Need some guidance on this...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve38

RCTalk Champion
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
So I have a Snaptain s5c. (What some call a toy drone) I don't. Lol. Anyway. I ordered new 1c 850mah batteries 4pk with stupid little charger. Pic below. And 2 orig. batteries.

Got new ones cause old ones are puffy tight. 😆. Yep puffy tight. Well 2new worked fine for 4-6 flights. 2new only flew couple min while lights flashing on drone for low battery.

All 4 now do that. So pulled out the pt's. Yea puffy tights. Hopefully it doesn't just dound funny to me. 🤷 if it does. They flew maybe 3-4 more flights before just now trying them and just up in air flashing lights then uncontrollable.

Looked it over again and seen the wires appear to pulled not apart but out some. Pic below. Best I could get in here atm.

How do I figure the problem out?? I don't have a charger other than the crappy little ones. For that plug. And even then in only have the cheaper spektrum smart (but not smart) without display.

Any and all help helps.

Last pic is none informational to the post. Lol. Just like how it looks. My ground side aircraft deployment system.

Attachments

• 16345117393237954985581755325943.jpg
    16345117393237954985581755325943.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 20211017_184756.jpg
    20211017_184756.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 16345117838562917551548810567919.jpg
    16345117838562917551548810567919.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 44
Those chargers suck. You need a good charger for LiPos.

If you can't see where your batteries are at voltagewise, you can't care for them properly.

LiPo's should be charged to a max of 4.2v/cell. When not in use, they should be charged to 3.8v/cell. Never run them below 3v/cell.

Watch some vids on LiPos. You need to learn about them if you aren't familiar with them.

Puffy batteries are damaged, and need to be checked/disposed of.

If battery puffs on first few uses usually battery is bad dispose off. poster b4 me said invest in a different charger and educate yourself in lipos more
if batteries are puffing then rc is drawing to many amps ...id check all connectors and replace .. add a piece of tape on connector end so you have something to grab onto

Those chargers suck. You need a good charger for LiPos.

If you can't see where your batteries are at voltagewise, you can't care for them properly.

LiPo's should be charged to a max of 4.2v/cell. When not in use, they should be charged to 3.8v/cell. Never run them below 3v/cell.

Watch some vids on LiPos. You need to learn about them if you aren't familiar with them.

Puffy batteries are damaged, and need to be checked/disposed of.
Those things I've learned a bit. Y I started with spektrum smart. Newb safeness. Didnt know the charger itsself was so crappy. It was "sold" to me by hobby shop where I got truck.

The drone I've had for a couple years. Wife got it for fathers day for me. No knowlwdge I knew was needed at all then. Came with what I needed to fly.

Truck battery is still never charged atleast without running some. They discharge themselves. No option. Or well with this charger.

But my question was.....how can I figure out my problem with the drone??

Buy a better charger?? That's it?

I only have 7 lipos. 6 of which are 1 cell 850mah. The other is the forespoken 3s smart lipo.
If battery puffs on first few uses usually battery is bad dispose off. poster b4 me said invest in a different charger and educate yourself in lipos more
if batteries are puffing then rc is drawing to many amps ...id check all connectors and replace .. add a piece of tape on connector end so you have something to grab onto
Only ones ever puffed were stock with drone. Only used after the new not puffed were 💩. My other lipo is cared for as how directed by spektrum. If it goes bad due to that hope they warranty it. If not was going a diff way when I can. Or have more lipos

The piece of tape thing. That helps. Its a real short length on drone wires.
So probably the crappy chargers with the small 1c batteries prob charges all the way?? And kills them??
Oops. Would have to be the new charger that done it. The 1st charger with drone and orig batteries never quit till I plugged them in it.

Last edited:
here and a charger can destroy a lipo.. when I 1st started in lipo some lipo brands would have a warning on packaging dont use this brand of charger mrc was brand due to there slight overvoltage in charging it was 4.25 volts and batteries would swell ..
http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos

You definitely need a proper LiPo charger. Then you're also goign to have to make or buy a charging adapter for that type of battery connector. I can't say for certain the the charger is the issue but I can't rule it out since its a cheap Chinesium charger.

It would also help if we had pics of the batteries (new and old). Pics of the side that has the lipo info printed on them. Some measurements, in mm preferably, of not only the batteries but the battery compartment in order to help you try and find better lipos. It could just be cheap crappy lipos being the problem too. Hard to say.

Just as a side note, 1C 850mAh does not mean a 1 cell 850mAh lipo, it means a lipo that has a maximum amperage output of 1C which in the case of an 850mAh lipo is 850mA. C rating has to do with max safe amperage and has nothing to do with cell count.

You definitely need a proper LiPo charger. Then you're also goign to have to make or buy a charging adapter for that type of battery connector. I can't say for certain the the charger is the issue but I can't rule it out since its a cheap Chinesium charger.

It would also help if we had pics of the batteries (new and old). Pics of the side that has the lipo info printed on them. Some measurements, in mm preferably, of not only the batteries but the battery compartment in order to help you try and find better lipos. It could just be cheap crappy lipos being the problem too. Hard to say.

Just as a side note, 1C 850mAh does not mean a 1 cell 850mAh lipo, it means a lipo that has a maximum amperage output of 1C which in the case of an 850mAh lipo is 850mA. C rating has to do with max safe amperage and has nothing to do with cell count.
Ok thank u. I'll get some pics and info. i appreciate the help.

Cheap could def be prob here. Lol
And I know now I shouldve learned more when ingot the drone. Hell, I just didnt know I even needed some edgeumacation. Lol

I'll get that info and I'll get back in a bit. Ty

Hell, I just didnt know I even needed some edgeumacation. Lol
That is a common thing in this hobby. People buy rc's with LiPo's and have no idea what they are getting into. And the Chinese manufacturers are just more than happy to sell to people without worrying they might be sending people something that could potentially burn down their home, without providing proper instructions for caring for the batteries/fire starters they send out.

Yes sir. That is exactly how it happened. I did do some research before getting the big lipo. But didnt know these small would even be the same. We learn tho. So heres the info and pics

Old battery

20211018_135708.jpg

- Ds 802540
3.7v 550mah
+ 181220
1" wide ×1 1/2" long × 1/4" thick
Measured so easy with a tape measure. Plus no calipers to this point for myself.

New Battery
20211018_135911.jpg

Battery compartment:
1/2" deep × 2" long × 1 1/8" wide.

Old and new batterys measured same.

HERE is some 650mAh 25C replacements that should work. If you're willing to buy your own ends and a pair of crimpers I could probably find you some 1000-1200mAh that would fit.

HERE is some 650mAh 25C replacements that should work. If you're willing to buy your own ends and a pair of crimpers I could probably find you some 1000-1200mAh that would fit.
No need for.....well not gonna be able to get more tools atm. Charger is gonna be next. And the drone is my "fly when I can't drive" drone. And its cheap. Love it or not lol. I will def check the link. And READ up alot on lipos. B4 I go any further in that game. Had been and still will be the plan.

I always appreciate the help @Greywolf74 .