Need some Tire info...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I just ordered a set of tires for my Tbird. This will be my 3rd set in 15 years, and I've always gotten Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s. They're the classic wide ovals with the extra 'sticky' silicon compound as part of the sports suspension and steering package. Well, they're discontinued now due to the size and are now considered "Classic" size tires. I want the raised white lettering, so Firestone is now out.
fs_indy_500_rwl_ci3_l.jpg

Tbird 500.jpg

Here it is on the car on the day a ball joint blew out. This set only has 40,000 miles on it but they're 9 years old. Even though the tread is really good, I'm at a point where they're getting hard and dry.
Cooper is now in its 100th year, so they must know what they're doing, but I've never owned any before, with over 40 cars. Any info on them? Below is the one I'm getting.
w11kc48_2.jpg

Last edited:
Ralph I actually had a set of those,used when I got them and abused by yours truly!..the only problem I had was a slight leak at the bead on 2 of them,bead sealer fixed the issue,....another tire I've always really liked was the bf Goodrich radial ta!...have you looked at those yet?

I looked at them at Sam's Club. I didn't care for the tread design. The Cobras had a very similar pattern to the Firehawks. More of an all weather tire with a larger lug pattern which is important here since it rains so much.

I would say they're a better rain tire/highway ect"cobra"...but the ta I would have to say are a better all terrain beat the snot outa tire

Be thankful your T-bird didn't have the TRX suspension which was phased out 7 or 8 years. My T-bird was 8 years old and it had the TRX suspension and you couldn't find any tires to fit the factory wheels.

The BFG Radial T/A is all I run on my V8 Dakota, and they get abused very badly, and have always put up with my driving.
Good wet/dry performance.
They are a great tire and soon the truck will get rebooted with a new set.

BeachExcursion015.jpg

@Rolex I just bought a set of Cooper CS5 grand touring tires for the wife's Equinox SUV about 2-3 months ago and so far have been very happy with them.

I think you'll be happy with a set of Coopers.

@hamz9561 what year was your bird?
In days gone by I used to really smoke some tires with my '69 GTO and a few other super cars. These days I'm just a highway cruiser but I usually have to do a few 225 mile round trips each month. I have the original 5.0 HO engine, so the "Cobra" seems appropriate.
I'm really glad to hear the good reviews. My appointment is tomorrow morning. Thanks to all for the info.

Mine was an '83 Heritage Coupe with the 5.0 as well. I still miss that car.

Cooper should be running a rebate this month as well, i got 70.00 of the set i put on the tacoma.

The car is in the shop right now. No mention of a rebate.

Wow! what timing. They just called. I asked about the rebate and it's a $70 prepaid Visa.
THANKS for that info. YOU da MAN, @tmaxxfreek!!!

Last edited:
Well......
No rebate. That was a prepaid Visa card from 40 to 70 dollars for certain tires. Naturally it wasn't for the ones I got.
I've been back twice since to have them rebalanced. 2 days ago I did a 225 mile round trip and once I hit 70 the car shook like a wooden roller coaster ride. Another re-balance helped a little, but it still vibrated the wheel through the 70s. 90% of that ride is at a 65 and 70 MPH speed limit, so it really sucked.
I just came back from the tire dealer with the same problem and they've ordered a new set for me that will be in tomorrow.
The guy that did the balancing told me the tires are fine and I have a suspension problem. I told him I had new struts, shocks, bushings, bearings, tie rods and rotors done within the last 6 months. The manager already knew that it was not a suspension problem and told me that before the last re-balance.
From my own research I've been able to find that a perfectly balanced tire will still hop if it's out of round. That's probably what the problem is but at least they are taking good care of me.

That sucks, but at least they are going to take care of them problem.

My father had a set of new Michelins that made his F350 bounce like a hoopty going down the road.
They were out of round and got replaced, with a good set and problem solved.

Back