Need a bit of help with tuning

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rednexneffex2

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Got a new redcat lightning with a .16 engine in it.Break in went smooth and well.Had it running really well and was out for about an hour playing.Never had a single issue and ran really well.However I noticed the break was hanging up so I adjusted that just before putting it away.I waent to start it today and it doesn't want to stay running at idle.Turned idle trim up and starts and stays running until I hit the break to stop it and it dies.If I trim the idle down to where the car wont take off on its own it dies out within seconds.If I try to take off it stalls and dies almost immediately .Not sure how I can go from having so much fun to so much frustration lol.engine still has great compression. any help would be great.

I’ve been running it rich but there isn’t much in the way of smoke but I can tell you there is a trail of oil from the exhaust I can fallow the trail everywhere I went. I never dealt with tuning before as I always took it to my hobby store but they are closed now. I have all the factory settings still and the high is at 4 turns

lSN?

It ran great the the whole time until today and now the issues but I did notice it didn’t ever kick into second gear but I was ok with that as I was doing break in

Gotcha. I will mess with that tomorrow

It’s usually on the end of the slide.
1DC4FBFE-5760-4640-82A3-A56C12BE0E72.jpeg

Maybe it is finally at the point where it is broken in then

Cool I know where they all are and what they do I just didn’t do any of it as I got it done for free lol

it Sounds like it’s broken in and if you’ve run a quart of fuel through it then it’s good.
If it wants to flame out try taking the load off of it by keeping the wheels off the ground. Then if it starts to respond better, let her back on the road and keep at it.

I would take it in and they adjusted it up when I wanted it done. I am used to car carbs lol and it’s funny that this tiny simple one makes me nervous

I’ve run 3 quarts through it now

I will check it out. It sounds really weird too when I finally get it going. Almost like a boat engine if that makes sense.

I think it’s running extremely rich. I went through 6 tanks in an hour.

That is very useful thank you. I will be messing with it at lunch today. According to that chart everything is really rich.

back to right as rain and holy cow what a difference.Played with it all lunch and only went through 2 tanks of fuel.Thank you for all the help.

the only issue I seem to be having now is my hose keeps popping off of the muffler so I have to find a way to keep that on. Now I have to get all my wheels and tires glued up and get my shocks adjusted and make the body look good instead of lop sided and I can really have it looking good, Oh and I have to replace a dog bone already( whoops the curb jumped right out in front of it).I can't say thank you enough for the help.

If that's leaking or coming off, it will never run right. It might just have softened up with time. Cut half an inch off and reattach it. I'd recommend replacing it, though. It's only about a buck a foot.

Replacement definitely. Tubes are already too short for my liking.

Found the reason nothing was working right. So I cleaned everything up and replaced the tubes and a few other things. Then I started it and realized that the head was loose and spraying oil all over the place. Yep found the problem lol.

Back