My new ramp & Revo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigredkacy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
well, here is a sample of ramps i will be making and selling.

19lj.jpg

20qv.jpg

35sv.jpg

41zv.jpg

some thoughts and comments

Last edited:
Ramp looks awsome, I made one kinda like that but mine is 4 feet wide!

i am going to copy that design exactly. except i might make it twice as wide as my truck.

What kind of tool/meurserment device do you use to get the arh in the ramp?

Good call, I'd make 'em a bit wider, I'm still not the best driver around. Sweet transition though, reminds me of the days when I used to tackle those on a skateboard.

Pretty nice, but I'm with the others... not being a pro driver, I need a little more ramp or I never hit the stupid thing.

A ramp like that is good if you have somewhere to put it. Since I live in an apt, I don't have anywhere to store something like that or a vehicle to really haul it in. I made a couple ramps that are 2 feet wide that fold. Granted, I don't get the smooth transition you do, but since they are made of 1/4" plywood, they flex when you hit them. It's a real biatch to do flips off them, but I get pretty good distance. I also can hit the ramps from either direction since I built them to fold in the middle.

That is an awesome looking ramp. From my experience in take offs I see that having a ramp that is too long reduces your overall speed hindering your jump but having one too short can end up having your ride flip forward. Just make sure you don't have a ramp that will cause more harm than good. Its nice to have tools to make your own stuff!! Good job

Jon

Sweet Ramp. Looks like its well built. My first ramp looked just like that. After a few runs i realized that it was not wide enough tho, lol. I kept runnin right off the side. Anyhoo, looks great. Let us know how it works!!

What tool do you use to get the arch in the ramp sides even and at the right angle?

The ramp looks good.I think it should be a little wider though.

Not sure what bigred does, cause it looks like he has quite the setup there, but heres what i do. I have two flexible yard sticks that i tape together. Then i start at one corner of the board. I tack down the yard stick on its end, so it creates a curve. I just keep moving down the board and putting small finish nails in the wood to keep the yard sticks in place. That way you have a good visual for what your curve looks like and can adjust accordingly. Then I simply mark along the curved yard stick and have a line to cut along. Cut out one side and use it to trace the curve for the other. This way you will end up with symetrical sides.

Now you have your side pieces cut. Simple choose a width and cut some 2x4 to that length. Use the 2x4 to connect and brace the sides together. Finally get a sheet of wood and attach it to the sides, creating the surface of ur ramp. Then ur done!

Sorry if i confused you with the whole yardstick thing. Basically i just use it to get a good even curve that i can adjust before making the line. you could also just freehand the curve and adjust it till you like it. Next time i make a ramp ill try to take some step by step pics to give a better idea.

-Cobra198

Last edited:
well i am work at a staging compnay for concerts so this is made from scrap. We used a roter / router type thing with a circulare blade ( hell i dont know how to spell it :)

but anyhow ima use grading on the top its kinda like chicken wire for more trackion.

Ohhh a staging company, cool. Thats tight that u can get the scraps. Whenever i make one, i have to go out and buy the wood. Lucky You!

When I was alot younger,we built skateboard ramps and just used a string,pencil and a rod to pound into the ground.

Then you pound the rod into the ground and tie the string to it and then to the pencil. Lay down your plywood and adjust it so you can start the pencil at the corner.
Then just move the pencil on the wood and your arc is for formed. The longer the string the longer your arc will be. You might have to try it a few times. Then cut your arc and take that piece and copy it to another piece of plywood. Then cut 1X3's ( they are cheap and light,trucks only way 10 to 15 pounds) to length of how wide you want your ramp. Then screw the ends of your 1x3's as close to the arcs as you can and stagger them about every six inches or so depending on the size of your arc.
You also need to reinforce the bottom of the ramp with some crossbracing.
Take 3/8 plywood and soke it in water to help bend it for your ramp. You should soak it for at least an hour. Then screw the 3/8 plywood to the face of your ramp.
I'm going to build two ramps this year, one that is collapsible (about 3 feet high)and one for the backyard ( five feet high). I will post pics during my build.

Hope this helps. Scott.

Back