My next RC Truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F.R.S. Ninja_007

RCTalk Addict
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Scale Builder
I’m debating on whether I should upgrade my Sl4sh Ultimate & Merv, get an E-Revo 2.0, a TRX-4 2021 Bronco, LC Racing EMB-TG 1/14 4WD Truggy, Typhon 6S BLX, or a UDR. Can I hear the pros and cons from these?

Last edited:
Well, what is your goal. All of them are completely different

I am not a fan of Traxxas for reasons listed here:

If I were to buy a RTR for myself today, I would go with ARRMA or Losi where both those brands are known for better durability.

That said you're all over the place with trying to select a class of vehicle. I see your driving style is "bashing" so I would nail it down between Monster Truck (MT) and Short Course Truck (SCT) where a MT is easier to do wheelies, back flips and the SCT will be more stable and easier to drive, but won't do wheelies. A Rock Racer (RR) on the other hand is a hybrid between a crawler and a desert buggy which won't wheelie like a MT but can crawl slowly over larger obstacles, but won't handle as well as a SCT.

If you think you might drive on a local race track, then SCT would be a great choice for a well balanced easy to drive/jump platform... if you want to go hiking on trails and drive over random rocks and surfaces than a RR would be an excellent choice. If you want to hit a local skate park and do lots of jumps and wheelies than a MT would be best. There is no single platform that does well in all conditions.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...rushless-rtr-with-smart-and-avc/LOS03028.html

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...v2-blx-speed-monster-truck-rtr/ARA4408V2.html

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...ushless-short-course-truck-rtr/ARA4303V3.html

If I were to buy a RTR for myself today, I would go with ARRMA or Losi where both those brands are known for better durability.

That said you're all over the place with trying to select a class of vehicle. I see your driving style is "bashing" so I would nail it down between Monster Truck (MT) and Short Course Truck (SCT) where a MT is easier to do wheelies, back flips and the SCT will be more stable and easier to drive, but won't do wheelies. A Rock Racer (RR) on the other hand is a hybrid between a crawler and a desert buggy which won't wheelie like a MT but can crawl slowly over larger obstacles, but won't handle as well as a SCT.

If you think you might drive on a local race track, then SCT would be a great choice for a well balanced easy to drive/jump platform... if you want to go hiking on trails and drive over random rocks and surfaces than a RR would be an excellent choice. If you want to hit a local skate park and do lots of jumps and wheelies than a MT would be best. There is no single platform that does well in all conditions.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...rushless-rtr-with-smart-and-avc/LOS03028.html

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...v2-blx-speed-monster-truck-rtr/ARA4408V2.html

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...ushless-short-course-truck-rtr/ARA4303V3.html
Our Arrma Granite is a problem child.

Our Arrma Granite is a problem child.

While I haven't personally owned a single ARRMA product, I have seen a balanced number of both ARRMA and Traxxas owners run their respective cars at the track in my area to make personal observations of the types of crashes and corresponding breaks to see that ARRMA is clearly more durable than Traxxas. I used to be a Traxxas Fanboi and actually maintained a Slash thread here:
I used to believe that Traxxas was very durable until I realized that I had to make a bunch of key upgrades to mitigate the myriad of design flaws with their platform and then it dawned on me that after so many upgrades from other aftermarket brands that I would've been better off buying a race grade platform in the first place.. shrug

I still prefer race grade over ARRMA, but if I was forced to buy a RTR today I would go ARRMA before Traxxas.

The king of bashers is TEKNO by a landslide.

While I haven't personally owned a single ARRMA product, I have seen a balanced number of both ARRMA and Traxxas owners run their respective cars at the track in my area to make personal observations of the types of crashes and corresponding breaks to see that ARRMA is clearly more durable than Traxxas. I used to be a Traxxas Fanboi and actually maintained a Slash thread here:
I used to believe that Traxxas was very durable until I realized that I had to make a bunch of key upgrades to mitigate the myriad of design flaws with their platform and then it dawned on me that after so many upgrades from other aftermarket brands that I would've been better off buying a race grade platform in the first place.. shrug

I still prefer race grade over ARRMA, but if I was forced to buy a RTR today I would go ARRMA before Traxxas.

