Mounting Proline Switch Tires To SC8 Rims ( the easy way )

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFMH

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I posted this on the AE forum and just copy and pasted it here. Hope this helps somebody out there who'd prefer to run a more track capable tire. In this thread I use the Switch tires ( 2.2 X 3.0 - Slayer size tires ) but other will be the same ( Bowties, Calibers, etc )

Well I mounted my Switch tires to the AE rims and was relieved to find that it wasn't nearly as hard as it sounded. I did mine a little differently than what you did and thought I'd share.

I left both inserts out, and first glued the 2.2 side and and mounted the beadlock ring. Then I pulled the tire over the rim so that in was inside-out:
IMG_9558.jpg

Next I took the small foam and stretched it over the 3.0 side and slid it over to the 2.2 side:
IMG_9559.jpg

Then I made sure that it was seated properly against the 'corner' in the tires, and made sure that it was even all the way around.

IMG_9560.jpg

IMG_9561.jpg

Then I slid the blue molded foam on, again making sure everything is straight:

IMG_9562.jpg

Then I cleaned the bead on the 3.0 side, and flipped the tire back over, then used a Q-tip and isopropyl to clean my surfaces again( I know it doesn't look clean in the pic ). I made sure that the gap between the tire and rim was even all the way around. I ran my tire glue in this slight gap:

IMG_9563.jpg

And cupped my hand around it for 30 second to set it, then ran electrical tape around it to set it:

IMG_9565.jpg

IMG_9566.jpg

I found this to be no harder than glueing any other tire/rim, aside from having to screw all the screws in. Hope this helps somebody out there.

Thanks for the post :thumbup: I've been wanting some different tires for my SC8 and never realized those could be used.

No problem:thumbup1: I really like the look of the Switch tires, I had to have them. Every time I read about someone mounting them up, it was supposed to be a real PITA, but well worth it.

I also read a mild tutorial that was posted, but it seemed backwards to me ( I could see that method being a REAL PITA ). I decided to do it my way, and took some pics along the way to help others who may be interested. I'm glad it helped someone!:D

Did you cut the back side of the tire down or just tuck it under the foam or what?

Did you cut the back side of the tire down or just tuck it under the foam or what?

Nothing was cut to do this. I first glued the side with the beadlock ring on it the outer side of the rim *2.2 side * ), then I slid the foams on, and then glued the back side (the inner side of the rim/tire *3.0 side* )

are those 17 mm hexes? I'm converting my nitro buggy and want to mount Traxxas Kuhmo on it

Yes they are..lol..I just linked this page to you from RCTech:D

Great post..I'am getting a SC8 within a couple days..:thumbup1:

is there any other wheels avail for these?like beadlocs?

Sorry I haven't responded, I was gone for 4 weeks.

The only other non AE wheels available for the SC8 are made by DE racing:
DE SC8 Rims

As far as the Proline tires go, as long as they are a 2.2 x 3.0, they will work.

Back