New Hobbywing EzRun Max8 combo - ESC calibration problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michalxo

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hello!
Could anyone help me with this calibration issue please?
It should be easy procedure, but I fail to calibrate throttle. I think it might be faulty `SET` button, but it's first time I am playing with this. (my only previous experience is only small Orlandoo Hunter build).

Any help is appreciated. It's brand new Max8 combo. (fan is working, servo as well, sanwa tx/rx works also fine - tested on Orlandoo hunter build)

I have been experiencing with holding set button for various delays, but it seems like it's really not working at all...

Whats up bud.. seems like you need to bind the controller.. did you bind the controller before you calibrated? If not I would start over bind it first then calibrated

I thought it's already bound, when I was able to use it with other jeep (true, that only steering and throttle works.. I could not figure out how to operate lights on other channel(s)).

I am going to try bounding it again then.

Whats up bud.. seems like you need to bind the controller.. did you bind the controller before you calibrated? If not I would start over bind it first then calibrated
I tried to bind it again, I think that works fine, as steering works ok and same receiver on different model.
I was (and still am) never able to enter calibration mode.

I tried to bind it again, I think that works fine, as steering works ok and same receiver on different model.
I was (and still am) never able to enter calibration mode.
What kit is it again bud ? I will get you a video to watch to Make sure your doing it rite all the esc are different the way its done

I was following this video:
Hobbywing EzRun Max8 combo + Sanwa MT-Son MT410 Tekno kit

What controller you using?
And reciver
That's just for the esc calibration. But you got to bind the reciver with controller with the esc plugged into reciver. Then you can calibrate

Last edited:
Not always
You installed the new esc so when your binding it. It's picking up the new esc
The steering works because you had it bound already but the esc controls your throttle

It's definitely bound. The thing is, I can't even perform factory reset procedure by using "SET" button for 3 secs... Seems like this button is really the core issue of this problem.
I also tried to attach included ESC programmer, went through all default values, did factory reset but still no resolution. I really think I should return this ESC and ask for a new one. Unless there is some hidden trick I am not aware of.

It's definitely bound. The thing is, I can't even perform factory reset procedure by using "SET" button for 3 secs... Seems like this button is really the core issue of this problem.
I also tried to attach included ESC programmer, went through all default values, did factory reset but still no resolution. I really think I should return this ESC and ask for a new one. Unless there is some hidden trick I am not aware of.
I'm looking threw videos for ya. It's brand new rite

Stupid question bud what channel do you have your esc plugged into?
Here's a video on your controller and binding and calibrating. You have all the correct setting as far as the type of servo type of esc. And apparently that airtronics isn't compatible with sertant esc. So what the video. And see if you have everything correct. The video you are watching is only about the HW esc. The lipos are fully charged 3s or above correct. Gotta ask man. So the video below is about your controller I would watch it. Because it seems a little much for a controller imo.. let us know bud...

Last edited:
Thanks, I checked it, set it (VR adjustment) but still same problem.
Hopefully tomorrow my seller will give me more information on my problem. :-(

I'm going to send this thread to another member see what he says because I'm lost. If you have the esc in channel 2 steering in 1 and batteries are full I don't know what's going on. And you rebinded and calibrated correct?
@Greywolf74 sorry to bother you but if you wouldn't mind take a look at this I'm lost for words

I'm going to send this thread to another member see what he says because I'm lost. If you have the esc in channel 2 steering in 1 and batteries are full I don't know what's going on. And you rebinded and calibrated correct?
@Greywolf74 sorry to bother you but if you wouldn't mind take a look at this I'm lost for words
I would double check the calibration procedure in the owners manual and make sure the calibration steps match whats in that video. If they do match then it sounds like theres an issue with the ESC at which point you either need help from Hobbywing tech support or exchange it for a new one through the seller. Sounds like everything else is correct.

This isn't the first time I have seen someone with an issue with the button on their Hobbywing. If you can't get it warranteed, you can buy a new switch off ebay. Or, you can just jump the wires for a quick fix.

Mystery resolved. Unit is *not* faulty. Diagnosis from EU market hobbywing guru confirmed, it's my "fault" and I should buy XT-90 circuit loop bridge/closure/adapter and not use 2x 4s batteries (in series).
Seems like ESC detected it and protected itself by not wanting to work at all.
Need to buy this thingie now.

Thank you for your help and ideas!

Mystery resolved. Unit is *not* faulty. Diagnosis from EU market hobbywing guru confirmed, it's my "fault" and I should buy XT-90 circuit loop bridge/closure/adapter and not use 2x 4s batteries (in series).
Seems like ESC detected it and protected itself by not wanting to work at all.
Need to buy this thingie now.

Thank you for your help and ideas!
Oh wow that's crazy I remember asking about the power level. Didn't think that the way they were connected was the issue.. interesting dam hobbywing 🤣🤣 glad you got it figured out bud

Car works. Damn, that's a LOT of power! :-D
Thanks for all the help.
Feel free to close this thread.

Back