new king of shaves boat

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgbdwlf2500

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm new to boats so what kind of props can I run on this? Factory is d40xp1.4. Its a 2000kv motor. Will be running 2 3 and 4s lipos.

Last edited:
Tough call with boats. There are so many variables.
Length, weight, hull type, gearing and more.
If that's your stock setup you'll have to experiment with it to see if a different prop will give you a better bite without upgrading the electronics.
Pretty much you start with the least expensive upgrade and work your way up.

Thanks. I live near so much water I couldn't resist anymore. Its 35" long fiberglass. Capable of 6s.

The prop is the same as an Octura X-440 which comes in both a 2 and 3-blade version. Plastic props flex at speed so going to a metal one alone will make a difference. Checking motor and battery pack temps will let you know if you can go bigger.

Bigger diameter or more pitch? I know the second number is the pitch. The shaft is 4mm. What props would u suggest?

Look at Prather props and see if they have any kind of comparison chart to start with and work your way up from there.
Definitely metal props, then you'll be able to upgrade your motor and electronics later on without tearing them up.

The Octura numbering system goes like this; the first number is the pitch so a 4 is 1.4 times the diameter of the second set of numbers, in this case 40mm. The metric system seems to work well in the world of props. The "X" series is no to low-lift props. We can get into the lifting props later on but this is the essential of what you need to know now for your boat. Octura also makes a X-640 for more pitch at the same diameter. The trick (and the expense) is finding the prop that makes your boat happy.
a 3/16" bored prop can be used on a 4mm propshaft but it will wobble. A small piece of 3/16" I.D. brass tubing between the shaft and prop will close up the gap making the prop fit much better. A Prather 215 has almost the same numbers as an Octura X-440 but it is how those numbers are achieved. Octura props are progressively pitched whereas Prather's have a constant pitch. That little difference can mean a lot. Imagine that as swimming with your hands cupped or with your fingers flat straight out. Heck, just try it stick your hand out the window of your car.
With electric boats it's a balance of motor, battery packs, ESC's and props in trying to get speed, run time and everything else in its happy place for you.
You can test props the cheap way with plastic, carbon fiber or composites but when you've found one that you and your boat like, switch over to Beryllium Copper afterwards for if not at least one thing, safety's sake.