New Nitro engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JcsRC

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have an awesome Ty tessmann Edition .21 nitro engine I'm about to install but I dont see the pull start? Is there Nitro engines that do not require a pull start? Or do I just buy this separately? I know theres a way to Use an igniter as well but Kind of could use some help on this. Can anyone link the device used if its not a pull cord to start this engine. link to engine here: https://www.horizonhobby.com/OSMG20...MI6tuW5szW5wIVxp-zCh2emQwNEAQYAyABEgKUYvD_BwE

It's a bump start engine. Not sure if it can be converted to pull start. I would ask horizon.

It's a bump start engine. Not sure if it can be converted to pull start. I would ask horizon.
Thank you!!!! I needed to know the terminology lol.. Talk about "feeling in the dark" lol So just one of those battery powered starters I think will start it up huh!? You push down on the glow plug and bam it starts up...

Thank you!!!! I needed to know the terminology lol.. Talk about "feeling in the dark" lol So just one of those battery powered starters I think will start it up huh!? You push down on the glow plug and bam it starts up...
Oh wait I will need a starter box ahhhhh i see some light in this tunnel.. Thanks a ton!!

Looking at the crank, it's missing the nub for a OWB (one way bearing) or starter shaft to start it. It does have a recess, so perhaps it's hollow and you can use a pin/spring like some engines have instead. However, most bump start higher end race engines are intended to be just that only as having a OWB/starter shaft decreases performance a bit by adding drag, so you may be hard pressed to find a crank/backplate/starter shaft/owb that will work. Not saying it's impossible, just a bit impractical. It could be impossible as OS may not make a compatible crank/starter for that engine, I didn't dig a lot.

A guy I bashed with many years ago bought a bump start lrp 30x and ended up buying a new crank, backplate, startershaft, owb, starter housing just to make it a pull-start. Was half the cost of the engine. If he was smart, he would have just taken it back and got the "sport" version of the engine that had a pull start on it already, but he was intent on running that specific engine in his LST2 for bashing for some reason. Odds are, any effects of porting or whatever that the "X" had was negated by the extra drag of the owb and perhaps partially deleted due to running a different crank (some of the porting is in the crank itself on engines).

What kind of rc car you have? Some can not be bump started. The HPI Savage models can't be started that way. They require pull or roto start only.

What kind of rc car you have? Some can not be bump started. The HPI Savage models can't be started that way. They require pull or roto start only.
MBX8 I just ordered the starter box.. Going to use that..

I have an awesome Ty tessmann Edition .21 nitro engine I'm about to install but I dont see the pull start? Is there Nitro engines that do not require a pull start? Or do I just buy this separately? I know theres a way to Use an igniter as well but Kind of could use some help on this. Can anyone link the device used if its not a pull cord to start this engine. link to engine here: https://www.horizonhobby.com/OSMG20...MI6tuW5szW5wIVxp-zCh2emQwNEAQYAyABEgKUYvD_BwE
That’s a bump box sealed backplate engine. And you can’t convert it over to pull start because the crank would have to have a tip on it inoder for the one way bearing to grab a hold of.

That’s a bump box sealed backplate engine. And you can’t convert it over to pull start because the crank would have to have a tip on it inoder for the one way bearing to grab a hold of.
Thanks a ton man.. I just put together the starter box and finally understand it all... lol... never even realized these kind of engines did this.. But Man This MBX8 is a beast.. every nitro fan should own one... I love it... bump box sealed backplate engine..(GOT IT!!) Love learning this stuff!!!

Hi Everybody,
This is Sanny from Enginediy. I'm new for RC, I love to install the Engine on RC car, boat , ect...
Wish in future have chance to discuss for more details.

There are engines specifically designed for boats so this engine will not work. It is a bump start engine.

Back