Mt decision, on the fence

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroMED

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hello All,

I am new to the community and have a couple of posts. This post is somewhat related to a previous one, but I don't think it's received as much viewing/attention as I had hoped because of the thread positioning and slight favoritism on a particular model when I first started looking. Further, as I received much information from community members Olds97_lss and RC_Addict and have nothing but respect for them both, I obviously welcome their opinions here as well.

When I first starting looking for my first Nitro MT, I was relatively convinced/sold on the T-Maxx 3.3 and REVO 3.3 and probably more so on the Revo as I thought top speed WITH DECENT handling were more important. Although speed and handling are still EXTREMELY high on my hit list, I read another post that essentially stated that first the Nitro Newbie is interested in speed, but not bashing, then you want to bash and so on and so on. So, if I have to be honest with myself, I think I'll be floating between both, but I am POSITIVE I won't be doing killer bashing. I don't anticipate or expect launching my Nitro truck 8' in the air or off a dirt cliff and all the kind of stuff. Grass fields/parks, baseball fields, dirt/gravel roads and of course concrete/asphalt are the conditions I will be hitting.

So, with that said, I prefer 1/8th scale over 1/10th and I essentially narrowed the field down to (3). Savage XL, Losi LST XXL and Team Associated MGT 8.0. Between the (3), I have read numerous threads and heard so many different opinions, it's amazing. As one community member put it, some love it, some hate it, some prefer to go elsewhere. For my purposes, I really do think the answer is one of these (3) rides.

The Savage seems to be the slightly better basher with the B/B 5.9cc/.36 Cu in, while the Losi LST XXL with the B/B 454 is probably slightly faster than the bunch and decent basher and then the Associated MGT 8.0 w/ the B/B 8.0cc/05 Cu in is probably the better balanced truck between speed and basher durability.

So, what do I want to do with these things. As I mentioned above...don't mind maintenance, but won't enjoy spending hours a week in the basement workshop. Speed is A MUST. Low end torque/get up and go is a big factor. Semi-bashing is likely in non concrete/asphalt conditions. Rolling wheelies for a couple of hundred feet seems like fun too.

My apologies for the long post, but I am very close to pulling the trigger and I want to make a solid first choice. Although I would love to have a garage of NITRO's, it's not gonna happen. Maybe a 2nd ride in a year or two, but probably not much more than that.

Thank you for reading my ludicrously long post and I appreciate your feedback.

Thank you.

Good luck with narrowing it down. At least your fairly certain on the scale your hunting for now. ;)

Keep in mind that with great speed comes great jumps!

Whether you intend to or not... 8' air is nothing when you have a rig that does 40mph. ;) I've hit a curb at WOT and hit more than 8 feet! lol

Well I started with the LST2 and now I have a savage, Revo, tmaxx, and LST2. What I have heard about the MGT is that they are a bit more fragile on parts. Honestly I would go with the Savage it's durable, fast(3 speed tranny), and great aftermarket support. I love all my other rigs but if I could only have one of them it would be the savage.

I am an old Savage junkie and i still love them. The Losi is the best handling fastest truck out of the 3 hands down. Losi uses good engines that perform awesome for RTR engines. All it would need out of the box would be the sway bar kit for it to make it more stable cornering, especially at high speeds. The LST is probably the most efficient MT when it comes to putting power to the ground.
The K5.9 in the Savage is a P.O.S. Axial makes it for them. Axial has terrible quality control. It too would need the sway bar kit IMO. Thank god HPI finally made one for it! If you go with a Savage, E-Bay the engine and put a Picco .28 or something better
The MGT 8.0 is a torquey beast no doubt, but it handles like poo. The tires are pathetic. It handles terrible. I'm no fan of Thunder Tiger's engines either. Very poor quality. Team Associated needs to find a better company to buy engines from.

8 feet of air is nothing btw!:D
IMGP7296.jpg

IMGP7284.jpg

The goold days, before I screwed up and got addicted to racing truggies.

I'm with scrogg on the power to the ground quotient. The LST center axles are almost parallel with the ground, which means almost no wear on the cups for a very long time. I can attest to that. My center axles have 11+ gallons on them with the last 4-5 gallons being an LRP28S3 spinning them. The downside though is their two speed... it's ok, but not as reliable as the ol savage. I still don't care for the huge tires on the entire LST line. Power/clutch eating hogs...

I gotta throw my support to the LST line. I would shy away from the XXL though. Too long. The chassis braces are prone to breakage. Other that the XXL though the line is top notch. Some of the best mills, electronics, and parts you can find on a RTR. Add some sway bars and you have a truck ready to race and beat most Savages.

picture.php

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Thanks a lot. Olds and RCAddict...you guys are like the Reference manuals to RC. Why bother with the F'n hobby shop...I'm just gonna ask you guys.
Scrogg, you bring up some points that I never even considered. Very interesting especially with the handling and engine thoughts. It's funny guys, the Savage was never really high on my list, but parts, customer service, post-support are huge considerations. I will admit Associated's internet presence is kinduv weak and that doesn't sit well with me. Regarding parts, I'm hearing the availability thing although I remember reading a post and someone needed documentation and Associated support was right up there. This freaggin decision is getting amusing for me. I think I'm so cautious because I know I'm not gonna have a basement full of these things...like I mentioned i my original post, maybe a 2nd ride in a year or two, but that's it.

It seems like Losi is winner from a company a quality standpoint, I wish the XXL had some of the LST/LST2 qualities, I guess I'm digging the 1/8th scale and all. UGH, WHAT TO DO, WHAT TO DO?

Remember that the LST/LST2/Aftershock line is 1/8th scale. The XXL is 1/8th extended (whatever that means). If you want the XXL by all means get the XXL. You must be happy with your purchase. Do not let us or anyone else dissuade you from your dream.

All in all I will admit that I am a Losi fan-boy. I have never had a Savage but a couple friends do. They are decent rigs. But I can trounce them on the track and bashing. Both my Savage buddies have had to replace chassis plates due to breakage. The worst damage I have done to my LST is break a ball cup on a steering link and loose a grub screw on an out drive. Oh, and a hex pin. This rig has even withstood my sister's boyfriends full throttle romp into a fence post. Come to think of it--that is when the ball cup broke. 40 MPH into a fence post!

As for the Associated--I have only ever seen one. The guy that had it loved it. It looked good. But, as Scrogg pointed out, the rig handled like it was running on greased tires. It slid around and suffered terrible body roll. Some think the tires on the Losi are too big, but they sure keep the rig planted. I would pull corners with mine where the guy with the MGT 8.0 would be walking to flip his rig back over. Granted, my sway bars really help the rig plant itself too...

Didn't help, did I? lol!

*EDIT* I do want to add one thing: look at Evilbay and other online selling places. Heck, look here! You will see people selling Savages and MGTs and A LOT of Traxxas stuff. You will not see a lot of USED LSTs. Ever. Why? Guys don't sell 'em! I just looked on Ebay. There are four for sale and only one is complete. Now search Savage. I lost count at fifty.

Last edited:
I'm gonna say Losi all the way. One thing about people not selling them though, they don't sell like savages. Why? I have no idea. Savages probably outsell them 3 to 1. I guess HPI is just a marketing machine much like my friends (NOT!!) at Traxxas. My money's on Losi, hopefully this summer in fact. ;)

I just thought of one negative about the LST. The bodies are paper thin. I have torn the crap outta mine. One day, when I can afford it, it's getting a NCNitro lid...

Back