NEED A QUIET TAIL PIPE/ EXHAUST

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanw23

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I just purchased a Rovan 1/5 scale gas buggy and it is LOUD! I live in a residential area and am looking for a way to quiet the car. I was wondering if I could get some help finding a good quiet exhaust? I am willing to lose a bit of power for a good muffler.
Thanks

You can try a add-on silencer. It goes on the end of your exhaust. I think Rovan even sells them. If not just search for rc exhaust silencers.

Yeah I have seen these but I just don’t know how quiet it will be and if there are better ones out there?

You can also ditch the performance pipe and go with a can-type muffler. That's what I ran on my baja 5bss when I had it. I couldn't stand the sharp/loud performance pipe long enough to even finish a tank. I replaced it with the larger 5T can and ran silicone pipe from the can to the rear of the buggy. It was pretty muffled, but still performed ok.

I think I had this one:
http://www.largescalerc.com/15483-hpihighflowexhaustmufflerfor5t5b-1.aspx

The 5B one was thinner/not quite as fat and I had ordered that one to try before the buggy showed up. I'm not sure how universal they are, but might be worth looking at.

2013-0705-Baja5B-Side-ReceiverTankCarbEngineCB-BodyOn.jpg

You can also ditch the performance pipe and go with a can-type muffler. That's what I ran on my baja 5bss when I had it. I couldn't stand the sharp/loud performance pipe long enough to even finish a tank. I replaced it with the larger 5T can and ran silicone pipe from the can to the rear of the buggy. It was pretty muffled, but still performed ok.

I think I had this one:
http://www.largescalerc.com/15483-hpihighflowexhaustmufflerfor5t5b-1.aspx

The 5B one was thinner/not quite as fat and I had ordered that one to try before the buggy showed up. I'm not sure how universal they are, but might be worth looking at.

2013-0705-Baja5B-Side-ReceiverTankCarbEngineCB-BodyOn.jpg

Wow! Thank you so much. I was just wondering if maybe you could send me a video of it running? I would also like to know how you installed it?

Just throwing this here from the PM I sent you last night:

The can just bolted onto the head of the engine.

This was the first time I ran it I think, pretty sure I had the larger can muffler on it:

Sorry for the quality, I took this in 2011 before I really started recording my stuff on a proper camera.

This is the only other footage I have:

The muffler addition does a pretty good job with quieting down the sounds. Only problem is it likes to come loose if you tumble. I'm thinking of welding mine to the pipe. This is a video I did of it at my son's bay, with the muffler attached. Check out about 7:30 in.