Motor Upgrade...WLToys A959-B ???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meshman

RCTalk Rookie
Active Military
Reaction score
I've just purchased my WLToys A959-B. I'm going to wait until I get my A959-B to purchase an upgraded Motor because I've heard and seen YouTube videos of the brushed 540 Motor and it's pretty fast. Does anyone recommend me going brushless and if I did can I just buy any type of brushless to install in my RC? How do I find the right brushless Motor by size, type, power, etc? And do I have to change out wiring and other items in the RC? I don't know how to find all the answers to these questions so that's why I'm asking in here. Any advice and/or answers would be much appreciated.

With any RC going from brushed to brushless will require changing the ESC.
If you're new to RC maybe just drive it as is, if you like it and want more fasts, then consider going brushless.

I’ve had one of those, you’ll need a new motor, ESC, receiver and transmitter because the esc is a two in 1 esc. It’s a receiver and an esc.

Because its a 1/18th scale, you're gonna want to look for a 1/18 ESC and motor combo. This is one i found doing a quick search: http://www.castlecreations.com/en/mamba-micro-x-0808-4100kv-combo-010-0147-01 You already have a LIPO battery, if what i read about them is right, but, you may want to check and see if it is compatible with the brushless setup you decide on. The ESC the car comes with wont run a brushless motor, which is why you need the motor and ESC. Someone else mentioned also needing a transmitter and receiver. I personally use FlySky for all my stuff, but there are a ton of cheaper ones on Ebay and Amazon, but make sure, especially if you get a used transmitter on Ebay, that it comes with a receiver, because receivers can be very pricey by themselves for some transmitter's.

Thanks Biggman, all the info is greatly appreciated, but I can't seem to purchase the RC I want. I've tried ordering my A959-B through Amazon and EBay and they won't ship the vehicle package deal to my APO. So I'll just have to wait until I can actually get it to make any upgrades. Do you know what area of RCTalk I can ask if anyone knows who can ship to APO?

Thanks Biggman, all the info is greatly appreciated, but I can't seem to purchase the RC I want. I've tried ordering my A959-B through Amazon and EBay and they won't ship the vehicle package deal to my APO. So I'll just have to wait until I can actually get it to make any upgrades. Do you know what area of RCTalk I can ask if anyone knows who can ship to APO?
Are you trying to ship to a military base? If so, the only option i can think of that might work is send it to a family member in the states, and have them forward it to you. I dont know a lot about APO shipping though, just what i found online, so you might want to ask in either the general chaos or introduce yourself areas of the forum.

Yes, I'm trying to send it to my APO address on Camp Humphreys, South Korea. I thought about sending it to my father then having him send it to me but I wanted to exhaust all avenues before sending it to him.