Need nitro rc advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aWombat

RC Newbie
Reaction score
hello everybody! I'm very new to this, i recently picked up a used 1/10th scale Kyosho V-one s II with no engine. any advice on what engine to order for it? preferable under 200 aud

Welcome to the forum. I'm not a nitro guy, so not much help. But maybe try to find a used RC with the correct engine? I know that's risky, but as long as you buy from a reputable seller, it should be ok.

yeah I've looked into that, but the car is from 2003 so I'm not sure about getting the same engine it had...

hello everybody! I'm very new to this, i recently picked up a used 1/10th scale Kyosho V-one s II with no engine. any advice on what engine to order for it? preferable under 200 aud

The key features you'll need in a compatible engine are:

Small block
Rear exhaust - Edit: side exhaust is viable, but you'll need a somewhat unusual manifold that curves around to the back.
Bump start (the belts pass behind the engine too closely for a starter backplate) - Edit: I may be mistaken about this, the recent V-One R's are this way.
Short threaded or OS shaft - not a long threaded shaft.

An Sh.12 Engine fits the bill for cheap ($100-200), or an OS 12 TG max V.4 is slightly over your budget, but one of the nicer engines you could put in that car. Those both have OS shafts and you'll just need a pilot nut to hold the flywheel.

There's also some GS Racing V12RR's on eBay for under $100, though those have the short threaded shaft and you'll need a pilot shaft for it.

Last edited:
It looks the car can support pull start engines with either side or rear exhaust, so I suspect most .12,15,18 engine would fit.

It looks the car can support pull start engines with either side or rear exhaust, so I suspect most .12,15,18 engine would fit.

Looks like you're right, I edited my post to reflect this.

Welcome to RCT. With replacement engines. .12-.15 small block is what your looking for. Like it was said above the OS engine are a little over the 200 mark. But would be well worth the extra money. They are well built engines. You also need to look at the crank shaft length and thread. For the clutch bell..

What are you looking to do with it. Just get it running or you looking into racing eventually?