NEW ENGINE SWAPPED, I Need Help!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V6king

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a HPI RTR RS4 EVO 3, I just finished installing a new engine (OS 18 CR-V) and first off it doesn't have rotostart, it's pullstart and I have blisters on my hands because I can't get it to run right. I was able to start a few times but after ALOT ALOT ALOT of pulling. It's a new engine somethings gotta be wrong. I noticed that the gears on the crankshaft don't align perfect with the one's on the car but it could result because I can't get the backplate to screw in tight all the way. How can I lock the crankshaft so I can screw on the lug that holds the gears...

Thanks

If the gears on the crankshaft you're talking about is the clutch bell, then it should align fine. Just how far off are they? Are they sitting at an angle, or just spaced differently from one another?

As far as locking the crankshaft to tighten the "lug" that you mentioned, I think you're talking about the flywheel nut, and to do that it's best to have the engine off, then you can either use a locking tool (a tool that goes in the glow plug hole and literally holds the piston down, or you may hydro-lock it with after-run oil. Whichever you choose, be careful, and take note of the way you have to tighten it, and the position of the piston stroke. The tool can put a dimple in your piston, so I wouldn't recommend that, but some use it without a problem, the choice is yours.

Good Luck.

how do you hydrolock it? I don't have the tool so that's definitely my best choice..

thanks

V6king said:
how do you hydrolock it? I don't have the tool so that's definitely my best choice..

thanks

put the piston just high enough to cover the intake & exaust port, then remove the glow plug & fill the chamber with afterrun oil & reinstall the glow plug ...the after run oil will not allow the piston to move through its stoke ..."hydralocked"

will regular nitro work? just wondering before I do it, I don;t have any after run

thanks

I don't do any method of locking the piston; it puts a LOT of stress on the connecting rod/piston/wrist pin. All I do is grab a pair of Channel lock pliers, and get a good grip on the flywheel, then wrench away on the clutch nut. Saves a lot of stress on all parts involved.

thanks that worked and just ran my first tank of break in....

some more break in to do tommorrow... Do you guys think this engine (OS 18 CV-R) is a little quicker than my original T15 HPI ... I'll like to get some comments on it...

Thanks

The .18 CV-R should have a lot more power than the T-15 you had. Good to hear you got it going, be sure to let us know how it goes for you. I think you will love that engine.

anything in particular you know about the engine I don't know?

::JP

the .18 cvr has insane low end compared to the mill your used to and as with any OS they are very easy to tune and holding a tune also