My first electric car. Losi Lasernut

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVNed

Vroom Vroom
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I got a Losi Lasernut. I brought it home, charged the batteries and took it out in the yard. It did go but I was not impressed. in fact is sucked pretty bad. It wasn't fast, took 20 feet to turn around and no brakes. I was somewhat disappointed.
2021061906084652--6045942693497954860-IMG_3724-L.jpg

But I am an old nitro guy. Many times cars come very poorly assembled and adjusted from the factory.
The steering was loose so I tightened the screws on the rack.
2 of the wheel nuts were loose.
I put a different servo in for the steering. I had a Savox 1231SG from an HPI Octane so I used that. Overkill for this car but I had it already.
I calibrated the steering and throttle endpoints in the transmitter and receiver.
Heads up the endpoint adjustments are wrong in the book that comes with the car, Use the 2 rate knobs, not the 2 trim knobs like the book says.
Then I did a rebind on the radio after setting them.
Then I adjusted the ESC and changed the punch up 1 level, the drag brake to 5% and brake force to 50%.

So I wasn't getting full throttle, the wheels were only turning about 70% and they straitened out at higher speeds because of the weak servo and the brakes were turned off.
It all works now.
And now it is pretty awesome to drive. I am only running it on 3s and it goes and stops and turns like it should. I did put in the other pinion gear that come with it for 3S.

It's big too. Here it is next to my Kyosho FO-XX nitro 1/8 scale.
IMG_3725-L.jpg

The tires are the same height and the Lasernut has more ground clearance. It goes just fine in grass.

I think It's going to be a lot of fun now.

When you are used to nitros with mechanical brakes it is kind of funny on an electric car when you hit the brake and nothing happens so you hit it again but then you get reverse.

Honestly after the first time I drove it I thought I had made a big mistake. 2 3s 1000mAh batteries, a charger and the car was a pretty big chunk of change to buy something that drove that poorly.
I can't find info on the net anymore either. All the hits are ads.

I think the Lasernut isnt terribly popular. At least thats my impression. Someone may correct me. What info specifically are you looking for on it?

I think the Lasernut isnt terribly popular. At least thats my impression. Someone may correct me. What info specifically are you looking for on it?
None now. I found what I was looking for on an Aarma forum. They must ship with the same radios.

But that comment was really made about almost everything. When you do a search looking for information what it returns are huge number of people selling whatever you mentioned.
I put Wyze smart plugs on the lights for my big fish tank. They stopped working correctly and I started looking for what to do about it. I never did find anything. Just people wanting to sell you more of them.
I search for information about the drugs the doctor puts me on. Every website I hit has the same information, word for word most of the time.

None now. I found what I was looking for on an Aarma forum. They must ship with the same radios.

But that comment was really made about almost everything. When you do a search looking for information what it returns are huge number of people selling whatever you mentioned.
I put Wyze smart plugs on the lights for my big fish tank. They stopped working correctly and I started looking for what to do about it. I never did find anything. Just people wanting to sell you more of them.
I search for information about the drugs the doctor puts me on. Every website I hit has the same information, word for word most of the time.
Yeah, a lot of time if I google something and I can't find what I'm looking for within 5-10 minutes then I try to find forums specifically related to like in your case Fish tanks and ask questions in those. If I have to Ill also shoot an email to or call the companies support line.

Yes I am quite happy with it now. It was $469. But If they had any Kyosho Nitro Mad crushers they are listed for $439 with a 3 speed and solid axles.
kyo33153b.jpg
Hey now, I really like the way this dude looks! Not sure how I feel about working on a 3 speed transmission though but she definitely looks awesome :)

That is a stretched FO-XX. Same engine and transmission. The only thing wonky on mine is the steering and they are supposed to have fixed that.
Hey now, I really like the way this dude looks! Not sure how I feel about working on a 3 speed transmission though but she definitely looks awesome :)
It should be a really fun basher.

I was looking at that Mad Crusher the other night by Kyosho. In fact I’m impressed with Kyosho as a brand so far. Seems like that old school Japanese qaulity is still alive.

I have a Neo Inferno truggy and an FO-XX. Not the fastest but easy to start, always work, don't break and great fun. Everything you want in a basher.
You can get parts at Kyosho, at least you could before civilization melted.

Still looking for a good place to run the 1/8 scale nitros.

1971 - PPE to prevent the transmission of a deadly pathogen
iu

2021- PPE approved by the government to prevent the transmission of a deadly pathogen
iu

Emergency foodstuffs also shown.

I ordered 2 SMC 4s batteries. Now I have to change the pinion gear back to the 12 tooth. I was also reading that changing it was silly in the first place. The one Losi has you put in is 14 tooth. This gets the speed back up on 3S. I am thinking now I dont need that at all.

I will get this figured out.

Would going to an 11 tooth give me better low speed and mid throttle response and stress the drivetrain less hill climbing? I am hoping to run the car some down behind the house. Some of it is steep which I thought might be part of the fun to try and get up.

I ordered 2 SMC 4s batteries. Now I have to change the pinion gear back to the 12 tooth. I was also reading that changing it was silly in the first place. The one Losi has you put in is 14 tooth. This gets the speed back up on 3S. I am thinking now I dont need that at all.

I will get this figured out.

Would going to an 11 tooth give me better low speed and mid throttle response and stress the drivetrain less hill climbing? I am hoping to run the car some down behind the house. Some of it is steep which I thought might be part of the fun to try and get up.
Yes it would but before you go switching it out I would just try it out with what you already have and just stop and check the motor temps every few minutes and see if it starts to overheat first. If it does then yeah definitely back down a couple/few teeth. At least thats what I would do anyway because otherwise you may find that in the long run you didnt need to back it down. That being said if you do decide to back it down first then try the 12T before going to 11. Again this is just my methodology and is just a personal preference.

The manual says the 14 tooth will damage the motor on 4s so I will put the 12 back in and try it first.

Back