Need some help with a TRX 2.5

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It had a 3.3, was a bit uncontrollable with it even with the long chassis... then it launched a rod. The 2.5R was perfect for one tank lol. A friend told me to grab a dynamite .19... I'm tempted to give up on this mill regardless at this point. Maybe it'll eventually make it's way into the nitro sport...

Just the one copper shim, should've miced it but didn't but it was there

My new Hpi engine had erratic running issues ,I pulled the head an had none ,don't know
if the factory forgot to put them in ,but I found two that would fit an it cured the issue!..😂

It had a 3.3, was a bit uncontrollable with it even with the long chassis... then it launched a rod. The 2.5R was perfect for one tank lol. A friend told me to grab a dynamite .19... I'm tempted to give up on this mill regardless at this point. Maybe it'll eventually make it's way into the nitro sport...

I realized that all these engines are made in Taiwan, except the high end ones, which are Japanese or Italian.
In fact, I wonder whether they all come from the same factory, but are slapped with different heatsinks and labels.

The other day, I pulled a Kyosho GX15 engine apart, only to realize its exactly the same as HSP VX18, the only difference being a heatsink.

Dont think Dynamite engine will be of better quality than a TRX, but traxxas engines do look nice with their blue cooling head.
Also, the only time you would break a conrod, is if the engine hasn't had a proper break in (break in temps) and you full throttle it.
Also, running the car off the ground and full throttle will do it.

I have a rustler with 3.3 and its a rocket, handles offroad with easy with a bit of extra power.

And remember, temps are very important when breaking in an engine. They tend to run too cold because they are set to rich factory setting.
So far, I have broken in a brand new trx 3.3 and a HSP VX18, they both run beautifully.

Last edited:
I realized that all these engines are made in Taiwan, except the high end ones, which are Japanese or Italian.
In fact, I wonder whether they all come from the same factory, but are slapped with different heatsinks and labels.

The other day, I pulled a Kyosho GX15 engine apart, only to realize its exactly the same as HSP VX18, the only difference being a heatsink.

Dont think Dynamite engine will be of better quality than a TRX, but traxxas engines do look nice with their blue cooling head.
Also, the only time you would break a conrod, is if the engine hasn't had a proper break in (break in temps) and you full throttle it.
Also, running the car off the ground and full throttle will do it.

I have a rustler with 3.3 and its a rocket, handles offroad with easy with a bit of extra power.

And remember, temps are very important when breaking in an engine. They tend to run too cold because they are set to rich factory setting.
So far, I have broken in a brand new trx 3.3 and a HSP VX18, they both run beautifully.
Rod didn't break, Rod went straight through the top of the piston lol. The failure on that to me was too much pinch but what was left of the piston seemed about right in the bore. I wish I still had that to take a picture of, Only time I ever saw anything like that was when a friend hydrolocked his boat's 350. Piston said no, rod took the wristpin straight through... That first 3.3 lasted a bit, just always overheated... would run fine then lose power and no amount of fattening would get it back. Let it cool and it came right back for about half a tank.

It wouldn't surprise me they're all the same. I am honestly thinking my issue is more the carb than the engine. I am going to try pressure testing it in a bath this week before I fully give up... But I did talk to a couple coworkers running the dynamite in place of the TRX and they agreed it was much less finicky on the tune up but, probably not any better quality. Hell, I still may throw my pro.15 at it. Thing runs fantastic.

So I retested it. Crank seals leak depending on the rotation of the crank. Obviously not worth repairing in my opinion so a new one is on the way. Bet those bit the bed shortly into usage.

Smartmove, did you buy a 3.3?
Haven't committed yet. The dynamite is tempting because I can have it tomorrow (i have the itch to run something lol) but it should have a 3.3 back in it. It's just that thing was a pain in the ass from day 1. I'd hope the new one is better but I don't know. I'll make the final decision in the morning though. Too burnt out to pull the trigger right now.

Haven't committed yet. The dynamite is tempting because I can have it tomorrow (i have the itch to run something lol) but it should have a 3.3 back in it. It's just that thing was a pain in the ass from day 1. I'd hope the new one is better but I don't know. I'll make the final decision in the morning though. Too burnt out to pull the trigger right now.

Go for TRX, and keep us posted on the break in!

I still haven't pulled the trigger. I called my friend who is running the dynamite to ask again how he liked it. He said the main thing he preferred abut it is that the carb seems to be better than the composite unit otherwise its about the same as his old 3.3 just holds a tune better in that regard. Ok.

So I priced it out, both options are about the same price. The 3.3 would come from jenny (seems to be most cost effective) the dynamite my LHS. I do want to call them and ask if they still do power up then I can also get the 3.3 today. I just think I may throw the thing if I get another TRX that behaves exactly the same again but I guess I have to trust the odds of now 4 having that exact kind of issue are slim to none.... hopefully.

So dad put his foot down... it is his truck. He basically said traxxas had 3 shots with 3 different engines and they all did the exact same thing. He said it's up to me but he'd prefer trying something else at this point. I don't know. Will report back as time goes on.

So dad put his foot down... it is his truck. He basically said traxxas had 3 shots with 3 different engines and they all did the exact same thing. He said it's up to me but he'd prefer trying something else at this point. I don't know. Will report back as time goes on.

Dad put his foot down..:rolex::hehe:

He's 52. He still can beat my ass... :hehe:

It is his and his money for the replacement...

I remember back in the late 90's ,my friends buy a different engine for more power ,the 1.5 was just way
under power for the truck ,I think they was buying 16 & 18 size engines for them!
But one of my other friend had that first gen 4-Tec street car an never had an issue with the 1.5 engine!..
I'm old school ,an was around when people was doing away with the the Tmaxx stock way an going
with Tmaxx big block conversion kits!..:hehe::cool: