Need Help Adjusting Steering :(

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnynfl05

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys,
i used the steering trim on the radio and everything looks fine,
but when i run my car it keeps steering in the right direction :(

any ideas why and how it can be resolved????

I would take off the servo horn, turn on the radio and center the servo. After you have done that make your front wheels as straight as possible then put the servo horn back on. After all is done run your car and fine tune it with your trim settings while the car is moving.

Steering in the right direction? Why, that's exactly what it's supposed to do.

I take it you mean it's pulling to the right. I would start with what vb said. Center your steering trim and remount the servo horn with the wheels as centered as possible. That should help a lot.

Also check your wheel bearings, drive cups, and anywhere in your driveline that could be binding or not operating smoothly.

thanks guys, i will check it out tonight when i go home

another problem i had last night, the car is still new and i dont know if i need to tune it, when i run the car, and go gradually to full throttle it goes fine but when i hit it right away to full throttle it stalls, the glow plug is new i just replaced it yesterday, any suggestions what i need to tune?

What kind of car, by the way?

Sounds like you're a bit off on the High Speed Needle. If the car is new, it's probably running rich. One thing that helps to tune is a temp gun. That way you can see if it's running cold or hot. Cold engines can be leaned to run better. But if they get too hot, you need to richen them to keep them from burning out.

its RTS RS4 EVO

i got it like 3 days ago and broke it in yesterday morning so i wasn't going at full speed

but at night, i noticed that when i go full throttle gradually it runs for a little then it stalls
but if i hit full throttle right away it stalls instantly

Hm.. No doubt a tuning issue. First, make sure you've completed the breakin as per the manual. Once you're done with that, you can start adjusting the needles. I'd go a couple clicks leaner on the HSN and see how that does.

thanks for all your help Candyman, i will try to try it tonight :)

I'm guessing this is the stock Nitro Star engine on this? While I'll admit it's been awhile since I ran a HPI engine, when I first got my RS4 MT and broke it in, it seemed to develop a very fine line between being too lean and too rich on the HSN. While I thought I had it dialed in just right, I ended up smoking it pretty quick and it clearly was as a result of running it too lean. As has been mentioned already, get yourself a temp. gun and use it in conjunction with what you see and hear (wish I had back then!) At the time, it sounded good and had the smoke trail out the exhaust, but it had to have been running hotter than it looked because the piston and sleeve were just smoked!

The best advice I got on HSN settings was on this forum and it was simple. Picture your HSN needle as a clock and simply lean or richen it one hour at a time and only after you've gotten your mill up to operating temp. Trying to tune it while its cold will cause headaches! If you lose track of your settings, return everything to factory and start over.

Have fun and good luck!