Need help regarding nitro exhaust.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newnitro2020

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
Hi I just added fuel to my Kyosho buggy I want to see how it acted after I installed the pipe in.

I'm trying to plan on running and soon but I got some problems.

The engine but rise up high and rise. I started it in my room inside. Of course my mother got angry about it because of the smoke.

But I just wanted to know is when you change from a different type it don't matter what it is do you almost have to retune the engine as far as things.

Now keep in mind I got the height and at factory setting The low-end was slightly under 0.5 meters sticking out from the sleeve.

What I start this car inside engine what raise up and then die down. Then when you apply throttle sometimes it would raise up and then if you apply throttle and sometimes it don't.

I did a video explaining this it's 7 minutes.

I have the picture of the pipe that I bought.

I when I first bought it I noticed there was a wall through the outlet where the smoke comes out and I feel that this is a partial Muffler so what I did was I drilled that wall out and I wash the pipe carefully with water get all the shavings out which was a success.

I'm just telling you what I've had done. But the low and I think was a little bit under the factory setting sort of I think. But I don't know last time I ran it it ran okay.

But I think if you add a pipe that's different from the one you had it will change the performance.

And I was wondering if that was what I was experiencing as far as a pipe.

Also change to a different cleaner because the original air cleaner was no good.

I forgot to mention that if they out of those up a tiny bit if I flip at the throttle it goes down back to normal.

When I said it to what I think was the factory settings based on what they showed me on the manual I keep all my manuals basically.

The engine seem like it responded a little better without raising but idle back and forth. But I need to be sure if I'm right about what I'm saying.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Not sure but how could it possibly be safe?
It's an engine that burns fuel. It emits smoke. Have fun with it I guess.

Last edited:
It does no good to run that in the house anyway ,you are not going to get any
tune results from it just sitting an idling or revving it off the ground!
An yes ,any pipe change ,you will have to retune ,but you do need to know
what pipe & header combo is best suited for the engine an what type of
running you intend to be doing with the buggy!
Some pipes will actually destroy the engines full potential power performance!.. :cool:

Is that real that Nitro fuel can produce carbon monoxide poisoning inside?

I thought it was only in gasoline
Any exhaust, the result is the same, granted some may kill you quicker then others. Diesel trucks, when they spew black smoke, that is compressed unburnt fuel. Being that nitro is a similar setup to diesel, I can't say it is, but would you want to expose your lungs to a heavy concentration such as that if it does contain fuel particals?

Look into dirtbike expansion chambers to get an idea about exhuast flow.

Below is some good reading.
https://forums.traxxas.com/discussion/comment/3525998#Comment_3525998

Well ,carbon monoxide ,you can stand staying in it long enough to
commit suicide ,nitro fumes will run you out of the house before
that will happen!...😂🤣😂
Actually I've had those situations where I actually start things before I run them outside. And that's only for priming purposes. Yeah if there's enough in the air you will run out of the house as far as eyes being irritated and just the smell.

That's a good idea to do it inside at all. I went to a hobby shop one time a guy at 1/10 scale he ran it always partial throttle but the whole place I couldn't even stand it.
that will happen!...😂🤣😂
I actually looked up and it says that Nitro fuel does have carbon monoxide as one of their formula. It has the ingredients that make carbon monoxide. Some fuel engines do harm than others. All carbon monoxide combustion's are dangerous actually.
It does no good to run that in the house anyway ,you are not going to get any
tune results from it just sitting an idling or revving it off the ground!
An yes ,any pipe change ,you will have to retune ,but you do need to know
what pipe & header combo is best suited for the engine an what type of
running you intend to be doing with the buggy!
Some pipes will actually destroy the engines full potential power performance!.. :cool:
Thank you for telling me the pipe change information. When I looked at the carburetor originally it wasn't at the factory setting.

It was set where it was running right on the old pipe.

But on this pipe here being on the buggy now. It'll actually raise up the idle or fluctuate RPMs as far as idling.

So this is something I'm learning now that you need to retune the engine every time you upgrade a pipe. I will remember this day for sure.
that will happen!...😂🤣😂
Wall Muffler inside the exhaust port here's a picture of a full-scale one for the example.

But the one on the hyper pipe that I got I actually thrilled that wall out because I wanted to be a non Muffler pipe.

I'm assuming the designer had on hyper 7 or hyper whatever what's the design that gives good performance but muffles the sound.

Attachments

• 40_SERIES_original_mufflers.jpg
    40_SERIES_original_mufflers.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
It means I withdrew my statement.
I just didn't know what that means you see I'm not text literate.

What is that wall that I drilled out called? I know it provides a certain flow that the exhaust air comes two. But the reason why and knock that out was because I want the engine to be kind of loud that's why.

I got a headache. Thank you for your response.

If the wall you drilled is the exhaust tip, its called a stinger last I heard.

I just didn't know what that means you see I'm not text literate.

What is that wall that I drilled out called? I know it provides a certain flow that the exhaust air comes two. But the reason why and knock that out was because I want the engine to be kind of loud that's why.

I got a headache. Thank you for your response.

There is a difference between tune pipe an a muffler!

Tune pipe is for enhancing performance in which there is a calculated restriction for what
the engine needs for its performance!

A muffler is a noise inhibitor that has some sort of baffle or walls to slow down fast moving gases .
it is the fast moving gases that actually make the sound!

A muffler type will kill the performance of an engine .especially a high performance engine!..:cool:

There is a difference between tune pipe an a muffler!

Tune pipe is for enhancing performance in which there is a calculated restriction for what
the engine needs for its performance!

A muffler is a noise inhibitor that has some sort of baffle or walls to slow down fast moving gases .
it is the fast moving gases that actually make the sound!

A muffler type will kill the performance of an engine .especially a high performance engine!..:cool:
thanks