new jato need a little help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kx125racer12

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi, I just bought a jato 2.5 and its my first nitro truck, i have only had electric. So it runs great its got some smoke coming out when I'm on the gas none while idling. The only problem i have is that once its been running for a while it will only idle for like 20 seconds and i was wandering if this is normal.

its normal to shut down after a couple seconds,you can fine tune it to stay
running for longer,just takes some practice
have fun with it,i had one last year there awesome lol

Usually that means the LSN (low speed needle) is on the rich side.

Some engines don't like to sit and idle even when tuned properly, whereas others that are tuned horribly will idle all day long. OS engines are very forgiving in that respect. I have found the TRX engines are not. TRX engines are good for high RPM's, decent power, but tend to run hot and not being the most stable of engines to idle/tune.

Once it's warmed up and running good, if you let it sit idle for 5 seconds or so, what does it do when you take off? If it blows a lot of smoke and sputters/spits then you could probably stand to lean out the LSN a bit.

it doesn't sputer or anything like that, it really runs great it just doesn't like to idle

so i got it to idle now but it still dies after i floor it for a couples seconds then let of all the way

Does it run cleanly when you floor it? If so, it may be a bit lean on the high speed and possibly the low speed.

When you run WOT, this tends to clean out the crank case of any excess fuel and if your running on the lean side, the engine can't recover enough to stay running once RPM's die down. At least that's been my experience. Richening it up a bit usually helps.

I have a much harder time with small blocks than I do big blocks. Harder to tell when they are too rich for me. Especially since it's the jato. It's so light that it just goes regardless if it's overly rich or not. With a heavy MT, it's more noticeable.

It seems to run clean at full throttle maybe a little rich.