MT Guidance

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLBblitz

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey I'm researching a potential MT. I'm after three possibly mutually exclusive things; ability to pop crazy flips etc, Monster Jam style MT driving characteristics (big lumpy suspension etc) and scale looks.

I have a Losi DB Pro that is my shredding machine so I'm not needing that in this vehicle... Those Kraton style things don't do it for me.

Based on looks alone my favourite is the Kyosho Mad Crusher VE but I haven't been able to find much online that can really speak to it.

Is there anything out there the represents durability and build quality close to the DB Pro or is that not realistic in MT land?

One last thing..... Solid axle? I notice that most "monster trucks" seem more like giant stadium trucks/buggies. What's the verdict on going solid axle, like in the Kyosho, does it make life a pain in the butt or does it have its benefits?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey I'm researching a potential MT. I'm after three possibly mutually exclusive things; ability to pop crazy flips etc, Monster Jam style MT driving characteristics (big lumpy suspension etc) and scale looks.

I have a Losi DB Pro that is my shredding machine so I'm not needing that in this vehicle... Those Kraton style things don't do it for me.

Based on looks alone my favourite is the Kyosho Mad Crusher VE but I haven't been able to find much online that can really speak to it.

Is there anything out there the represents durability and build quality close to the DB Pro or is that not realistic in MT land?

One last thing..... Solid axle? I notice that most "monster trucks" seem more like giant stadium trucks/buggies. What's the verdict on going solid axle, like in the Kyosho, does it make life a pain in the butt or does it have its benefits?

Thanks.
IDK if it has the ability to pop crazy flips but this kit is from Losi and is a solid axle scale MT. Losi LMT

solid axle has its inherent drawbacks, mainly with the higher center of gravity, Independent suspension allows the weight to be lower so it can take turns faster and isn't as roll over prone.
as far as the Kyosho, @johnnydmd has been perfecting his with a pretty crazy build, though his is nitro, he is running a pretty significant powerplant in his. his has about nothing left of stock i dont think, but he might have some pointers for you.
+1 to the LMT, hear good things about it as well.

IDK if it has the ability to pop crazy flips but this kit is from Losi and is a solid axle scale MT. Losi LMT
Man it offers everything I want except I hate that body! This RC Driver review makes me want one so bad but that body sucks! I get that the solid axle thing is a weird "scale boy" thing but I really like the idea of quirky solid axle handling. If I could get an old school pickup body to fit this I'd buy it in a heart beat!

I'm sure there are other truck bodies you can find. Theres a bigfoot scale body out for the Traxxas Monster Jam type Stampedes. I wonder if it would fit with some additional body post holes. Even if that wont fit though I'm sure there are plenty of other bodies out there that would fit. :)

solid axle has its inherent drawbacks, mainly with the higher center of gravity, Independent suspension allows the weight to be lower so it can take turns faster and isn't as roll over prone.
as far as the Kyosho, @johnnydmd has been perfecting his with a pretty crazy build, though his is nitro, he is running a pretty significant powerplant in his. his has about nothing left of stock i dont think, but he might have some pointers for you.
+1 to the LMT, hear good things about it as well.

I have two of these now, both are heavily modified but have some differences. The first truck weighs about 2 lbs more than the second. Most of this additional weight is in the aluminum axles, which greatly lowers the COG, and gives it pretty decent cornering ability. It also uses a sway bar, which again, really helps out there, but that sway bar can reduce traction on the outside tires, so it's also running Renegades. It also employs an adjustable rear steer mechanism. The second truck has a bit of a softer suspension, no sway bars, and uses Firestorms and only has front steer.

To reduce overall weight, the first truck with the aluminum axles uses a lot of carbon fiber in the chassis, which also lowers the COG further. The drawback here though is that now with so much weight concentrated in the axles, that the truck is bouncier. The second truck is definitely the more "plush" jumping truck, but it's more prone to rollover. The first truck can rip right around the second in turns, it's actually pretty dramatic and pretty close to what my Tmaxx trucks are capable of.

https://www.jconcepts.net/shop/bodies/110th-scale/monster-truck
plenty of options here that fit the LMT and probably about any other solid axle MT you want.
To get the pickup bodies to fit you’d have to modify the roll cage, yeah?
I have two of these now, both are heavily modified but have some differences. The first truck weighs about 2 lbs more than the second. Most of this additional weight is in the aluminum axles, which greatly lowers the COG, and gives it pretty decent cornering ability. It also uses a sway bar, which again, really helps out there, but that sway bar can reduce traction on the outside tires, so it's also running Renegades. It also employs an adjustable rear steer mechanism. The second truck has a bit of a softer suspension, no sway bars, and uses Firestorms and only has front steer.

To reduce overall weight, the first truck with the aluminum axles uses a lot of carbon fiber in the chassis, which also lowers the COG further. The drawback here though is that now with so much weight concentrated in the axles, that the truck is bouncier. The second truck is definitely the more "plush" jumping truck, but it's more prone to rollover. The first truck can rip right around the second in turns, it's actually pretty dramatic and pretty close to what my Tmaxx trucks are capable of.
Sounds like so much fun. A totally different tinkering experience to the world of buggies etc.

Back