Need advice: LCG build from scratch - transmission and axle type

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msteiro

RC Newbie
Reaction score
New to the forum, dabbled in RC for most of my life, but just recently escalated to crawlers, got a SCX24 that is modded to pieces and a Redcat Gen8 v1 that is stripped for lower weight and more performance than scale. But limited how much more I want to put in to that platform.

So a friend bought a cheater-rig, damn him, because now I want one too.
But I am playing around with putting one together myself.

Generall idea with the build is:
- LCG/semi-bellydragger
- Lightweight
- Clean and "simple" build
- Slow and controlled over speed, I prefer slow technical climbs
- Rules be darned, not enough competitions here to warrant a build

For chassis I am thinking in the lines of Gspeed V3 or Rock Pirates, depending on availability and shipping costs to Norway.

Transmission:
I want direct motor mount, and thinking Holmes Revolver Snub 1800.
1. The Vanquish dig transmission (and copies) are tempting because of performance gain, but they are adding complexity.
2. Lightweight simple transmission is...simple and lightweight. Can add overdrive to axles.
3. Overdrive transmission like Element fex, adding complexity, but seems like a sweet feature.

Any tips or other recommendations?

Axles:
I do not have any strong preferences, but cleans and simple is in the back of my head.
Since I am looking at lightweight, standard plastic axles are an option, but heavier metal ones add "free" weight down low.
Width, clearance and steering radius is the biggest factors I can thnk about.
Wide axles are good for articulation and sidehilling, but can limit in tight spaces, but I prefer and have access to more "open" rock, so I am leaning this way.
Turning radius is important, so might sacrifice clearance for radius.
1. Straight wide axles, simple and tested AR44s fex.
2. Capra portal axles...sexier, more clearance and heavier
3. SCX10iii portals or similar, high clearance but not so wide, might be beneficial in tighter spaces and be a more "balanced" truck with regards to dimensions.
4. I can borrow the Redcat axles..

Portals give clearance, but also higher center of gravity, ability to clear obstacles vs sidehill performance.

In short, what I am wondering the most about is what "combination" of capabilities that give the most balanced and overall performing truck?
One thing is when choosing a kit, but when choosing everything from scratch I suddenly have to consider every option, and how they work together.

Appreciate any feedback, experience or other tips that I am sure I haven't thought about.

I can only speak from my own experience building my first belly dragger, but I was very happy with it. I'll be posting pictures of it soon.

If you are planning on going ultra light, simplicity is your friend. I think you'll appreciate the clean look and feel. Clean, minimalist rigs are unlike anything commercially available. Maybe focus on overdrive in the front axle or gearbox or something that doesn't add more weight and complication.

I based my build on the gspeed CF chassis. It's a bit of a pain to source and collect all of the parts, but totally worth it. If you go with the AR44 axles, you can just order the pan hard link that they sell on the site. I actually kept track of my build on a spread sheet. It gets crazy, if you are just ordering parts without a clear plan, especially when it comes to these custom chassis. Someone should put together a "modulargrid" type site, for crawlers.

For axles, it is hard to beat the AR44's. Lots of parts and upgrades available for them. For instance, the SSD diamond pro axle case, for buttery smooth slides over jagged rocks. Not expensive either. You might also consider beef tubes, if really want weight in the axles. Far as portals, if you are focusing on LCG / Belly Dragger type rig, portals might work against you. Tip, purchase a builders kit, take out the axles and sell all of the other parts, to recoup much of the cost.

Salinas Design Concepts makes some nice custom, affordable, light weight, direct mount transmissions with OD and you can choose your color. Holmes 1800 is a good choice, IMO.

I don't think you need to consider every option. Just imagine how you want it to drive and go from there. I agree, 'rules be darned' I am also from a region where competitions are few and far between. I did try to stick to some of the SORRCA rules, just for the challenge. Who knows.

It's expensive building and designing a rig, but so much fun! Enjoy!

You might wanna check out procrawler.eu Flatgekko chassis. Save up on tax 😁

Negative G makes great kits for Scx10, Capra and trx4 axles. All you need is the donor model. No need to buy a bunch of parts you can’t use or research for days only to find out everything you need is backordered...I make my own stuff in my shop but if I didn’t I’d buy one of these.
https://negativegrc.com/product-category/lcg-chassis/

Negative G makes great kits for Scx10, Capra and trx4 axles. All you need is the donor model. No need to buy a bunch of parts you can’t use or research for days only to find out everything you need is backordered...I make my own stuff in my shop but if I didn’t I’d buy one of these.
https://negativegrc.com/product-category/lcg-chassis/
Not a bad deal, for a complete system with transfer case for less than $350. Takes care of the guesswork, but maybe not the most economical/precise option if you want to choose your own transmission or really dig in to specific build requirements like chassis material, or overdrive/underdrive percentages.

Not a bad deal, for a complete system with transfer case for less than $350. Takes care of the guesswork, but maybe not the most economical/precise option if you want to choose your own transmission or really dig in to specific build requirements like chassis material, or overdrive/underdrive percentages.
If it’s your first LCG rig and you have nothing in front of you to look at it’s very hard to know what you want. I was so confused when I built mine I just made the whole thing my self. https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/garage-lcg-crawler-build.132042/
Making one from parts you will almost guaranteed to buy about 100$ worth of stuff you can’t or won’t use. There’s tons of guess work in building one the first time.
Now that these are more popular I’m sure there’s less guess work because people post their builds and show what works with what. Links and panhard are the most difficult to get correct.

Back