lead and two for lead-free. Never mix them up. I threw out two
no name' units about 3 years ago when I took the time to discover they had extremely bad 'calibration' or 'control' of temperature. Weller, Weller, Weller, and a Weller, for me. But electronics is my livelyhood. 450 deg C to strip 'magnet wire', 300 to 315 C for typical tin-lead soldering, 215 C for tin-bismuth-silver soldering, and 285 C for tin-silver soldering.

I occasionally print circuit boards on my desktop PCB printer, and if the iron gets above 230 C for an instant, the pcb traces disappear, so that's why I checked temperature controllability and accuracy a few years ago.

I have four temperature controlled soldering 'stations.' Two for tin-lead and two for lead-free. Never mix them up. I threw out two
no name' units about 3 years ago when I took the time to discover they had extremely bad 'calibration' or 'control' of temperature. Weller, Weller, Weller, and a Weller, for me. But electronics is my livelyhood. 450 deg C to strip 'magnet wire', 300 to 315 C for typical tin-lead soldering, 215 C for tin-bismuth-silver soldering, and 285 C for tin-silver soldering.

I occasionally print circuit boards on my desktop PCB printer, and if the iron gets above 230 C for an instant, the pcb traces disappear, so that's why I checked temperature controllability and accuracy a few years ago.
I love Weller and Hakko. I'm jealous of your PCB printer! :)

You could always cook in the oven, then finish on the grill.
I use a Weller soldering station with 60/40 rosin core solder. I used to work at a defense contractor making wiring harness, cable assemblies and circuit boards for military along with commercial applications. Trained at Fort Monmouth in NJ.
That’s what they used. Can’t beat the quality.

Back