The king of bashers is TEKNO by a landslide.
Oh, I wasn't saying Traxxas was better. I was just saying our Granite sucks 😜

Honestly, just about every RTR will have one issue or another where RTR actually stands for "Ready To Re-assemble"... I do a facepalm when someone buys a RTR with plans to replace all the electronics and do upgrades where they would've saved time and money building a race grade kit and bought quality electronics up front, doh!

I don't normally buy RTR anything, but this one was for the kiddo, and it had good reviews. But being our first Arrma, it didn't leave me with a good impression at all as to the quality of Arrma stuff.

Well, what is your goal. All of them are completely different
I’ll use the crawler a lot bc I have access to a seasonal creek; a UDR would be my race truck but I already have a Sl4sh, and the E-Revo 2.0 would be my basher. They’re all $500+ and I know I won’t be breaking many parts on the crawler but I would enjoy the E-Revo 2.0 alot more.
Yeah, it sucks but I’m not into monster trucks (yet;)

I have both Traxxas and arrma. All models have some weaknesses I don't think that arrma 3s and 4s are that great, but 6s is good. Slash 2wd has some weaknesses but 4wd is very good.

Erevo may not me the most durable but it's awesome to drive and I like unique platform.

Trx4, awesome crawler, indestructible, a lot of features.

UDR amazing scale trophy truck. But it doesn't like pavement. With locked diff flips way too easy. But it's awesome for off-road

I have both Traxxas and arrma. All models have some weaknesses I don't think that arrma 3s and 4s are that great, but 6s is good. Slash 2wd has some weaknesses but 4wd is very good.

Erevo may not me the most durable but it's awesome to drive and I like unique platform.

Trx4, awesome crawler, indestructible, a lot of features.

UDR amazing scale trophy truck. But it doesn't like pavement. With locked diff flips way too easy. But it's awesome for off-road
The UDR would be used a lot less than the E-Revo 2.0, and I would want to install steel wheel hexes and a rear diff before even really using it. I’m afraid the UDR would become a safe queen.
The UDR is also not easy to work on or clean.

The UDR would be used a lot less than the E-Revo 2.0, and I would want to install steel wheel hexes and a rear diff before even really using it. I’m afraid the UDR would become a safe queen.
The UDR is also not easy to work on or clean.
I have both, UDR and erevo 2.0, and also first gen erevo, summit, mini erevo and nitro Revo :)

If I could choose just one I would go for erevo because it's cheaper, and more versatile. UDR is amazing, and very unique but it doesn't like pavement. But compared to slash it's a beast

Screenshot_20230316-111433~2.png

I have both, UDR and erevo 2.0, and also first gen erevo, summit, mini erevo and nitro Revo :)

If I could choose just one I would go for erevo because it's cheaper, and more versatile. UDR is amazing, and very unique but it doesn't like pavement. But compared to slash it's a beast

View attachment 161922
Do they come with light kits now or did you get it during the promo?

Last edited:
Also what about a Traxxas 1/16 E-Revo VXL? I heard from @UltimateRCnetwork that the shocks don’t soak up impacts with the stock oil, and I would want to put in a center diff.

Okay what about an Arrma Typhon? I like the “TLR tuned” 6S roller but it’s so expensive. The 3S BLX is nice and only uses 1 battery, but it’s basically my brother’s Senton and the tires aren’t that great. The TLR tuned has better race tires, but I still want to get hole shots, hexshots or something better.

This isn't a mainstream suggestion, but how about a Tekno MT410? It might be a good time to depart the RTR fold and venture out into the Kit World.

This isn't a mainstream suggestion, but how about a Tekno MT410? It might be a good time to depart the RTR fold and venture out into the Kit World.

There is no other RTR brand that comes close to TEKNO durability, quality, performance and 50% lifetime warranty:
https://www.teknorc.com/warranty-repair/

i had a typhon 3s. to put it shortly. i dont think ill ever be able to buy an arrma again. it was that bad. (for me) it seems like I'm the only person on the entire internet who doesn't like arrmas though. i just had a bad experience with mine. i sold it for 150$ stripped of what i still wanted lol.

Back