Never, EVER buy a Toki, unless you want this happening to you

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvhCo

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
A few days ago, my Toki .15 finally started, but only ran about 5 seconds until it ran out of fuel.
As I was completely dry on fuel, I waited until today to buy some (RC shops are closed in weekends here), got some and finally got ready to break it in.
Hyped as I was, I went on and started roto-starting it.
It was sputtering, trying to start, so I kept trying, until...
It suddenly locked. Like something huge was blocking the cylinder.
The flywheel wouldn't budge, so I opened the backplate, and was greeted by this:

IMG-20180702-WA0001.jpeg
The piston LITERALLY ripped its pin off the crankshaft.

Well, that's Toki .15 for ya. Guess I'll spend my summer without RC.

That blows. I had an OS 21RG split a rear crank bearing ball in half once which tore the piston all up and had an orion crank shaft snap in two while tightening the flywheel nut and another OS21RG crank snap in half where the intake journal is. Sometimes, it's just a defect regardless of the brand.

What vehicle did you have the engine in and where are you located?

Ouch. Are the 21RGs known for their weak cranks?
The Toki was on a 'break-in bench' when it happened. Factory new (as the seller claimed), never seen action before. I'm located in Goteborg, Sweden (spending the summer here). Summers aren't that cold but it rains a lot. Either way, if it hardly started in warm conditions, I do NOT wanna try and start one when it's cold.

The OS21RG was a well regarded engine... 15+ years ago. LOL! That's what I ran many many years ago. I had 3 or 4 vehicles, all with that engine in them. By today's standards, they were not powerful engines, but they held a tune all day long and were easy to find the tuning window of.

I got so used to tuning around 30 min everyday, to the point where an easily adjustable engine would feel kinda empty.
I'm not a fan, but the OS I dream to own one day is the Wankel one. Blowing apex seals at 8th scale has never been so much fun :playful:

I've had a few OS engines since then, the OS18 CV-R(X), OS 18TM and OS 21TM. All of those will hold a tune all day long as well. I still have both of the TM's. The 18TM probably has 10 gallons through it and it's a spare engine now. Runs like a top with good power still. The 21TM is in one of my revo's. Break-in was a bit rough, but after a gallon and a half was through it, it has been a great engine as well. Not sure it's worth the $300 I spent on it, but it's far better than the traxxas 3.3 engine it replaced. LOL!

I've had many engines over the years. As I got older and more experienced, it seemed my engine prices went up, but my frustrations went down. 10 years or so ago, I got an LRP 28 for my aftershock. After a year or so of running that, I bought 3 more, one for a big block revo, one for my savage and one for a 1/8th buggy. The one in my savage gave me issues and in a fit of rage, I ordered a replacement LRP 30, only to have the issues remain. Ended up being a leaking seal in a fuel tank.

I've had a few XTM, SH, dynamite, Losi and HPI engines as well. I currently still have 3 nitro trucks, one with an LRP28, one with the LRP30 and one with the OS21TM. I started running electric a year and a half ago and that's mostly what I drive now. On occasion, I'll break out a nitro truck.

Back