New Servos

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor17nelson

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well looks like i got to get new steering and throttle servo for truck... can you get upgraded servos or water proof servos?

look on the savox servo website,you can't go wrong
btw what rig you got??

Savox doesn't offer a single water proof servo. I check periodically, but last time I emailed them, the answer was no.

Traxxas has servos that are waterproof. Would be nice if they would up the anty a bit and run metal gears.

Hitec makes some that are waterproof. Some that aren't labeled "waterproof" are sealed though and hold up well in damp conditions.

I'm running a Hitec HS 5646WP in my buggy for steering and a few traxxas 2075 digital waterproof servos in a jato and my buggy for throttle/brake.

The one I like the best costs the most for me, the hitec 985MG. It's faster and has more torque than the ones I listed, but it's a great long lasting servo. It's not touted as "waterproof", but it has an o-ring on the output shaft, case halves and screws. Which is pretty much identical to the ones that are labeled as waterproof. I have 2 in my revo (1 steering and 1 t/b) and 1 for t/b in my savage. Have had them for a long time and they work year after year without fail.

To get the most out of any servo, you need to at least run a 6V NiMH pack, or possibly lipo if you can afford it. I run NiMH for what I do.

Last edited:
The truck i need them for is the RedCat volcano s30... what ones do you recomend for that truck?

I use a pair if hitec 645MG servos, one for throttle, and one for turning

If I had seen them I would have bought the 985MG, at 6.0V they are 7hundredths faster, and one of the websites I visited says they are core less. Core less servos I hear are faster cause there's less weight to spin

---------- Post added at 9:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:58 PM ----------

Oh forgot to mention thse servos are on one of my savages

The truck i need them for is the RedCat volcano s30... what ones do you recomend for that truck?

Couple of these would probably get the job done:
Hitec HS 5646WP

Or try and go a bit cheaper and get one of the 2075 traxxas digital waterproof ones off ebay for t/b and use the hitec for steering.

Traxxas servos use futaba horns. Hitec uses hitec... if I remember right, the 5646WP came with horns. Unless you need a servo mounted saver.

---------- Post added at 9:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:16 PM ----------

Doesn't look like you need servo mounted savers, appears your steering has it built into the chassis.

Was looking at it here:
http://www.radiocontrolledtoysonlin...onster-Truck?gclid=CMei17GbtbcCFc0WMgodWScAvQ

Can't really see how the throttle hooks up though.

I would probably go for a pair of traxxas 2075, , waterproof and for a buggy or small truck they should have plenty of torque to turn the wheels infact I run either a 2075 or 2070 for all my rigs, there cheap too which makes a no brainer for me plus not really a fan of hitec servos poped a few before switching to savox and havent looked back

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

Haha should read before I post I meant I use the trx servos for throttle duties

If you choose the savox brand i assure you they will more than likely outlast your redcat in general and you will be able to use them on the next rig you get. You can also use Futaba s3305 metal geared servos. $32.99 each from tower hobbies. These are the ones i run in my buggy and have so for over a year and never had one give me any issues.

thats the same futaba servo i run in my bb maxx and have donr for about 2 years and it was on there when i bought it as a very sad looking 4909 roller so i would say its agood one to get

Nope but I've wet the thing more times than I care to remember and it still works great

Why do you want waterproof? Do you plan on running rig in rain or thru water holes on a regular basis? I've ran mine across wet grass after rain several times getting the servos wet but not soaked or submerged. The futaba and savox servos have held up under minor moisture fine. Nothing on these rcs are mean to be submerged completely.

---------- Post added at 7:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:43 AM ----------

Hell I've even hosed my buggy off with water hose trying to avoid the electronics best i could then compressed air immediately to dry it. Those days when the track is wet and red clay gets everywhere.

So I can garden hose my basher?....it gets really dirty

If you cover your electronics or are very careful not to soak them then immediately dry everything with compressed air you can but its not something i recommend. I have done it but I'm extremely careful around rx box and servos. I usually use wd40 and compressed air for the most part. Check out www.cowrc.com for their mootor cleaner and other cleaning products.

Sweet, now how waterproof can I make an R/C, what if I wanted to submerge the chassis in water and still drive around, is snorking the engine and exhaust an option.....this is just for my YouTube account

Only way to really do it is with a silicone exhaust extention turned up and you could add some sort of tube into it with a ziptie to hold the tube then then you have to keep water from the air filter and cold water isnt exactly good for an aluminum case motor thats 200 degrees when it hits the water js

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

although if you do get water in the motor its not that big of deal just tear the motor down dry the water out and oil and reassemble and your ready to go.

Good, good, now that makes me ask are all R/C engine blocks scratched out of aluminum

I once blew up a bearing on my bush truck, when i was 15. nobody answered the phone to come pick me up, so I drove home like that, when I got home the aluminum rim was so hot that I thought I should pour water on it, it was a bad idea that rim went snap.....it was just a Canadian tire special though

Well looks like i got to get new steering and throttle servo for truck... can you get upgraded servos or water proof servos?

I use SAVOX Servo's in my Rig's once the factory one's go Bad... I know SAVOX servo's are alittle on the pricy side but there awesome SERVO's the Savox's I have are not waterproof but I am not worried about that because I don't bash in or around water.....

Wow, I was doing some snooping and those savox monster torque servos, might just end up replacing my hitech servos

---------- Post added at 3:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:18 PM ----------

How big is a 7.4V battery pack, much bigger than a 6.0V hump pack?