Need some computer help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCNitro

Fist of Goodness
In Memoriam
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Can any of you computer guys help me out please? Every time I try to view one of your vids i keep getting a message windows media player cannot open file, then it tells me to connect to the internet or try again, but obviously I am already connected to the internet. AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH :doh: :doh: :doh: I am gonna get rid of this piece of crap and get a mac!!!

Do you have a firewall? Sounds like you are blocking Media player... X

Also just right click and save a file to your desktop then open it from there if it plays on your local machine I deffinatly thing you have something blocking your Media Player...X

Try updating you media player. You may not have the Codecs that you need. Also, most of the vids I've seen on these forums are Quicktime. Do those ones work for you?

X, I do have a firewall, I have not tried that I will try that next.

John I updated wmp to 9.0 today still no good. I have no problem with quicktime vids only windows.

That Mac is looking better and better.

Thanks guys!

Give me link to a file that you are tring to watch? Also What Firewall do you have ? Try closing it and then watching a file ..X

you know myne does the same thing i just dont have a firewall. But then again i have the cheapest computer around proably.

Is the firewall a hardware based (i.e. a router) or software based like ZoneAlarm?

Also the movie could use a special codec as John Clark already suggested, if so you WILL get this error or other errors similar to it.

-WoodiE

Well corn kid be more specific tell me the error and what you are using. X

X, I tried shutting down Zone Alarm but it still did not work. I was trying to view Eddys video of the cirrus servo, especially after your comment about your boss wondering what you were laughing at.

Ok so you right clicke dthe little zone alarm icon in the systray and did shut downzone alarm then closed windows media and tryed the link again? Also tell me exact error you are getting. I think its a problem getting blocked instead of a codec because it should say you need a codec and go get it and open a ms page saying not avaliable if he could hit net. Anyway try closing zone alarm again closing all instances of media player then hit link again...X

Have you tried to right click, then save target as option. Then once it is downloaded, open the file. If that does not cut it, then it is your media player.

As for the Mac...They are my computer of choice. Unfortunately, I have to use a weak assed Dell at work.

Good luck in your quest...let me know if you want to know anything about the Mac (BTW, I had no problem opening the video:hehe: )

NO Dont go mac its the Dark Side AHHHHH

Ok man do this then click help at the top and then check for update and see what happens. X

Originally posted by NCNitro
did that, still nothing...
What does did that still nothing mean? Did you get an error or a page opens and nothing happens? IT possible you are waiting for it to download. X

no I get an error message, it says I am not connected to the internet or try again. I am connected, I turned off the firewall, I updated wmp, I still can't get it to open.

Last edited:
Originally posted by x_789
Well corn kid be more specific tell me the error and what you are using. X
its ok i was just stating but ill monitor this thread to se if it helps

Back