Need Help Selecting My Second RC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwags

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey friends I need help selecting my second rc. So my first rc is a Amazon Bezgar Hm124 its a 1/12 scale brushless and it honestly been a great truck once I upgraded the wheels, secured the servo with foam and got Zeee 60c 2s 1500 packs.
So here is my situation I will being using the rc once and occasionally twice a day when I walk my dog around the neighborhood. So 70 percent of the time I will be running the car on the street or the concrete sidewalk I use as a make shift track and the curbs in my neighborhood are like little jumps Instead of a flat which makes it fun. Along my walk depending on the path I go there is a little skatepark with a bowl and a half pipe I can occasionally bash at, a school with a large grass field and some woodchip and dirt areas to rally and 2 different grass parks with natural occurring jumps if the vehicle has the speed.
So my budget is 600 usd and I would love to spend a lot less. And I don't mind working on a car if there is a cheaper option that is great if you buy upgrades that comes in under the budget.
Plus I already have a 5A teenergy charger for 1 to 6s

Maybe a 1/8 buggy would work for you, they can be setup for street running pretty easily. Nitro or electric?

Touring, Rally, or Buggy? You can get all 3 of those in 4WD, and buggies can also be had in 2WD. I tend to stick to the cheaper end of the spectrum for my touring cars, so i usually just pick up a cheap Redcat car, and then some Tamiya rally tires and wheels, but, for buggies, i go with either Arrma (Typhon) or Traxxas (Bandit or Rustler). I use to stick strictly with Arrma, but, after recently picking up a used Slash and Rustler, and beating on them, i can see why so many like them, and, for upgrades, Traxxas based upgrades are cheap and plentiful.

Thanks for the quick responses. So what's important to me is electric powered, brushless electronics either rtr or upgradable too under the budget. I have only driven a 4x4 and I love it so probably want to stick to a 4x4 but I'm Also new and open to guidance and advice.
I want a fast rc that can pop wheelies and out run cars in my neiborhood so anything less then 30mph isn't going to cut it. Other things that are important to me is if the replacement parts are affordable and easily obtainable from places other then China preferably, incase I breaksome thing doing flips at the skate park. And on occasion I might be able to bash and jump at a local BMX track.
I have been looking at some Redcat vehicles like you mentioned but there are a lot of mix reviews about them and which one too get.
I like what I see from traxxas but it's hard to tell if your only seeing the good video clips because of there legal pressure? But the good clips I do see with the new maxx v2 are impressive but I just think it's way overpriced

Also by the way I have been researching rc vehicle consistently for the last month and I can't figure which one will work for me because it seems like they all have so many problems so maybe it's about finding an rc with problems I can manage? Correct me if I'm wrong but I have heard alot of people refer to arrma vehicles as a rabbit hole requiring consistent upgrades and repairs. And when you get the upgrades does something new break?

Also by the way I have been researching rc vehicle consistently for the last month and I can't figure which one will work for me because it seems like they all have so many problems so maybe it's about finding an rc with problems I can manage? Correct me if I'm wrong but I have heard alot of people refer to arrma vehicles as a rabbit hole requiring consistent upgrades and repairs. And when you get the upgrades does something new break?
Arrma, it entirely depends on the vehicle. Some have way less problems than others. I have an Arrma 3S hybrid i built using parts from different vehicles, and i have had a few issues with it, a couple being somewhat major. The diffs tend to have issues if they are the mega versions and you go brushless.

As for Traxxas, honestly, legal pressure never stopped me. I have a couple videos on YouTube of me hammering a 2WD Slash i picked up used at a concrete skate park:

This one the only thing i broke was a rear hub after a bad landing off a jump (look for the backflip towards the end), and:

This one was done in mild snow back when winter first started (now, we have over 2 feet of snow in the yard), and although i broke a front caster block, and had a battery issue due to not having the actual battery strap in it, this truck has been heavily thrashed, and, so far, those are the only two parts i have had issues with. I'm not saying Traxxas is the perfect choice, but, for many years i avoided them at all costs for my own reasons, until i picked up the Slash, and, if you watch my videos, I'm rough on all of them, and, the Traxxas has held up way more than my Losi 22S brushless, that i bought brand new, has.

An Arrma Typhon 3s is a cheap but good choice, just throw some street tires on and it will handle pretty nicely. I have had one for over a year now, I love it and I haven't really found any issues with it except for bendy shock shafts and a motor mount that can bend, but you can get a brace printed out for it and you can get a set of 6s Arrma shocks for it for pretty cheap if you live in the US.

Sounds like I'll need some new shocks, stronger motor mount? Anything else? Also is it capable of doing wheelies if so am I going to need a wheelie bar? How are the wheels attached, as in what style tires would I need to change them? Also would it be capable of running larger 1/10 Mt tires?

Sounds like I'll need some new shocks, stronger motor mount? Anything else? Also is it capable of doing wheelies if so am I going to need a wheelie bar? How are the wheels attached, as in what style tires would I need to change them? Also would it be capable of running larger 1/10 Mt tires?
The shocks aren't that bad if you aren't sending it 15 feet into the air like me, but the motor needs a support under it to prevent it from bending the mount. It uses 17mm hexes, so 1/8 buggy wheels/tires. It can do wheelies, but it doesn't do them that often, only on high-traction surfaces. It can run 2.8 MT wheels and tires as long as the wheel has a 17mm hex.

