My HPI Nitro RS4!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeeDsTeR0011

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
1316topview-med.jpg

Also, I have this Hardcore Racing Titanium Chassis I bought. I dont know if its worth putting it on my car or selling it. Its brand new!

i-1.JPG

Put it on the car, it'll improve handling

thats hella sweet man. how do you like your fantom? i got a .12 fantom in my losi thats coming in the mail. i hope its what i expect it to be.

keep up the good work!
also I'm not expert but i would put the ti chassis on there. ti is super strong and super light, so since you have it already, might as well throw it on.

Actually Titainium is twice as heavy as Allumiunum. If you take notice, ti chassis plates usually have many holes in them compared to aluminum ones. They do this because it is stronger so you don't lose any structural integrity....however, if they didn't remove this material, it would wiegh much more than the aluminum plate if it was cut just the same as the aluminum plate. They are not changing the weight or density of the titanium, they are simply removing material from the chassis to make it as light as possible.

Titanium used in R/C is pure and unpure if you would like to call it.. it's Titanium Alloy. Most titanium alloy is grade 6Al-4V, it's the same grade 5 alloy Hardcore Racing uses as well as I use and a few other companies who make titanium alloy parts from. It is much heavier then aluninum alloy 7075 that's used in aftermarket parts or 6061 for stock aluminum parts. How much heavier? , I won't get into the mathatics involved in calculating the weight of them.

I design and make titanium alloy chassis, and the only way I can make the chassis lighter then stock, to make many holes in certain areas to reduce mass but keep the intregrity there, atlease stronger then the aluminum alloy chassis coutnerpart it replaces.

But for a CVD, the Titanium CVD I see probably is made also from 6Al-4V and it occupies about the same volume as these aluminum CVD but much stronger then aluminum. If you ask me I would still opt for titanium cvd over aluminum simply for the fact that aluminum compared to titanium used in the drive train is like comparing jello to metal.

6Al-4V is 6 part aluminum and 4 part valenum, ack can't spell, the rest is different alloys and titanium. As long as there's other metals with the aluminum, it will be heavier then just the aluminum alloy. And in this case, we're talking about titanium alloy 6Al-4V grade 5 which is NOT in majority filled with aluminum.

Best Regards,
Larry
F4i Modelsport Racing

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys. Well, I broke the car in about 10 tanks. My local hobby shop burned down like 2 months ago, and they will reopen in a month. So untill then I can't drive my Hpi because they need to tune it.

They need to tune it?? How many needles does the car have? Lol, this is easy, I used to hate tuning but I just found joy doing it so now I can't stop :D I can't wait to take me Storm out again!

I tried to do it myself by looking at the owners manual. But, it just looks like somethings not right when i do it. I just want them to do it. Oh, and it has 3 needles.

Hmm, three needles. Three needles is really scary. Yeah, you can get some tips from the member here but waiting might be better. I was looking into a fantom but three needles if alot.

there is one needle that u could adjust the idle, the other one is the mixture, and the other one is i dont know what

Did you beat up the pipe or is it supposed to be pushed in slightly by the stinger??

speed the 3rd 'needle' on the fantom is just your idle set screw. the fantom is not a 3 needle carb. tuning is very easy and something u will have to do all the time, so getting your LHS to do it is a waste. LEARN!

read some of the threads here about tuning, most engines are the same, and for some detailed advice PM fast eddy he has that exact same engine.

This is something that u must learn how to do - dont become reliant on someone else in this hobby, it will bite u in the arse.

thanks nitro addict, and No I didnt beat up the pipe, its like that

hey man consider getting some adjustable turnbuckels on that thing, you wont believe the differance in handeling!!!

ya, where could i get the complete set?

Oh my lord.. Good eye joneser... Yes, you really need to upgrade your turnbuckles. Being able to adjust your camber and toe is a must in handling.... And yes, it is a good idea to learn to tune your engine yourself. That's the whole fun of the hobby. To learn and do it yourself....

I've been in this hobby for 9 year lol, i still dont know how to do it. Well, I do know how to do it, but not good, I dotn adjust it to be perfect. So where could I buy myself turnuckles? I was thinking of getting them before you guys mentioned it, but i couldnt find one that was ready to go.

arent tie rods the same thing?

NRS3160.jpg

If you wanted to you could go to your local hobbyshop and just pic up some replacements for the RS4 3ss they come standerd on it and they are pretty cheap,those in the pic will work but you would have to ditch the ball mounts and skrew them right to the bulkhead and c hub! I have the RS4 3ss and have never broke a factory turnbuckel however during racing I have snapped them off the ball mounts so I made me me a costom set using T-MAXX tierod ends and the factory adjusterskrew thingy???

I'd rather use tie rods then ball cups. There would be more friction between nylon and a ball then a screw and a steel hollow ball.

fantom 15 , ,, excellent choice . i have one in my super. it flies , i can only imagine what it does to that rs4 ... you must have very grippy tires to even keep it going straight ..