Moving from Nitro to large scale- need some advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADOR

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been playing with Nitro cars for some time (not professionally, just for the pure fun of it), and i have an opportunity to buy 2nd hand (yet brand new) Losi 5t.
i have couple of questions to you guys:

1. what do you think are the main advantages of Gas RC Vs, Nitro? expect the shear size of course.... what are the reasons you think are worth such transition?
2. I heard from some people that "you can't have Gas cars in your house, they stink the whole place"? is this true also in new cars such 5t? its critical since i dont have outdoor warehouse...
3. what do you think are the main disadvantages of gas cars (again, except the size...)

thanks in advance!!!

I have a Rovan Baja 5b I bought because the HPI 5b wasn't available. My shop is a extra bedroom must down the hall from the living room and I keep it in there. I have yet to smell gas fumes.
Size is definitely a huge factor but for me, the fact that it burns high octane pump gas is very convenient and a gallon goes a long ways.
The Rovan has a ton of parts available and that is a must. I have yet to have any issues what so ever with it.
Lets face it, its just plain fun....:) If I had to make a choice of only one car to keep, it would be my 1/5 scale car.

Depends how sensitive your nose is... mine is very sensitive and I smell everything it seems. I had a HPI Baja 5B SS new and built it. Every time I ran it, my house would smell like gas for a day or two even after rinsing it with the hose outside. The joys of a 2 bedroom apartment. One of the bedrooms is my office/RC room. The smell had a tendency to trigger migraines with my wife. I think I drove it 10 times in 2 years, then sold it for half what I paid for it. lol!

4wd would be the better way to go regardless, which the Losi is.

Thanks guys! From here to there... found myself as an owner of a brand new LOSI 5ive T 2.0 ?

I run nitro and gas but the fuel prices are getting high for nitro fuel. Pump gas is way cheaper but you need a good place to run.

Ethonal free gas doesn't smell as bad or have a strong odor as gas with ethonal. Next is oil. Some oils are stronger and worse smelling.

The next part is how much fuel is in your carb because air can get there rather quickly. This is assuming on leaks. Congrats on your purchase.

To control the smell of gas, just store the rig in one of those large contractor grade disposal bags that you can get at any home improvement stores. They are extremely thick and will easily fit a 5th scale. Stuff it in and fold the end over under the rig and you are good to go. It’s how I transported mine in my SUV so I didn’t have to smell gas on the road.

I've posted in the thread back in Nov. 2020 and my baja 5b is still my favorite rig. I'm having a blast modding it. Before long it will definitely turn into a shelf queen but I have a ton of parts I replaced when I converted it to the Q Baja so I can start building another one any time.

Back