Arrma Vortex 4x4 3s looks like it would meet all your criteria. Perhaps throw that in the mix for consideration too? Cheers. 'AC'
Yes I have also been considering the vortex but doesn't it come out of the box with a mechanical problem
The shocks aren't that bad if you aren't sending it 15 feet into the air like me, but the motor needs a support under it to prevent it from bending the mount. It uses 17mm hexes, so 1/8 buggy wheels/tires. It can do wheelies, but it doesn't do them that often, only on high-traction surfaces. It can run 2.8 MT wheels and tires as long as the wheel has a 17mm
The shocks aren't that bad if you aren't sending it 15 feet into the air like me, but the motor needs a support under it to prevent it from bending the mount. It uses 17mm hexes, so 1/8 buggy wheels/tires. It can do wheelies, but it doesn't do them that often, only on high-traction surfaces. It can run 2.8 MT wheels and tires as long as the wheel has a 17mm hex.
Thank you for the information. So when you are sending 15ft in the air how is it controlling in the air? Are you throwing down flips with it or just clean jumps?

Last edited:
Arrma, it entirely depends on the vehicle. Some have way less problems than others. I have an Arrma 3S hybrid i built using parts from different vehicles, and i have had a few issues with it, a couple being somewhat major. The diffs tend to have issues if they are the mega versions and you go brushless.
Interesting that some are having issues but not others. I was under the impression that the 3S lineup were pretty similar. it also looked like the Vorteks issues were hit and miss, while the granite seemed pretty solid. probably a good idea to do some preventative maintenance/ adjustments before driving these things from what I’ve been seeing

Interesting that some are having issues but not others. I was under the impression that the 3S lineup were pretty similar. it also looked like the Vorteks issues were hit and miss, while the granite seemed pretty solid. probably a good idea to do some preventative maintenance/ adjustments before driving these things from what I’ve been seeing
Other than the obvious differences in length, body style, and wheels and tires, the 3S vehicles are identical. I have a hybrid Arrma Mega/3S i built, using parts from the Granite, Big Rock, Senton, Typhon and Vorteks. Here is the build post i did on it on the Arrma forum: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/3s-mega-hybrid-build.48405/

I would go with the Typhon also. A simple wheel change and you can run dirt or a hard surface.

What about the Team Corally Skeeter seems like alot more value?

Hey friends I need help selecting my second rc. So my first rc is a Amazon Bezgar Hm124 its a 1/12 scale brushless and it honestly been a great truck once I upgraded the wheels, secured the servo with foam and got Zeee 60c 2s 1500 packs.
So here is my situation I will being using the rc once and occasionally twice a day when I walk my dog around the neighborhood. So 70 percent of the time I will be running the car on the street or the concrete sidewalk I use as a make shift track and the curbs in my neighborhood are like little jumps Instead of a flat which makes it fun. Along my walk depending on the path I go there is a little skatepark with a bowl and a half pipe I can occasionally bash at, a school with a large grass field and some woodchip and dirt areas to rally and 2 different grass parks with natural occurring jumps if the vehicle has the speed.
So my budget is 600 usd and I would love to spend a lot less. And I don't mind working on a car if there is a cheaper option that is great if you buy upgrades that comes in under the budget.
Plus I already have a 5A teenergy charger for 1 to 6s
Congrats ! What does your dog think of your wheels ? Some thoughts. ON-ROAD vehicles are OK on pavement but NOT good on grass. Some of the most popular multi-mode vehicles out there would be the TRAXXAS STAMPEDE and the TRAXXAS SLASH.
Both are available RTR ( ready to run ) 2WD and 4WD. Since you like tinkering/building they are also available as DIY KITS. I've built both. The build instructions are well written and easy to follow. Because of their popularity alternate and after market bodies are available pre and un painted. K.I.S.S. , ( keep it simple ) but buy a spare battery. Battery ? Since the dog walks will be liesurely, BRUSHED motors and NiMH batteries with a TRAXXAS ID changer will do. As you grow and SPEED becomes important, BRUSHLESS motors and LiPO batteries will become desirable. The higher milliamp-hour rating your battery has the longer it will run before recharging is needed. TRAXXAS transmitters also have options for BEGINNER and ADVANCED modes. BEGINNER might make a leisurely perambulation with your pup more pleasurable :) You also might like to do some video filming on the cheap. Micro-size cams ( dashcams ) can be had for well under $50 through places like WALMART. Have fun, enjoy; you never know where this great hobby will take you; FPV ? TELEMETRY? BOATS ? PLANES ? QUADROTORE ? ... ... ...

I have two arrma 3s trucks. The senton and the big rock v3. I love the big rock with the wider stance. Very stable and on 3s does wheelies all day. I have the stock tires and a set of road tires. The stock tires do pretty good on the road as well as grass or dirt. The only thing I broke on it was pulled one shock end (bottom loop) off. Fixed what caused that by putting some limit straps onto just slightly reduce the travel in the fully extended position. The shock is what was stopping the suspension at full extension thus pulling off the end. After market shocks would also be a fix. It will do close to 50 in stock form. I don’t jump it real high or long and it’s been good. It will do back flips too.

Back