Need help makeing file size smaller (not a computer guy)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domination

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well I've been wanting to put pics from my digi into my members gallery for a while now but the file size is 121k from the camera. The quality is at 0.3m which gives the smallest file size but its still to big. So how do i make the file size smaller. BTW the hieght and with are ok. And also i dont have like photoshop or whater those art programs are.

Tough call, without Photoshop. You must have a photo editing program that came with the camera. Look around in there.
Somewhere there would be 'image size' and that's where you can reduce them. There would also be editing software that would allow you to crop them or adjust color, contrast, etc.

If you dont want to go for the $400+ Adobe PhotoShop another alternative (and almost as good) is Jasc PaintShopPro. You can download it off their site for under $100. I'm sure you could find it on the net alot cheaper <wink> but I'm not about to support piracy and tell you where.

Either way, without photo editing software there will be no way to resize the picture that I know of.

hey thanks guys but on a new site i found to host pics i found a program make specifically for resizing pics. And it was free! LOL

Mods could one of you close this thread?

I wouldnt close the thread... people are always looking for ways to do things with there computer. I personaly use the powertoy from microsoft to do a quick re-size on pics. Its called image resizer... all you have to do is select all your pics and just right click and pick resize. The rest is self explanatory.

Here is the link

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Use any of these power toys are your own risk. I have been using the image re-sizer without issue for a few years.

sLY

I think Photoshop is close to $600. I have a legal registered copy that was given to me by a friend who bought it and found it too complex to deal with. He also gave me the 2 1/2" thick $48 manual for it.
The program is intense!!! There's NOTHING you can't do to photos in multiple layers.
Thanks to a secondary program within Photoshop called Image Ready (that I just discovered today) I'm also able to do animated .gif files.
(like my Avatar) I didn't make him, just adjusted his blink rate and resized him.

There are a number of methods for reducing filesize on images. Resizing it to a smaller image area is one method. Changing the resolution of the image to a lower resolution is another method. Selecting a file format that has some built in compression like (JPG/JPEG) is yet another method. From there, your creativity can take over.

If the image is something without need of a bazillion colors, reduce the color resolution from millions to (32-bit or 64-bit color) to hundreds or fewer (16-bit and 8-bit). This will decrease the image quality, but as you shrink images the need for millions of colors starts to go away.

Realize, that there is rarely a need to do all of these things. I typically resize my images to meet new size (as in area XXX by YYY) limitation and then reduce the resolution as necessary to get the final filesize down memory-wise.

I use a share ware program called Graphic Converter (by Lemke Software). It looks to be a Mac specific bit of software, but it handles everything I need.

Back