My Scratch built plane!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throttle

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
After the Buffalo RCNT Bash, I started getting into flying my slow stick and decided to build a plane that I can use my 300 speed motor,speed control and battery.(I upgraded from a 7.2 to a 9.6 after my first flight.) I did upgrade my servos to Hitec HS-56's and wow are they fast.
I Really enjoyed designing this myself. (and a little help from G2.) I plugged in my measurements to my G2 for test flights and then I started building. I decided on a 30" wing and 34"X4" fuse. The width of my fuse is 3/8's for ease of engine mounting. The plane with all electronics,battery and covering came in at 15 ounces. I am really pleased with the flight characteristics of it so I'm going to spend the winter doing some revisions on it and build a new plane with a brushless setup. My only flaw on the plane was my nose was weak and it broke at the engine mount from a hard landing. I'm going to peel back the covering and add a 1/32 piece of plywood on both side of my fuse and finish testing this weekend. I have to say there is nothing like flying and especially your own design. It's my first plane I have built except for my slow stick and I am pretty damn proud of it. Well here's a picture of my Xplane and thanks for listening. Scott.

Hey Scott, looks awesome man... I was thinking of building a park flyer one of these days. I have access to 4x8 sheets of chloroplast & possibly some 2x2 PVC stock.. I saw the plans on a website somewhere... I'll have to look for it again... You did a really nice job though... you Ignant fool....

Heres a good site for Coroplast designs. I use alot at my work, and was looking for a use for all the scrap we have.

SPADs

Wow, that is rad. I have a hard enough time building a kit let alone designing it....LoL. That is inspiring.

Thats some nifty poop dude!
I was wondering where you went. Lets see some vids.

RAMTech-RC said:
Heres a good site for Coroplast designs. I use alot at my work, and was looking for a use for all the scrap we have.

SPADs

My dad has made a few of those kinds of planes. He actually designed one that was very similiar to an ultra stick. First time we flew it, it flew awesome. But the last time we took it out we got MADD flutter from the controls. I barely got the plane landed

RAMTech-RC said:

SPADs

Thanks RamTech, that was the place I was talking about... Just couldn't remember the site..

Thanks for your input guys, as for the design of the plane, I'm going to Fields Hobby today and pickup some plywood so I can get fix my nose and finish flight testing. I'm going to taper the wings so I can make it one piece and slide it through the fuselage. I'm also considering using some foam on my nose sandwiched by some 1/32 plywood. I'm going to beat on this until winter and then start my revisions. Hey Imbroken let me know if you do make that plane I'd like to know how that turns out. I've seen one at Fields with an OS10 on it. I was thinking of building one and then I decided that I didn't want my slow stick parts to go to waste, so I wanted to design and use as many parts as I can. I will try to get a vid and more pictures when I finish repairing my nose. Thanks for your support guys, most friends I talk to just look at it and think it's only a snap together or something. If anyone wants to know it took me about 2 /12 weeks to build and that was about 5 hours a night. I will get more pics up in the next few days. Yes Ed I have been out of the loop and I have been trying to get back on this forum but I've been so busy lately. Scott.

Last edited:
Great work Scott, that is inspirational. Even a kit plane seems to take me twice as long as anyone else who builds it because I am so anal, I hate to guess how long my own design would take... I am such a fan of electric now I dont even want to fly my nitro planes. I just built another faomy kit from insanefoamies.com with some improvements of my own. I will post a pic in the park foamy thread I started.

Hey scottm I was not being anal at all because if I built it and it didn't fly, I would not of cared as much. I am going to work on the nose tonight and hopefully fly it Wednesday. By the time I'm done with it it will look like Frankenstein because it is an Xplane. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the compliments. Scott.

Well, I'm back on my Xplane to do some revisions. My first rev will be reinforcing the nose because it had cracked at the engine mount. I just peeled back the red microcote and I'm going to sand down both sides of the fuselage to sandwich two 1/32 pieces of plywood on each side of the nose. When the weather gets colder and there is no slush on the ground I'm going to fly it in a parking lot to see how it reacts. If all goes well I'm going to build my new plane with more rounded corners on the inside and outside of my fuselage. Also I'm thinking of making detachable wings so on my way home from work, I can pull it out and fly. I'm hoping to finish the nose soon to test and test some more of my other revs. My other revision is to add two more inches to each end of the wings. Here's a pic of my nose that I'm starting:

Last edited:
wow, you must have a really nice wing loading. can you take some pictures of the whole plane?

Kwong2001, I have some pics in my gallery. With a 300 speed motor and a 9.6v bat I can launch it from my hand. The weather sucks right now becuase it's about 35 and wet snow. When the temps drop, I can fly it without much worry of screwing up my electronics. I will have pics throughout the winter of my revisions.

Scott.

Back