My Team Losi Muggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

King of Bling
Reaction score
D4496A7A-6AFF-499F-9BAB-5318CDECC86C.jpeg

This is the second RC truck I ever owned. I bought in new in 2007. It was marketed as a “Hybrid Monster Truck.” It shares many components with the LST and LST2 monster trucks that were poplular back then. It came with giant Kingpin wheel and tires and it had a habit of chewing up clutch shoes (like 3 or 4 tanks and they were done). What many did was go with a vented clutchbell one tooth smaller and replace the tires with truggy tires. It also used a two servo setup for the steering, which I replaced with one high torque servo.

The original Mach 427 engine was about done so I put a Dynamite Mach 2 Big Red in it. I have about a gallon and a half through it and it runs strong. I removed the truggy tires and put the shockwaves on that I originally bought for my Kraton. The exhaust is also made by Dynamite and it pairs nicely with the engine.

There are some really nice features on the truck. They use CVD’s for everything. No dogbones. The diffs are sealed and are pretty easy to remove.

A711DC4B-788B-40D4-841A-C9BED4E6E244.jpeg
B5006CBD-2A41-4516-AFA2-79CD0ED5397D.jpeg
F696829B-0ACD-4A92-8C82-D3DFD6525962.jpeg

Truck is solid as a rock. I broke an A arm once when I first got it. That’s it. The shocks are a little soft. Stock oil weight is 30. I just put 50 in to see if it helps. It jumps pretty damn good for an 11 year old nitro. People have converted them to brushless but I am going to keep it nitro for the time being. It really is a fantastic truck. Here are a few more pictures. I included some with my Kraton yo give you an idea of its size.
6C5CB3B1-78B0-4F02-B8AB-1B12CECA8C11.jpeg
7887E4E8-1B15-4DE8-B04D-E2A1D3637547.jpeg
A3F84609-8ACC-429A-9CB6-5514462AC7DB.jpeg
E26DA308-B6E9-46CC-A08B-62B560734F54.jpeg
8E75C96F-A921-4842-B3B2-9A1C1E2A4184.jpeg
6EA64EDD-5259-4553-A9D7-25D421089123.jpeg

Looks good.

Many years ago, when I had a highly modified aftershock, I ran with a group who were LST fanatics, one had a muggy. Seemed he was always fixing something on that thing. His chassis being banana'd was his biggest gripe. A few good jumps and it would have a very visible downward arc to it. I think he ended up getting a 7075 chassis plate for it, but kind of lost touch and haven't run with them in 10 years. They all had kids/families that took them away from the hobby or lost interest.

Looks good.

Many years ago, when I had a highly modified aftershock, I ran with a group who were LST fanatics, one had a muggy. Seemed he was always fixing something on that thing. His chassis being banana'd was his biggest gripe. A few good jumps and it would have a very visible downward arc to it. I think he ended up getting a 7075 chassis plate for it, but kind of lost touch and haven't run with them in 10 years. They all had kids/families that took them away from the hobby or lost interest.

I’ve never had an issue with my Muggy. It’s built stronger than my Arrma trucks, that’s for sure.

I’ve never had an issue with my Muggy. It’s built stronger than my Arrma trucks, that’s for sure.
Good to hear. When looking at his, I wasn't sure how he kept messing it up. It was 50% LST2, but he kept destroying it. He was new to RC and was an awful driver. A lot of 15+ foot lawn darts. Pretty big/fast truck to cut your teeth on into the hobby. Everything on it was so beefy. The only thing I didn't care for were the big wheels/tires that come on the Losi MT's. Just too much mass and leverage for a basher like me.

If I were you though, I'd replace those plastic diff cases with alloy ones. Relatively cheap insurance. The diffs in my aftershock were original. Had 15+ gallons through them, 8+ of which were with an LRP28S3. I did pull the diffs the after about a year of the stock engine and replaced the inner cups with the HD ones that had steel inserts for the x-pins. I also put 50K in them and new bearings, but that was the only time I ever had the diffs out of that thing. Was hard to believe for me, coming from old savage 21 and t-maxx 2.5 days. I went through so many diffs in those trucks... I was so ready for the diffs to die on me that I had a spare set I got off ebay shortly after getting the truck. Never used them. Same with the center cvd's, all original to the day I sold it.

Check out rc monster .com and pick up a motor mount and battery tray .

When you did the conversion did you get rid of the brakes? I have a Mugen mbx6t and have thought of using the tekno elec cutch and keep brakes

Ok, I am going to convert mine and the electric clutch from tekno gives a bunch of drivetrain options. But keeping it simple with brushless will take away a lot of weight off chassis

Back