Need Help: Tuned Pipe Hanging Techniques

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marauder

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Since I have had my Traxxas T-Maxx 2.5 I have wanted to mount the Traxxas Dual Chamber Resonator Pipe that my friend had given me for it. Well, the problem is that I was never given any mounting hardware for it.

What techniques do you use to get a strong and reliable mount? Everyone has suggested using a coat hanger but I can't replicate the bend angles that are needed to make a hanger for this pipe.

I do want this to look as good as it performs, and I really don't want to do a hack job on this. I have seen people's mounts, and every one looks custom. Some are very simple, some are complex, some look good and some don't. Just let me know if there is some kind of tool on the market that I can purchase to help me make those bends to mount this pipe.

Pictures and videos are extremely helpful if at all possible. Thanks guys.

Needlenose pliers work well for making small bends and loops.

Needlenose pliers work well for making small bends and loops.

Well, close. Thanks for the response though Cupooterluvr. Your videos are really good, you should consider making more in the future if you ever install more upgrades you should just videotape your process. Seriously, it helps people like me. I'm 100% capable to do work, but my creativity is lacking. Seeing how other people do things helps me tremendously. I didn't really get much from the engineers in my family, but more of the analytical side of things. I deal with computers and accounting more.

I was trying that with the wrong wire too, and wasn't getting good bends. I finally had time to go to my garage and I actually had some welding rods and round-nose pliers which handled the job nicely. The welding rod is easy enough to bend with the pliers and doesn't flake off like the other stuff I was using. The round nose pliers allow you to bend the wire to the exact diameter you need. I was able to replicate the stock exhaust hanger loop perfectly. I will post pictures of this as soon as possible and show how I did this. I'm not 100% certain welding-rod is the cheapest wire to use, but it doesn't flake and it has the right strength to hold everything secure but still bend to the angles needed.

I was shocked that there aren't that many write-ups on this, if any. It may sound stupid, but me being the over thinker I am it could have saved me some time.

You may be meaning the same thing, but needle nose pliers really do not work well for making the ends for the pipe hangers. Round-nose pliers are the most helpful. Here they are.

round-nose-pliers.jpg

Last edited:
I made a mount for my exhaust out of something similar to coat hangar. I've got a set of those pliers i used.

Yes, they made their way into my rc tool box now. Anyone know what size set screw I need for that pipe? I don't have one, but I'm headed to the LHS tomorrow to see what they have.

Well, close. Thanks for the response though Cupooterluvr. Your videos are really good, you should consider making more in the future if you ever install more upgrades you should just videotape your process. Seriously, it helps people like me. I'm 100% capable to do work, but my creativity is lacking. Seeing how other people do things helps me tremendously. I didn't really get much from the engineers in my family, but more of the analytical side of things. I deal with computers and accounting more.

:yes: I can make alot more videos if you wish. I know that typical pipe hangers are very stiff and hard to bend, I had to clamp the pliers in a bench vise to hold the wire tight enough to do serious shaping on my Resonator.

I usually videotape my RC stuff when I think it's interesting but I can make videos for various things if you want. My little Nikon Coolpix 5600 takes great video for just a small subcompact digital (with sound too).

That reminds me, I could take video of what my TRX 3.3 is sounding like even though it's richer than factory.

EDIT: oops, didn't see that previous post before I posted this one. My Resonator came with a setscrew in the box. Yours should too. If not, it's just a 2mm hex grub screw.