New revo big block mount in town!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well, Racer 1966 finally spooled up the mill and spit out a mount. He used my New Era BB leaner mount as a starting point.

I installed his last weekend with a new LRP28S3 with pull-start (standard big block) and a new THS rear BB pipe. I didn't care for the THS header as kit kicked the header side of the pipe up way too high, so I mangled a spare LST2 header I had and used it instead to keep the pipe as flat as possible with the chassis. now the body doesn't have to be jacked up to the moon.

I didn't use the little throttle pivot bracket he included as I already had mine with my linkage bolted to it. Looks to be the same as mine though, but a bit thicker material.

Fit and finish is pretty good. Nothing to monkey with, just bolt it on and set it up. I'm not sure if he's going to include something for the throttle wire or not, but I used one I had made for my NE mount that was doubled up in the z-bend area to avoid flex.

Pics:
2013-0517-Racer1966-RevoBBMount02.jpg

2013-0517-Racer1966-RevoBBMount-THSPipe-CustomHeaderSide.jpg

2013-0517-Racer1966-RevoBBMount-THSPipe-CustomHeaderSide02.jpg

2013-0517-Racer1966-RevoBBMount01.jpg

My throttle wire:
2013-0517-Racer1966-RevoBBMountThrottleLinkage.jpg

Last edited:
That's a sweet looking BB mount that Randy made.

Thanks for the write up. The finish on that one is not up to my standards for what I would sell, but the sizing/fit checked good. At the moment,I cannot do the linkage. The rod included in the kits I have are just a tad short to make work. I found a source for longer pieces but I haven't obtained any yet. Frankly,I'm not sure it's worth the effort and may just let buyers fend for themselves on linkage. Also I'm not sure how much stiffer your setup is,but the standard single wire I used felt about the same to me.

Anyhow,glad to know it works :)

sooooo, do I get to be first in line for the first one for sale?

Thanks for the write up. The finish on that one is not up to my standards for what I would sell, but the sizing/fit checked good. At the moment,I cannot do the linkage. The rod included in the kits I have are just a tad short to make work. I found a source for longer pieces but I haven't obtained any yet. Frankly,I'm not sure it's worth the effort and may just let buyers fend for themselves on linkage. Also I'm not sure how much stiffer your setup is,but the standard single wire I used felt about the same to me.

Anyhow,glad to know it works :)

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the finish was rougher since this was a prototype.

As for the wire, I didn't have anything that was as stiff and couldn't get my hands on anything, so I doubled it up that way. If you figure out a source for threaded end piano wire that is long enough, let me know and I'll get me a few pieces. As it is, the threaded end wire my LHS has is pretty soft. However, they do have some non-threaded end wire that is very hard and can actually snap if you bend it too much without heating it to remove the temper first. I like the ball end on the wire to avoid getting a lot of slop as the pivot hole wears out.

Where can the linkage like that be purchased to make it work?

You just need to get some piano wire, linkage collars, springs and figure out some sort of guide by the servo to keep the wire in line with the linkage. You can see the guide that came with my old new era kit circled here:
2013-0517-Racer1966-RevoBBMountGuideCircled.jpg

You should be able to get away with a typical linkage slider with maybe a few spacers under it to keep that part of the wire on the same plane as the servo slider:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBL82&P=7

If I ever come across some really rigid 2mm threaded end piano wire, I'll buy 10 of them for this and other usage.

Hello I've been linked to this by a revo friend on a uk forum and very happy to see somebody has thought to do this mount since the new era is so hard to find and over priced when is found. I will be watching this develop closely and hope to be one of the first UK buyers.

The linkage sounds conplex but if theres an instruction thread showing how to make one I wouldn't mind doing that myself. I've put a lot of time and money into my revo and always been let down by the engine I just want something thats easy to tune and maintain mayb an entry level engine.

I've been wondering if an adaptor would be possible something to bolt onto the picco mount or traxxas mount that will alloy standard size engines to fit but tjis is even better. I really hope testing goes well.

Is the revo bb mount available from racer 1966 yet ? if so how much and where can i order it,My revo project is on hold till i get one, thnx

Jamdude, I bought one from him and I haven't used it yet and I don't need it since I found a roller with one on it. I could sell it to you

^^^^^^^^real talk lol that filter is horrible id be scared the motor was gonna suck up the air filter

I have one from him if anyone wants to buy it

olds97_lss which motor is that?
LRP 28 S3 with 2 or 3 fins cut off the top so that the head was lower than the contact line between my raised roll bar and wing. The revo chassis is very susceptible to cracking in the engine bay area. I've since installed an upgraded plate under the chassis to spread some of the load better. My old small block revo chassis cracked a bit in the engine bay. Once it cracks, it allows too much flex and chews up spurs.

Aftermarket brace on my bb revo:
2016-0531_RevoBBEngineBrace.jpg

Traxxas factory brace from their 3.3 revo:
2016-0531_RevoSBEngineBrace.jpg

The one on my bb revo is twice as thick, has more surface area and allows for a few more screws through the chassis to help avoid flex.